Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sticky Clay

Old Uncle Dave ยท 2018-01-28 20:50

I am having a problem with clay build up in my backhoe bucket, 24 inch. After a few digs the clay build up on the sides, corners, back and bottom. Sometimes to the point that I am using only half of the bucket. Help ! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Old Uncle Dave

Replies6
  1. #1Ronsii2018-01-28 20:58

    the old 'chain in the bucket' trick works well... HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Delmer2018-01-28 20:59

    Take long shallow bites and don't pack the bucket more than 3/4 full. Line the bucket with plastic. Clean the bucket and spray it with diesel, let dry. Weld 3 or 4 chains into the bucket with one end near the cutting edge and one end near the top.

  3. #3Old Uncle Dave2018-01-28 21:16

    How do you line it with plastic?

  4. #4Billrog2018-01-28 21:18

    Just use the front 1/3 of the bucket .

  5. #5Delmer2018-01-28 21:35

    HeavyEquipmentForums post #11

  6. #6farmerlund2018-01-29 15:17

    carry a small I beam around with you. jam it in the ground. rub bucket on it to clean out the inside. Works good. I have used it when i occasionally run into some sticky clay.