Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

941 Steering Clutch Adjustments

Metalman 55 ยท 2016-01-26 16:48

On my recently acquired 941 Ser # 80H 298X (cannot read the last number) I ordered & received a parts book on Ebay that covers that Ser # but this parts book covers lever steer not pedal steer like mine. I was wanting to ask if anyone may have a page or two that shows the linkage & mechanism inside of the steering clutch compartment. I believe there may be a roller assembly just inside of the case on the end of the linkage & I wanted to get a better understanding of what the breakdown is like, if anyone could help me. This machine has wet clutches & brakes & is power shift. My problem is the clutches are not releasing properly, before the brakes begin to apply.

Replies11
  1. #1d9gdon2016-01-26 19:18

    That should still be in your parts book.

  2. #2Metalman 552016-01-27 07:50

    Ok, thanks D9G Don.

  3. #3Old Magnet2016-01-29 12:59

    I have 841 Parts Book 80H1-3039, Form #UE070113. Look in the back of the book "Attachment" section starting at page #150. Arrangement number on page 141

  4. #4Metalman 552016-01-29 13:27

    Ok, thanks.....I have the same parts book & found it in the back of the book too now. Never thought to look in the back of the book & there it is. Another question....I have been searching a bit for a service manual & found one on a CD from "Service Manual Pro". Can anyone weigh in on the success rate as far as reliability is concerned with them & their products?

  5. #5Metalman 552016-02-16 17:00

    I did end up getting a reasonable priced Jensales service manual & we worked at adjusting the steering clutches & brakes some. I do notice that once the oil is warmed up the clutches do release much better. Since I have no idea what the previous owners had put in the steering clutch/bevel gear compartments & the transmission/torque compartments, I decided to change the oil & filters in both compartments. Neither the parts book or service manuals state what oil to use. Could I get some information on what type & weight of oil to use in both the torque/transmission & bevel gear/ steering clutch compartments? As far as operating temps are concerned the range will be from a low of 10f to a high of 85f. It will not be getting a lot of use, perhaps 100 hrs annually at the most & I will not be changing the oil to match the seasonal temps.

  6. #6Metalman 552016-02-18 12:56

    Can anyone help me identify the part # for the 2 seals in the "Steering Clutch Oil Strainer Assembly", (the lower item) as I cannot find them in my parts book, only found this diagram on an old forum post. Thanks

  7. #7kshansen2016-02-18 14:00

    Looks like the one in the upper picture should be a 5F1678 oring The one for the screen is hard to tell in the SIS parts book but I believe it is a 9H6067 which is about 7/8 id. The one for the cover in the lower picture should be a 1H8128 which should be about 3 3/4 inch id

  8. #8Old Magnet2016-02-18 14:58

    Back of the parts book again, page #146 Those are correct numbers.

  9. #9Metalman 552016-02-18 21:42

    Thanks for the part #'s for the various seals. Also, you are right OM, should have looked in the back of the book again. Question......why is there a Type 1 & Type 2 lubrication system?

  10. #10Old Magnet2016-02-20 12:47

    Check parts item #4. One uses a tube other uses a hose. No other difference.

  11. #11Nige2016-02-20 12:59

    It appears as though the original design was a steel tube which was later changed to a hose. I'd guess the reason for the change was that the tube was probably cracking as a result of vibration. I don't see any clips to fix the tube in place.