I have a 955l cat that is giving me a headache. The cat sat for 2yrs before past week. I put in a new pack of batteries and primed the engine by hand. The cat started right up and I moved it around and checked out the functions of the hydro systems. The very next day, the cat was started and shut off immediately and now it will not turn over. The starter will not engage. The amp meter shows a draw when turned to glow plugs and when turned to start.
Will it turn over by hand using a wrench on the front pulley?
Your starter needs servicing... or your hydro locked. Like lee say's try turning it over by hand just to make sure the motor isn't locked.
Yes the motor can be turned by hand. I had a little help this evening, had my son turn the start switch while i checked voltage at solenoid, and solenoid to starter. both were good.
The starter is bad on the inside.... probably a brush is hung up... your gonna have to take it off and open it up... something's amiss in the starter.
what does Charlie Brown say, "Good Grief". very little room to work with the arms down.
Wow, I would say so... i've always been lucky enough to have another machine around to lift the arms and lock them.
The one time we did this job with no other machine around we pulled the pan and put a rope around the starter so someone could hold it up from the top while somebody worked underneath - no fun was had.
I had the same thing happen to me with my 955K two weeks ago. I had shut the machine off while I ran a truckload of dirt. I came back for the second load and the machine would not start. Ammeter showed a draw so I took the side cover off and smacked the starter with a hammer. Machine fired up and has been cranking over ever since.
I agree with gramps at post #5 above Red Bank, I would consider having that starter freshened up. They're not terribly expensive to rebuild, and there's not many things in this world that are a greater PITA than removing one of those starters when the machine is dead and loader arms are down. :Banghead
Same as an old 951 I had.
Try pulling the solenoid off first and cleaning the internal contacts and plunger. You may be making voltage but not the amperage required. Pretty common problem.
I had to change one on a 931B one time. Loader arms down...ontop of a 3 inch sheet of ice.....right outside the shop doors.....with nothing else in the shop to shove it in the shop.<<<<No fun was had there either.
I feel ya Wrench. Whacking one with a hammer is all well and good...until the (worst) day that no longer works, with the loader arms down in the most unforgiving circumstances. Don't cost that much to freshen those things up in a much more desirable situation.
My machine won’t turn. It have a brand new starter. I can turn the fan by hand . Where do I check if it’s hydro locked
Can you turn the engine two complete revolutions of the crankshaft using the fan..? If you can do that then the engine is not hydro-locked.
I am curious of the voltage checks at the Starter, Will have 24V at the big post Batt feed Terminal and when hit start position SHOULD have 24V at the small side terminal but if still had 24V at the Batt feed big terminal and the other big terminal to the motor went to 24V then the starter motor or the tractor ground is bad. As Nige noted need to roll the engine over two full revolutions, and even as the fan may move may Not be moving the crankshaft.