Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

953C Tracks bleeding off

Mpatalsky9 · 2020-05-30 11:18

I have a 953C SN# CAT0953CJ2ZN05495. I grease the tracks to a good tension then by the end of the day the tracks bleed off to being too loose. There is no grease coming out externally from the piston and the grease fitting nut where you relieve the pressure is tight and nothing is leaking from there. It's hard to see inside there but nothing obvious where it could be losing grease. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2020-05-30 12:02

    The mostl likely is the seals inside the tensioner letting grease past. It doesn't need much for the tension to slack off. Probably time to pull the tensioners and reseal them.

  2. #2Mpatalsky92020-05-30 12:09

    Any service docs showing how to do this available Nige?

  3. #3Nige2020-05-30 12:17

    I'll send you something. One of the track loader experts ought to comment on whether or not the tracks need to be split to get the front idler out so that the tensioner cylinder can be removed. No clear direction in the service documentation.

  4. #4CM19952020-05-30 13:17

    You'll want to split the tracks to get the idler out which isn't that big of deal. The master links are alligator type. When we break the tracks on our 953C we always put new master link bolts in for good measure so I'd have a set available putting the tracks back together. And anti-seize - don't forget anti-seize on the master link bolts.

  5. #5JD955SC2020-05-30 14:40

    You have to break the tracks you have to use forcing bolts on the flange that holds the tensioner to jack it out. You will curse the engineers if you strip the threads out. It’s a barrel of fun.

  6. #6Nige2020-05-30 15:01

    Now you mention it I thought I recalled something about that flange being trouble to break loose. Heat or penetrating oil, or both.?

  7. #7Tones2020-05-30 16:27

    While at it check the track wear. Worn tracks allow the tensioner piston to come out to far and damage the seal. If this is the case remove a link from the track and also check the other side , it maybe not far off needing attention I bet that if you are right handed it's the left track that has the problem or vice versa.

  8. #8JD955SC2020-05-30 18:35

    Both and a lot of “work words”

  9. #9Mpatalsky92020-05-30 20:44

    You guys are insanely helpful, thank you so much! I have a whole new undercarriage ordered coming in next week so I will be rebuilding the tensioner seals too. Tones you are a track whisperer, it is the left side! Why is that?

  10. #10Tones2020-05-31 01:03

    It,s something I was told years ago by an old bloke who owned a track shop. It depends on the operators dexterity. R/Handed operators favour the right track so the left track wears more and the opposite applies to left handed operators. The only operators who wear tracks evenly are ambidextrous. I didn't believe him until looked at my own machine so there you go and no whispering required.