Working on my 955L SN 85J4919. Still doing maintenance before I start operating it. It has been sitting all summer while I have been getting the tar substance out of the fuel tank. Cranked it and ran it for appx 20 at idle to find what appeared to be water/coolant leaking out of the front right of the machine if you are facing the grill. Looked in the grill and the liquid was coming from the aux cooler that is to the right of the radiator when facing the front of the machine. The next day, I wanted to get the machine up to operating temp to check the trans fluid level. Drove it around the yard. Returned the machine to the parking area and discovered a clear oil now leaking from earlier stated cooler. From my research I conclude that this is a torque converter cooler? Is this correct? Is it safe to assume the oil coming from this cooler is the transmission fluid? Transmission fluid barely registered on the dip stick when I checked it in neutral with the engine at idle. Any advice on draining, flushing, using stop leak, repair v. replace? Just getting started, trying to figure out what I am in for. The pics are all I have at the moment and show nothing more than the area the fluid is coming from. More to come in the next few days when I get the skins off. Thanks in advance.
Hard to tell where the leak might be with the grill in place! Remove those panels and get a better look! Stop-leak is NOT an option, at least I never heard of some of that you could use in an oil to air cooler! As for repair I guess it all depends on exactly where it is located and the skills of who ever might be doing the work. Well just for kicks I did a search for a new core and found this one that claims to be the one your machine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1W0220-Cat...ic-transmission-radiator-4N5903-/361990028353 Not sure but shipping should not be too bad considering the location!
A radiator shop should be able to fix it. this is a air cooled cooler so no coolant should be present that is another leak
I went back an reread the first post and now I'm not sure if there are two different leaks or just one and what fluid is leaking. Hope Athompson can remove at least the grills in front of that radiator and cooler to get a better idea of what and where the leaks(s) is(are)!
I'm confident the fluid that has leaked out is oil. I am attaching pictures. Leak appears to be in the middle of the core among the fins. I have uploaded more pics.
Trans cooler and agree, take it to a rad shop to see what they might do, other wise the ebay might be the thing
Any tips on removal? Does the nose of the machine need to come of? I do not have a service manual.
Have not removed mine, but from what I'm seeing of yours I would remove the nose
Roll the hard nose off, will appreciate it being OUT of your way.
no need too unwrap front radiator goes out the top .straight up, un bolt shroud guard , upper bolts and go up with it, no need too take front radiator guard off
Attached is the four pages on the radiator removal:
Well, we might be going about it the hard way but we did pull the nose. Man, talk about over engineering, if there is room for a bolt around that radiator they put one in, whether it need it or not. The cooler is still in the nose. Ran out of daylight. Thanks for all the help so far.
I hope I missed what is holding the bucket in the air! Would not trust those cylinders and hoses keep it up while working under it!
Especially when the lift arms are being used as the upper support points for the hoist to remove the hardnose ...........!!
I have used a piece of heavy 4 inch angle iron layed on top of the cyl rod
great on suport but did not have to pull rad core if did not want to trans cooler has two 3-4 bolds straight in back and cooler comes out back so you have to pull nose and if i was going to use machine i would not waste time trying to fix just rust out and will do again had uncle and dad that would try that cause labor was cheap. went in to a 3306 engine 3 times for sleve leaking water pull pan see it come out pun that one in till they was gone pulled other three worked onpiston and sleve with slege hammer got all 4 and it worked good then and i got good at building a 3306 cat engine live and learn.
We have the safety link engaged and secured in place. It is not visible from the view in the picture.
Thanks for the confirmation. It’s amazing how many equipment owners simply assume that holding the lift arms up using nothing more than the cylinders is acceptable.
The safety link is engaged but its missing the safety bolt. It screws into the lower section so if arm falls/lowers, it cannot move it off
Unless someone can come up with a photo this is the best the manual shows. I assume that the washer is intended to lock the lever so that it can't move. Items 9 & 10 are listed as 7K-9500 Pin and 8K-6273 Washer.
EDIT - 7K-9500 is replaced by 4V-7344. No joy via dealer. Someone like Offroad Equipment might be your best bet. www.offroadeq.com/ In fact if you were to call Offroad (1-888-299-8413) they would more than likely know the correct Part Number of what you are looking for off the top of their heads. They are not far away from you in Alcoa, TN. TBH I can't tell for certain if the Part Number I posted above is the safety lock pin or the actual loader linkage pin for that location.
I'm unable to find it in SIS but its like a large bolt and washer, even though the washer is part of the bolt. The bolt screws into the center and covers the top of the link. I was to slow Nige has it
But Nige still isnt' sure if the Part Numnber he posted above is actually the bolt/washer combination that you are referring to, or the linkage pin for that point. Hence my suggestion to call Offroad. EDIT: Found it...!! In the Parts Manual for a 955K 64J-prefix. 7K-7980 Retainer Gp. It has to be purchased as the two separate Part Numbers listed underneath it, 7K-7891 & 3A-2745.
Not fancy but sufficient.
The beast is out