Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955l leaking hydralic oil

jem1960 ยท 2014-09-09 18:43

I need help with my 955l serial # 85j6895 it's leaking hydralic oil where hydralic pump connects to transmission next to transmission filter and screen filters are. The pump it self doesn't leak oil are there any o rings or gaskets that need to be replace. We have remove pump and there is what looks like and additional pump connected to transmission. Also do you all have pics of hydralic pump connected to transmission , what I'm i missing . Please help. Respectfully, Jem

Replies11
  1. #1AllDodge2014-09-10 13:22

    Which part are you talking about

  2. #2kshansen2014-09-10 19:24

    Is this what the pump that is leaking looks like? If it is the seal that seals the pump to transmission would be item #12 P/N 5F3999. The one thing that does not sound right is you are saying it's leaking hyd. oil. If that oring seal was leaking you would be loosing tramsmission oil not hyd. oil.

  3. #3jem19602014-09-10 21:00

    -955l-leaking-hydralic-oil I removed Hydraulic pump and when to Valley Holt/Cat store. I was told that it has three pumps all bundled together starting from outside in 1st is hydraulic, than transmission pump and finally the steering pump. My 955l leaks from the very last pumps steering is suspect it leaks from transmission to steering pump and out. I guess I'll remove all three and replace all seals on both transmission pump and steering pump. And yes I'm loosing transmission oil and not hydraulic oil I stand corrected, thanks for your info very helpful. Respectfully, joe

  4. #4jem19602014-09-10 21:06

    Sorry, I explain wrong . Now that I Know it has three pumps together the problems seems to be the last pump that leaks. The big but is that I don't loose oil from steering pump it is transmission oil that I loose. Bought all seal mentioned @ Cat for both transmission and steering pumps. Thank you for your help. Respectfully joe

  5. #5Bob/Ont2014-09-10 21:47

    Is the trans oil going into the steering clutches? Later Bob

  6. #6jem19602014-09-11 02:00

    No, I can see it leak out on top of steering or transmission pumps.

  7. #7Bob/Ont2014-09-11 09:17

    Take the trans and steering pumps off and replace all of the seals in the pumps and mounting seals. Later Bob

  8. #8jem19602014-09-11 10:16

    Bob, I will do as recommend and will change all seals this weekend if it doesn't rain thanks for you all help. Respectfully, joe

  9. #9Swdavis32015-02-26 09:31

    I have a cat 955k that is dumping trans oil into steering housing. Does anyone have any advice on how to trouble shoot the problem. 61h876 serial number

  10. #10Bob/Ont2015-02-26 10:31

    Clean the steering pump suction screen, if clogged pump will suck oil out of trans pump. Later Bob

  11. #11jem19602015-02-26 22:43

    bob, is right start by checking suction screen, my tractor had that plugged and was transferring oil for transmission to steering housing . on my tractor suction screen is located under the seat on left side behind trans filter and magnet filter. good luck. joe