Hey guys I recently bought a 955L owner said everything was good. I got home unloaded up off trailer and noticed the track loosened up. I popped the cover and noticed the seal was blown and grease was everywhere. I took a look at the spring both sides have broke springs. Where the rod sits against the stoppers it looks to be pushing past. Any help on where to get parts and what to do?
Be very very careful with that spring!! It looks like it has a piece broken completely broken out. I think I would carefully check backside for another break. any thing less than a full coil is dangerous. a full coil can't get past the center bolt but a little piece could fly with deadly force
Thank you for the advice. Have you ever seen a spring break?
Loads of them. It’s almost like an occupational hazard.
Where do you recommend on getting replacements? Have you heard anything about HD kits
There must be many aftermarket suppliers around. I don't know if any particular brand is better than another. Do you have any idea what is involved in replacing those springs while limiting the possibility that you might end up dead.? As per what @pittsburgh cat man menioned above it appears as though both the existing springs still have significant preload on them. Even removing the old ones is fraught with risk. They are known as Death Springs in the trade.
I don’t personally know the process which people usually take with these. I do know the springs do you have a lot of preload. I’m definitely open to learning how to get it fixed up another question off-topic what do you think this tractor should have gone for
Broken springs get cut with torch. But like I said make sure there are no loose pieces less than a full coil and only cut full coil pieces
Here is a thread for you to look at, plus there is another link to another thread within one of the posts by @Metalman 55 Between the two they should take care of most of your questions. HeavyEquipmentForums If you want a parts listing for your specific machine then please post a Serial Number.
Here's the parts for the front idler and tensioner mechanism for S/N 85J6565. It is in two parts.
Cut it, remove and get new spring banded so it can be safely installed The shoes are worn out like mine were. HeavyEquipmentForums
I think someone put a fair bit of effort into making something appear to be freshly fixed.
Post some pictures of the undercarriage and the rear sprocket. From the little I can see it looks totally worn out.
I ordered every single part and bolt to replace the recoil spring and tensioner even the stoppers. And I’m going to get new tracks how does the sprocket and idler look? Pics aren’t the best got them from a little video I took of it but the sprocket doesn’t look pointed
Are you the only one on the internet with this much knowledge I can’t find this stuff anywhere else
If you had a Parts Manual you could look all this information up for yourself. Search for Cat Publication reference UEG0700S covering 85J-prefix machines from 6247-9509.
When you take a torch to the springs you need to make several cuts to relief all the pressure on every coil. Use a big tip and make sure the torch won't get caught in the coils. Heat the coil up completely red hot and then hit the oxygen so you get a clean cut all the way through.