The EMS panel on my '84 953 started flashing (alternator) so I checked output and discovered the relay terminal was bad. While removing the alternator for repair, I discovered the ring terminal on the wiring harness for the output was sized to fit a 3/8" (or larger - I didn't pay that much attention at the time) post, yet the actual output post was only 1/4". Someone (maybe Cat) had put a big flat washer under the 1/4-28 nut which really makes for a bad connection, I think. The 1/4-28 nut which secures the actual post to the altenator housing has a 9/16" hex and is, therefore, large enough to accomodate the oversize ring terminal. Before I reinstall the alternator, I'd like to make a better connection between the alternator output terminal and the harness and I'd like to stay 'stock' if possible. I realize I could cut the existing ring terminal off the harness and replace it with a 1/4" sized one. I could also make a 9/16" hex nut out of brass and even put a shoulder on it to locate the larger hole in the existing ring termainal, but I'd rather just buy the right parts so that in the future I don't have a cobbled up affair as I do now. I'm sure the harness is original - maybe even the 3/8" flat washer, as it has yellow paint on it; but I doubt it. Anybody know what this looked like originally? Thanks...
The factory is pretty straight when it comes to using the specified hardware. I would suspect that the harness was changed when someone needed to use what they had on hand.