Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

966c engine possibilities?

6DoubleDuece ยท 2008-07-06 21:13

I have a 966C wheel loader that is complete other than the engine. I want to Just swap in a 6BT cummins any pitfalls? What engines did they come with and what would swap in without to much trouble? Thanks Brenden

Replies5
  1. #1bobin352008-07-06 21:25

    Most 966C models came with a 3306 turboed engine.Why run it with a cummins when you could get a used 3306 and be a straight forward install?

  2. #2John C.2008-07-06 22:02

    A 6BT would be way to small for a loader that size. That size engine would just run a 938. The Cummins of that size does not have the torque to run the transmission and carry the hydraulics at the same time. As Bobin35 says there should be lots of 3306 engines around.

  3. #36DoubleDuece2008-07-07 00:45

    I was wondering about the 6bt because I have one laying around I haven't found any 3306's yet but I have only searched my states craigslist. What are they going for? Thanks Brenden

  4. #4JCBgm2008-07-09 22:53

    6DoubleDuece, Fit it with a CAT engine. 966Cs are GOLD. I don't know what you have in it, but you'd be wise to put in the 3306 to keep the value up.

  5. #5ben46a2008-07-10 12:38

    To bad your on the other side of the continent because i have a fully overhauled 3306 PC sitting in my shop with no home.