Helping my neighbor out with his komatsu D57E -1 serial number is 20163. After opperateing 45 min or so it seems to have right side slow steering. Can mash the left pedal down to the floor an can feel chattering or growling in the pedal when it starts to steer , while driveing it tracks fine, don’t stop spinning while pushing heavy loads, only gives issues turning left. Removed adjustment cover an turned adjustment in all the way an backed out 2 turns. Hopeing not to have to pull steer clutch’s out , think I’ve read online that the early machines were all made together an have to pull both sides an ring an pinion out all together. Any ideas before I start pulling this thing apart
Had an identical problem with a D41s3. I adjusted the steering brake per the manual 65 lb/ft back off 1/2 a turn. I also changed the steering fluid which was pretty nasty. Turns like a champ now.
Thx for the advice, didn’t know it has it own separate steering fluid reservoir. Figured it used same From trains or from bevel gear compartment
I am assuming the D41 has similar systems to the d57. My steering problem was identical even on the left side.
That should or might be 1 1/2 turns off to set the brake clearance. tctractors
Yes sir I did look over ur diagram, looks just like same as the 57s. A when I had the rear basket assembly out I did take the right side apart an looked over the discs a plates. All looked good , no scoring or scratch’s, An it says 9 on the new discs. An 4.3 on the need to replace the discs. I’m guessing we’re measuring dics thickness in millimeters? Lining of brakes looked to of been 1/4” area. After all went threw a reassembled everything, I ran adjusted screw in till got tite then backed out 1.5 turns. It does steer to the right but not left. Both pedals feel extremely easy to push an don’t feel any kind of resistance or tension? Washed out suction screen at pump a replaced with new oil. Not sure if it’s the steer valve given fit or if my clutch basket is slipping, Any way to tell if so? Or anyway to tell if it’s hyd issues in valve ? Thx for ur time an help sir
On the -41 you tighten the brake to 65 lb/ft and back off 1/2 a turn not 1 1/2 turns. Sounds to me like your brake is slipping. The way I understand the system If it was a hydraulic issue the clutch wouldn’t release but the brake would grab and bog your engine down. Maybe someone who knows the system better can step in here.