Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

951C Radiator ID

jonathanks ยท 2022-12-08 12:50

Hey everyone. Need soem help making sure I am looking for the right radiator core... 951C 86j3065 Radiator shop said i need a new core. Similar to Skynight for his D6C, they want ~$3400 ($2200 to build a core, $1000 for labor, and $2000 in misc parts.) HeavyEquipmentForums According to the parts book this is a 2P8183 group radiator. Core p/n 4N3474. Aftermarket through Off Road is ~$1100. Problem is the parts book does not depict the transcooler (torque converter cooler 2P1244) which I have. My setup looks very similar to that of Skynight's D6C although I assume smaller... Should I be concerned that P/N for my core is wrong? I can't imagine a version of these going out the door without a trans cooler. But could be there were other configurations, though I don't see that in the book either. Is this a case of CAT economizing drawings and using one for similar radiator builds across product lines and having the correct P/Ns in the book for each model? Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2022-12-08 13:58

    Got any reasonable photos of the radiator showing the cooler installation.? It's actually the converter cooler, the transmission cooler is on the LH side of the engine. Also photos of the LH side of the engine in the area of the engine oil cooler and just forward of it as per below. Can you locate a Part Number on either the top or the bottom tank of the radiator.? If you find anything on the tanks that would tie it to the 2P8183 Radiator Gp that would confirm your 4N3474 Core Part Number.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2022-12-08 14:17

    If your 951 has a cooler next to the raditor the cooler should be seperate just next to the core

  3. #3tctractors2022-12-08 15:21

    The 951C is fitted with 2 transmission oil coolers, they are both fed from the same pipe with a temperature regulator control that diverts the oil, this control is mounted below the engine in the r/hand side just near the starter motor. tctractors

  4. #4jonathanks2022-12-09 16:37

    I don't have any pics right now it is still at the radiator shop. I'm getting it back probably Monday, going to do it ourselves. Dave yes, the cooler is just mounted between the tans next to the core. Very similar to the pics that Skynight had in his post I referenced earlier. Thanks Nige, we had pulled the trans cooler and cleared a bit of crud from it as well. Will look for P/Ns once I get it back in hand. tcractors - Thanks that might actually give me a new place to look in the book. I found the cooler lines on in, but could not find anything from the block (diverter) to the radiator mounted cooler... One bit of encouragement. The 4N3474 came up with dimensions from Radiator Supply house that matched what the guys and Roppel had measured. But still need to do a bit of research and looking over the original to see what I can find. Talking the Roppel guy was super helpful. I'd asked about re-soldering in the leaky tubes (was a pipefitter and plumber in a former life...). But, he said there just isn't enough there to repair, too thin, I'd end up burning through a bunch of it before I got anywhere. Which means it is probably good I pulled it now rather than having it suddenly puke all over everything. That kind of stuff always happens when you are half teetering somewhere with it nearly impossible to pull out to get to where you can work on it...

  5. #5fest7772022-12-09 16:49

    give this company a try there in canada, if it aint too late , [email protected] give him your part number there really reasonable priced and the canada dollar exchange is in the u.s. favor -fest

  6. #6heymccall2022-12-09 17:02

    I only see the air to oil converter cooler.

  7. #7fest7772022-12-09 17:11

    pretty sure alot of medium too small loader's had either or, my 955 85j077794 is water cooled , the trans/converter cooler is attached to oil cooler, maybe this will settle this,according too the diagram thats is on the left side of engine,tctractors being from britain might be getting the others side of the road syndrome -fest

  8. #8fest7772022-12-09 18:25

    on the picture in quote #2 just right of oil filter is the head of the trans cooler , as its bends too the lower right fig#11 thats the trans cooler assembly

  9. #9kshansen2022-12-09 19:08

    SIS shows this one for S/N 86J2598-4041. Unfortunately the S/N info does not show up in the PDF file.

  10. #10tctractors2022-12-10 15:31

    To make things clear on oil coolers and position, if you sit in the seat your left leg is on the left side of the 951, the water cooled heat exchanger is on the left side of the engine bolted to the cylinder block, the air cooled section of the transmission oil cooling system is mounted on the right side of the radiator, just back from this cooler bolted to the right side of the chassis is the bypass control valve, if I recall it's the same part number as the oil control on the D6D, perhapse I should have made it clear what side left and right is, the left side in the U.K. has no levers to control the bucket, the right side is were the levers for the bucket are mounted, I hope this clears up this issue. tctractors

  11. #11fest7772022-12-10 16:40

    i was not sure where the lines went, looking at the diagram in post #2 , now i see the imposed or oblique trans and converter housing,also at the trans end in diagram post #2 the top line has the flange turned facing the viewer as to mounting on left side ? . or does the line cross over at the top . in that diagram would the lines be on the right side not left,i was just glancing at diagram and figured everything was mounted on left side ,my bad tctractors if iam confused to the line routing, 955's and 951's are close but not exactly the same, fest

  12. #12jonathanks2022-12-16 18:44

    Thanks for the replies! heymccall - Thank you! That diagram of the cooler lines is right for my setup. tc - your description matches my machine, clearly stated. I've been looking at the parts manuals online as my neighbor has my hard copy. Now if I can just nail it all down to making sure I get the right core. He picked it up yesterday, but I've not had a chance to take a look at it. Hoping to be home in the daylight over the weekend, so will try to get a good look. Have broken bolts to get out, and seized bolts to break free...