Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

943 Oil Leak

blk784 ยท 2017-01-16 20:08

Trying to figure out if an oil leak that has started would be an easy fix. I haven't had the machine long, ran it about 70 hours. Serial #31Y01542. I can see oil underneath the injector pump on top of what I think is the oil cooler and also below the oil cooler on some hoses. It isn't using much oil at this point, just wanting to see if anyone has any insight on what the cause of it could be since I cant really see behind the injector pump.

Replies18
  1. #1Dickjr.2017-01-24 00:16

    Your tractor looks different from mine , post the s/n and maybe a few more pics and it may be able to be solved.

  2. #2AllDodge2017-01-24 10:03

    Don't know of anything behind the pump on the 3204, I would say its leaking from the oil passages in the pic. There are some oil rings over each of the holes. Check the bolts under it to see if they are tight

  3. #3Dickjr.2017-01-24 19:47

    Alldodge that pretty new engine is almost a thread hi-jack.

  4. #4AllDodge2017-01-24 19:57

    What makes you say that?

  5. #5Dickjr.2017-01-25 13:15

    I was joking that's all.

  6. #6AllDodge2017-01-25 13:36

    Okey, dokey just had me puzzled that posting a pic of my motor was hijacking All good

  7. #7Dickjr.2017-01-25 18:10

    A clean fresh built engine is like a beautiful woman. I can't keep my eyes off it.

  8. #8AllDodge2017-01-25 18:13

    OK got it, understand but you may need help but will be there right next to ya

  9. #9blk7842017-01-26 11:16

    I believe 1985 is year model, Serial #31Y01542. I am going to try and clean the area up some and then will get more pictures.

  10. #10blk7842017-02-06 11:12

    I have attached more pictures that may help. I noticed that it is puddling up a little more this past weekend, on top of the oil cooler and when looking behind the fuel filter seems that the oil is coming more so from back of the engine or top right of the oil cooler. I plan on taking fuel filter off to get a better view sometime this week. I did also try to see if the bolts were lose that AllDodge is pointing to in the picture above but they were tight.

  11. #11blk7842017-02-15 07:56

    I have taken some pictures with the fuel filter off. Also, I cleaned around the top rear of the engine and noticed on the other side a small amount of oil leaking (also have pictures). Possibly one leak, top rear, and leaking down each side, and the oil just ending up on top of oil cooler behind injector pump? Any thoughts? Thanks!

  12. #12AllDodge2017-02-15 13:12

    You might just be leaking around the face of the pump, where your arrow points to

  13. #13Dickjr.2017-03-08 22:08

    My oil cooler has been wet for a good while , and seems to be the main source of my oil leak. Just checking in to see if you ever repaired yours and how it came out. Mine is a lot wetter than yours looks. I've had other things to keep an eye on , this is why I am just now looking into it.

  14. #14blk7842017-03-09 06:28

    No, I haven't repaired the leak. After looking at it closer, I almost think it is leaking down from somewhere else and just puddling up on the oil cooler and not the cooler leaking.

  15. #15AllDodge2017-03-09 08:43

    I would have to agree its not the cooler. The cooler is several plates inside the housing and the coolant just flows around them. If the cooler was leaking you would have coolant in the oil

  16. #16Dickjr.2017-03-09 20:24

    If we get a couple rain days I'm going to take the oil cooler off and check the gasket , orings or what ever else is in there. Mine seems to be between the top of the cooler and the block there are two bolts there. If I get into it I'll report my findings along with pics.

  17. #17AllDodge2017-03-10 07:55

    With my D3 the cooler could not be removed without cutting part of the frame away. You may have more room. The attached file is what was given to me from a member

  18. #18Dickjr.2017-03-10 22:43

    Alldodge , there is about 12 inches or more between the frame and the cooler. Its making sense to pull it and seal it up as I think its my main source of the leak. Thanks for the file , I'll put that to good use.