I have a older 955k and have mounted a internal regulated alternator. What wiring changes do I need to make with this set-up?
All you have to do is connect the hot terminal on the alternator to the wire that originally connected the generator. You may have to make other connections to show a positive charge, but the one wire will charge the battery. You can do away with the old regulator, as it is no longer needed.
MRB - I second what sealark37 stated. I did this conversion two years ago. I need to change my amp gauge to a volt gauge to show a positive charge.
On the back of the Alt. it has a small terminal with the letter R ? Ignore it and just use the Positive terminal ?
Actually, there are several types of internal regulator alternators. They all have to have a way to connect and disconnect the the field coils. If the field was left excited all the time it would be draining your battery when the engine wasn't running. The ones that are made to be "one-wire" units use a centrifugal switch to connect the fields to the battery terminal when the shaft is spinning. Most alternators use a terminal that connects to switched power to excite the fields. To know how to wire yours, we would need to know just what kind of alternator you have. If it is a salvaged unit, what did it come off of originally? Late '70s - early '90s Delco 10si (GM) are what I usually use for this conversion be cause they are cheap and easy to wire. If you don't know what you have, post a pic, we can probably figure it out.
The Alt was listed as a direct replacement for the gen on my 1967 955K. Part # 6N9294, the paper that came with it says ALT-1150, 24V,45A, N. Max output power 1364 watts, Max output under full load 53 amps, Voltage regulator set point 27.92 volts, their is a few other settings from a alt. test. Could the R terminal be a resisted 12v terminal ? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Does your new alternator look like this? If so, that is a Delco 20si type alternator, (Cat doesn't make alternators and starters, they use mostly Delcos). That is a one-wire alternator. If you connect the positive or bat terminal to your battery positive it will self excite once you reach a certain RPM and charge your batteries. The "R" terminal is used for certain sensing or control functions, usually an electric tachometer. Good Luck, and don't hesitate to ask , there is usually someone here who can help.
955K Work continues Thanks Guys got that one figured out. While digging around I found the tubing or what was left of it for the fuel pressure gauge. My book does not show where it connects, just somewhere at the fuel filter. I have a plug in the top and one in the corner of the fuel filter canister. Not sure but I think it would go in the canister itself. It had a piece of steel line or can I use copper?
Here is a picture of the fuel filter.
You are correct, the fuel pressure line is the fitting in the canister.