Looking at a 1979 Cat 955L. It has a New Reman Engine from a 955K, new steering clutches and breaks. Some minor leaking cylinders and it apparently had the wrong muffler on it where it took some sort of oil line or something? The hole in the muffler has a gasket and will need to be plugged with a plate I assume? Any advice on where to check for specific issues with this vintage machine? Owner will let me run this for a while to get it good and hot. It has the 4 in 1 bucket and the GP bucket. Thanks in advance.
955l Fred, if you do buy it, I have an original parts manual for it. rod
Thanks I will look you up if I do.
This is just my two cents. Unless it’s a real buy I would look at a 953. I can’t believe what they seem to be selling for, practically giving them away.
I just bought a 955K. Guys said to get the 953 also. Hell, they are 25k+. I got the 955 for 9500 to my doorstep. It is a hell of a piece. Sure, it ain't a 953, but I am doing farm/ tree clearing at casual pace. I am not making a living with it. What does the guy want? Wags
I am a farmer too clearing 50 plus acres of timber that was hit by an ice storm 3 years ago and before that it was logged, so the land is full of briars, small saplings, stumps and tree tops that have been broken off due to ice. I have been told that I should spend the extra cash for a 953 then re-sell it once the economy comes around. For instance a machinery broker told me I can get a decent 953 for around $25,000-$30,000, that was going for $40-$50K a few years ago. He feels that once the economy comes around I could re-sell one of these for something higher than my purchase price today in a few years. However, since Im not working this equipment daily like an excavation company would do, I think a 955 would be about my speed and price range, provided I don't get into something that needs major repairs. Like the gentlemen said above, I have seen the 955's go for around $12-15K in pretty good shape. I'm all for saving money. I have restored cars and tractors and I don't think I want to start with a large piece of earth moving equipment to restore, so I am looking for advice on what to look for before I buy. Thanks for your expert advice.
Oh I failed to mention it comes with a 4 in 1 bucket and a regular General Purpose bucket and a rear mounted winch. I am not too familiar on how the winch works, but it looks like a heck of a machine. He is asking $12,500 for it. He says it has 75% undercarridge.
Well, you can also buy, use and sell the 955. At 10 to 15g "anyone" who needs a high lift can justify it. Can "anyone" justify 25 to 30? AND what IF/ or WHEN is the economy going to turn around? IF it takes 5 years to turn around, think of how many more 953's will be out there. Then is the value still 35 to 40? My crystal ball is broke. I was in the same place as you. Buy, use, resell, what if, hmm... I bought something I could pay cash for, use and it will never be worth less than 9g if it runs. Hell an 80 hp ag tractor is worth over 5 to 7g no matter how old it is. Good luck. Wags
BTW, buy it. The winch will save your ass some day. Trust me. I know. I wish I had one. (or just sell the winch to me)(you don't need it) HA Wags And IF the undercarriage is 75% with 2 buckets and winch you better buy it. Or give me his number.
If that particular winch fits d5&6's you be suprised to see what they are worth. The little winches for deere 450's start at 2,500 Also scrap is pushing 200 a ton here unprepared... so your doing right at 12k.
If you get real serious I would see if you local Cat dealer will check the actual state of the tracks. They will give you an excellent report. It's free from our dealer as they are hoping to sell you tracks but it is very accurate percentage wise. Seller's estimate of track may be way off or there may be some components much more worn than others.
A 955 weights 60 tons?
60 Tons?? i wouldn't think it would be that much. I have a 955-12A and it only weighs 20,000 lbs.
I think it weighs only 16 tons or around 32,000#
The operating weight of a 955L with open ROPS and 4 in 1 is quoted as 35,870lbs in the cat cph...have to add the weight of the winch to that.
Cat has a line that goes between the air intake and the muffler on several machines. This must be one of them.
check some things like lift arms do the clatter or are they pretty solid. what are the cutting edges like on the 4 in 1. check condition of track rollars and sprockets. sounds like a good deal and if your only using it on a farm I would say the 955L not the 953. they both have 4 cylinders but if I am correct the L will outweigh the 953. my choice of the 2 would be the L. If you want a new dozer i would go with a 953B.