i have a great running 955H 60A2635 track loader, except the oil seal in the turbo went. cat says they can't get a turbo for the machine because its out dated. i believe the cat turbo number is 7M0166. any body know of good place to pick up a new turbo? i really rather just replace it with a junk yard turbo but i can't come up with one. Im also considering just putting in a seal kit for the bearing if i can't track down a rebuild kit. I'm looking for the cheapest option as this machine is really old and i don't use it very much. it is more or less just used to play around. if anyone has any information about these machines and turbos it will be greatly appreciated. thanks, Jake
Buying a new one is gonna cost an arm & a leg.. Any fuel shop can throw a kit & bearings in it for way less than a new one.. or even track down a rebuilt cartridge/center section.. I would shy away from a j. yard turbo,, you might end up w/ the exact same problem or worse.
I got a rebuilt turbo from Michigan Turbo several years ago. I don't know if they still stock them. Phone # I have is 800-848-8480. Turbo was for an early model 955H.
Might be worth checking out this outfit: http://www.certifiedturbo.com/services-1.html I just did a search on "turbochargers Long Island" don't know any thing about them but they say they do Cat turbos. One other thought would be to check crankcase breather on the engine to be sure the oil is not being forced past the seal by too much crankcase pressure. The "seals" in that turbo are actually steel rings like small piston rings, not lip type seals like you would find on a crankshaft.
I use Blaylock Turbo in Baxter Spring, Kansas. The problem with the turbo on the 955H was it was an expensive turbo to repair. You have a machine that is 4.5 bore. When Cat came out with the 3306 engine they went to a 4.75 bore engine. I know several farmer/mechanics that took the 3406 turbo and put it on the 955-H and early D6-C 74A, 76A s/n prefix engines and the smoke went away and didn't cause any problems.
Which model do you know? 3406 b c or e
Posted in wrong place.