Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

953 front idler rubbing

JD8875 ยท 2014-03-31 12:57

I tightened the tracks on my 953 Friday and after doing so it began to squawk terribly from the right front idler. I thought sure I'd lost the idler bearing. After pulling the guards to check the oil in the bearing I found the center "rib" of the idler rubbing against the yoke of the track tensioner cylinder. The rails on the machine aren't that badly worn, so my thought is there has to be a way to adjust the front idler out and "reset" it so to speak. Problem is I'm not that experienced to know what I'm looking for there if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks John

Replies7
  1. #1d9gdon2014-03-31 13:41

    I had the same problem a couple of months ago, a helper overtightened the tracks and while working in sand, the track loaded up and bent the idler adjusting rod. This was on a 05Z serial number 953. These track loaders don't adjust like a dozer which slides on the track frame rail. These pivot on bearings(bushings) on the bottom of the track frame. It'll have 3 bolts in a triangle shape and that's what it pivots on. Those bearings could be slopped out. Some of them are greaseable, mine were not. Also, that adjusting rod is a weak point in the design of the machine. They were known to bend and break. According to tctractors, there's another bolt hole that you can move the idler or pivot point to and get some more life out of the adjustment with worn rails. He said it was in the service manual, but I didn't have one. Check and see if your rod is bent.

  2. #2JD88752014-03-31 14:04

    Thanks! I'll throw a straight edge on the rod and check it. I'm familiar with the pivot bushing and greased them last spring when I got the machine and last fall for winter pm. I have pictures I'll try to post when I get home. The bushing point looks like its mounted in the "track guide." I'm only guessing but at that rate it looks like the tensioner will have to slack off, unbolt the guide and pry the idler mount forward to bolt into the next hole in the track frame.....????? Sounds simple enough but I'm sure it will be one heck of a chore if that's the case. John

  3. #3d9gdon2014-03-31 14:37

    Yep, track guide not track frame. Prolly easier to break the track to do it.

  4. #4tctractors2014-03-31 15:26

    No need to break the track to re-position the idler mounting, I use a lever hoist off the front bucket to keep things forward, but you might (will) need to clean out the bolt holes with a thread tap. tctractors

  5. #5JD88752014-03-31 15:38

    Good sized chain around the idler and ease it forward off a bucket tooth? I can see where that could be feasible and easier than splitting both tracks. The next holes are in the track guide, or the track frame TC??? I'll get a tap and a very under sized bit to clean the dirt out of the holes. Thanks for the help guys John

  6. #6overworked2014-03-31 16:00

    If its like the 963/973 the guide has six holes in it, it uses three to mount to track frame, bolts thread into same holes in track frame, you probably have a bad idler bearing if its hitting the yoke.

  7. #7tctractors2014-04-01 02:04

    The forward set position for the idler mounting is done via a new bolting position in the bottom rail of the track frame. tctractors