Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

98 416C cat backhoe, what engine oil and filter, and capacity

Dougie G ยท 2018-01-28 19:44

Hi, I don't have my manuals anymore. What oil, and filter should I be using? What is the capacity and how often should it be changed? Thank You ps, I have some cat filters that came with the machine but not sure what they are for so if I could get a oil filter number, that would be great. Also fuel, trans and hydraulic filters too. I guess I could check with the dealer when they open. Thank you

Replies18
  1. #1Dougie G2018-01-29 00:15

    I'm guessing I could use Rotella 15/40 and buy a cross over filter like baldwin from Napa. I 'm guessing capacity is around 15 litres.

  2. #2kshansen2018-01-29 09:22

    As always a full S/N is very helpful in getting the best answer. I did a quick look in SIS and there are at least four different S/N prefixes for the 416C and maybe many changes within each one of those. So to avoid possibly giving inaccurate info I will wait to see if you can give me more information.

  3. #3Dougie G2018-01-29 09:27

    Sorry about that. Does this look like the full S/N? 1WR03918

  4. #4kshansen2018-01-29 10:28

    Best I can see by that S/N for filters are the following: Engine oil 7W2327 Fuel primary 159-6102 Fuel Water Sep. 131-1812 Air Primary 110-6326 Air Secondary 110-6331 Power Train 119-4740 Hydraulic Filter 108-1153 Cab Air filter 133-7488 A/C Filter 104-9481 If you have some Cat Filter part Numbers I could check those and see if they show for this machine. Also copied the "As Shipped" info for the 416C attached is that file.

  5. #5Dougie G2018-01-29 11:34

    kshansen, Thanks for these numbers. I'll check them out.

  6. #6kshansen2018-01-29 12:24

    Thought I broke Heavy Equipment Forum with that post! Tried adding the Refill capacities and Service Intervals and could not log back in so I'll try once more.

  7. #7Dougie G2018-01-29 19:16

    kshansen, Wow, thanks. I just have to figure out where to save this so I can find it. I'm not really computer literate.

  8. #8Dougie G2018-01-30 14:48

    Hi, thank you for sending this info. In the Maintenance Interval Schedule , it mentions change oil every 500 hours using cat oil, or 250 hrs using other oil. It doesn't mention what oil. I'm thinking of using Rotella 15/40, do you know if this is good oil for this machine?

  9. #9kshansen2018-01-30 16:03

    Well in the other sections of the Maintenance Manual it says: Engine Oil and Filter - Change SMCS - 1318-044-OC ; 1318-510-FI Note: If the sulfur content in the fuel is greater than 1.5% by weight, use an oil with a TBN of 30. With the high sulfur fuel, change the oil and the filter element after every 250 hours or after every month. If the API category is CF-4 or less, change the oil and filter element after every 250 hours or after every month. Otherwise, change the oil and the filter element after every 500 hours or after every three months. A quick look at oil spec's seems to indicate that CF-4 is actually obsolete and the Rotella I'm seeing offered today, at least in the US, is all rated CK-4, so I don't think you would have to worry about going to the 500 hour interval. Unless you fuel is a high sulfur rating over the 1.5%

  10. #10Dougie G2018-02-05 15:06

    hi kshansen, thanks for sending this. It is helpful, but the links don't work. I would probably need subscription or something? I just want to change the oil. I'm sure there are no special procedures for changing the oil. It should be pretty straight forward like changing oil in anything else.

  11. #11kshansen2018-02-05 18:16

    You should be able to click on the file name and have it open up as a PDF file, on my computer with a mouse I use the left button to open it. If you use the right button on the mouse it looks like it thinks it is a link to a web page. Well I just tried the right button and it says something like "Open link in a new window" then when I clicked on that it also opened the file. Someone else want to try it to be sure it's not just working for me because I was the one who uploaded it?

  12. #12AzIron2018-02-05 20:38

    got a 416c with 12000 hours all its ever seen is delo 400 15-40 and it runs like a top

  13. #13Dougie G2018-02-05 21:05

    Hi AzIron, thats good to know. Sounds like a good machine. I ended up using Rotella 15/40. I used a cat filter, but had a baldwin from Napa I was thinking of using if I didn't have the cat one. I would like to get the operating manual and maintenance manuals and what ever ones. I had them all but lost them in our house fire.

  14. #14Mike Ferry2020-08-01 07:25

    I have a CAT 416 series II s/n 5PC15050, eng/n U489729V, trans/n L91 11845 and I am looking for a list or manual for maintainance but mainly that will tell me filter and fluid part numbers and type along with intervals of changing. I also need info on the cylinders as some will need rebuilt (all work some have broken wipers). Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks Mike

  15. #15Nige2020-08-01 08:59

    An Operation & Maintenance Manual would be a good start. It will give all the info apart from filter Part Numbers. The Cat Publication reference is SEBU6338. Try the online auction sites but bear in mind that you can often get a brand-new manual from Cat for less than advertised. A pdf copy of the latest version of the document can be downloaded from the Cat Publications website for $49. A paper version is also available for $57 + S&H, so take this used one from eBay that is up for sale at $75 + S&H.... Why would you bother.? https://www.ebay.com/p/19026823098 Filters Engine Oil - 7W-2327 Fuel - 067-6987 (genuine Cat filter includes O-Rings) Fuel - 7W-6268 (mounted on FIP) Water Separator - 4W-2953 Air - 8N-5504 (Primary) 7W-6754 (Secondary) Transmission - 119-4740 Hydraulic - 4T-0522 & 9J-5461 (1 of each inside hyd. tank) Aircon (if equipped) - 7T-3519 (Fresh Air) 7T-3549 (Recirc)

  16. #16Mike Ferry2020-08-03 19:38

    Thanks for the help on the maintenance manual I am also looking for cylinder and or seal kit part numbers will they be in the same manual or in another one. Where can I buy misc items like the rubber buttons that hold the door windows back, and the rubber tie downs for the battery box? thanks Mike

  17. #17AllDodge2020-08-03 19:47

    Any CAT dealer

  18. #18Nige2020-08-05 15:44

    If you want a Parts Manual for the same machine then search for Cat Publication SEBP1900. Here's one priced at $106 + S&H - https://www.ebay.com/itm/CATERPILLA...PARTS-MANUAL-CATALOG-SERIAL-5PC-/373071387329 - you can buy a pdf download for $115.