Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955K belly pan removal??

wagspe208 ยท 2010-12-16 13:07

I need? to remove the belly pan on my 955. How much of a PITA is it? How do I do it without killing myself? What does it weigh? Meaning can I drop it then need to drag it out with a tractor? It has mud and some oil drained on it. Might as well clean it, wash trans and engine, then throw it back together. Thanks Wags

Replies11
  1. #1DirtHauler2010-12-16 13:31

    HOW NOT TO DO IT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYfcxXE5eU [video=youtube;emYfcxXE5eU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYfcxXE5eU[/video]

  2. #2wagspe2082010-12-16 21:53

    Seems easy enough. Is the hole I see for the transmission drain plug? Wags

  3. #3Greg2010-12-18 19:50

    Around here we back the machine over a sheet of heavy plywood or steel plate, roll a hydraulic jack under, take the bolts out, or take the nuts off depending on what the machine is and lower it down. Do the reverse to get it back up.

  4. #4wagspe2082010-12-19 13:54

    Do you run the loader up on railroad ties or something to get more working height? Wags

  5. #5jughead2010-12-20 07:04

    i can only dream of removing them on my D75. some idiot did a good job of welding them on long before i ever dreamed of owning one. so i wet it down before use and have a BIG fire extinguisher mounted on it.

  6. #6wagspe2082011-01-30 20:17

    Yanked that piece off today. Of course it did not have all of the bolts in it. Put a jack under it, removed bolts, drug it out with my tractor. Working with the cat up on some trees I had cut. In the mud. What FUn? HA. Wags

  7. #7Monte12552011-01-31 13:29

    floor jack on a piece of plywood is the route I usually take, I can man handle the big plate off of my 953 but still pretty dangerous. Removing belly pans not matter what brands seems to be a universal PITA.

  8. #8boone2011-01-31 14:01

    Right with you Wags. Removed the engine belly pan on the 175 Saturday. We were lucky with good weather...no mud to deal with. Like Greg and Monte said, plywood with floor jack is the way to go. Is the pan on the 955 as big and bulky as that D6 in the video?

  9. #9wagspe2082011-01-31 18:24

    It is pretty damn big and heavy. I am no candy ass, but I see the reasons for the warnings. I ain't man enough to man handle this one. 4 to 5' long maybe width of undercarriage obviously 3/8 thick It was not horrible, but it had crap built up. I will drag it back in with the tractor. I should be able to finnagle jacks under it to get it back up. I was also thinking of stretching cables under the pan, attaching the cable to the rear tow point and the other end to the bucket. Raise the bucket, the pan raises. Then I will surely be able to get jacks under it. I guess misery loves company. I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying myself. Wags

  10. #10wosama931b2012-02-28 21:06

    I just removed the belly pans on a small loader, i did use a cable to catch the weight of the first pan, and a 2by 4 to take the slack out, it worked good and gace me time to get very clear of the area. On the center pan i used a couple of sharp pointed bars in the middel bolt hole, a 2' extension allowed room to work out side the tracks. I think that old mud and oil was heavyer that the steel, You sure want to keep your head clear when working on that, Jack and plywood going up.

  11. #11shopguy2012-02-28 22:01

    We never use jack any more Make you a 25ft 3/8 cable hook BOTH ends on same track (almost length of pan) apart take loop end under pan and out the other side between tractor and track pull it up or down with a chainhoist, loader or anything else that will lift .Going on place the cable under the pan put all 3 ends on the pan and drive the tractor into place ,hook & lift her up.