After being warned many times to keep my loader clean when burning piles (of course that will never happen to me)! It did!! So now that I basically have some doors, cylinders and a 50% UC its an 89 model 963 LGP 21Z prefix. I have found a 84 model 963 06Z prefix with good motor and transmission but it has the standard narrow tracks with very little life left on them. My question is will the LGP track frame assembly fit on the 84 model standard and would equalizer bar have to be swapped as well because of width? Visit site often and figured this is best place to get an answer before I tried it and got disappointed. Thanks in advance. Tim
Is the 21Z machine S/N above or below 21Z3442.? The reason I ask is that the track frame pivot bar assembly changed significantly from that S/N onwards Right now what I can tell you is that the 8G-1839 machine chassis Par tNumber for all 06Z and 21Z machines is the same. So it may be a case of having to swap other parts in addition to the track frames, but on the face of it everything is bolt-on so it ought to be possible. Need an answer to the above before going further. TBH Serial Numbers for both machines would be a help if you want accurate information.
It seems that there may also be an issue of inch versus metric-threaded fasteners. Care required......
LGP 89 machine 21Z02832 Standard 84 machine 06Z01391
This is maybe going to involve a lot more work than you initially imagined - maybe too much. Apart from the tracks & track frames there appear to be 3 main differences between the 06Z and the 21Z machines whose Serial Numbers you posted above. 1. The pivot shaft assemblies are different. The 21Z has a longer pivot shaft for the LGP arrangement. The complete pivot shaft assemblies from the 21Z would fit striaght on to the 06Z. 2. The Equalizer Bar is longer. Again the 21Z E-Bar would be a straight swap to the 06Z provided you could get the centre pin out. 3. Final drives - this is where things get sticky. The 21Z final drive cases are different to the 06Z because of the LGP track gauge but also the guts are different. I looked at whether the final drives would swap as complete assemblies but found that in addition to the internal differences the input shaft from the travel motor is a different P/N. Also the travel motors are different P/Ns between 06Z and 21Z. I didn't dig any deeper than that. So if you did want to go that way as a minimum you would be swapping the complete final drives AND the travel motors from the 21Z machine to the 06Z and even then I wouldn't guarantee it would work. To put it mildly, after finding out what I have so far I'm a bit leery of what you're proposing.
Thanks for the insight, I would have been very disappointed to get to motors and realize it wasn’t gonna work. I guess I’m down to parting out LGP and see how far that gets me to getting a standard UC. Machine is used maybe 100-150 hrs a year on a farm so I will look for anything that I feel would get me 700-1000 hrs on a used UC. Thanks again for the help
Can't you swap pads on the rails?
Ok Now that you ask that, the main reason why I was wanting to swap track frame out is because the standard track machine with good motor and trans has seal’s leaking on track adjuster and from reading on this Forum I have no business even looking at the (death spring) and as I understand it I would have to disassemble that to fix seals. If I got someone to replace seals on track adjuster will all rollers, track links, sprockets etc swap over from LGP to the fixed standard? Thanks
Track Links on the 21Z machine are an updated P/N 7T4651 but effectively the same as what's on the 06Z machine. Carrier rollers - same P/N on both. Track Rollers - Again the 21Z has an updated P/N from what's on the 06Z but still interchangeable. Sprockets - same P/N on both. If you went the swap route I would suggest to use all new hardware for the track rollers, sprocket segments, and track master link bolts. You don't want anything coming loose.
Thanks Nige, wish the guy that made the spring compressor from a previous thread lived near me!! (Very mechanically inclined and a great read) i will locate someone that can handle the adjuster seals and go the swap route. This Forum is like having a 1000 knowledge mechanics as your neighbor.
That wouldn't work on your machine. The home-built spring compressor you mention was on a 955. Talking about track rollers. I found some conflicting information but you can check compatibility by taking a tape measure to the two machines. Measure the track roller shaft diameter and the track roller caps to see if they are the same on both machines.
I remember it was a 955 but thought it might work on 963 as well but then again ,the only thing I do know is you can stay warm while watching your tractor burn. I will check measurements. Thx
No. The 955 the whole track tensioner/recoil spring assembly is remove and pressed while it is out of the machine. The 963 tooling is installed on the track frame after removing the idler and the recoil spring is de-tensioned in place.
Would you have a link to the tread of the home made spring compressor Nige?
Try this - HeavyEquipmentForums
Thank you sir