Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

980C reman head difference?

YulMY ยท 2023-10-03 05:09

Machine SN: 13B01220 Does anyone know what're the differences between 0R3718 and 0R3719 cyl head group? I have a short block here (0R4812) and was wondering if I can use any of those cyl head for this block. Looking at my references, the block original head reman should be 0R3719. But it is not in stock. 0R3718 head is available and was wondering if I can use it with my short block. As far as I am aware, both should have the same valves and interchangeable parts. The dealer that I am contacting at the moment is also not sure and is waiting for confirmation. Thought I'd ask here first. Thanks in advance.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2023-10-03 05:29

    Is 7W-2203 the original Part Number of the Cylinder Head Gp.? That's what the Parts Manual throws up but for all I know you could have a different engine installed that is not original. If so please give the engine S/No.

  2. #2Nige2023-10-03 06:55

    On the short block what engine S/N does it give to use for "parts & service ordering information"

  3. #3YulMY2023-10-11 01:52

    Sorry for the late reply, was sick for a few days. It was originally 1w1439, cyl head gp should be 7w2202. Engine SN is not visible. We do have 3 980C here. It's possible the engine was interchanged with one another in the past. 13B1220, 5XJ00684, and 63X2436 are the machines SN. The engine head PN is based on a reference book that we have here, and is used as reference for all 3 machines. However, I believe it's for the 13B. I need to recheck this back. This should be engraved on the short block yes? Short block was old back up spare that was ordered long time ago. But I think to rephrase the question, if I have a short block 0R4812, which head should I use? 0R3718 or 0R3719? Or both the same? Are all 0R4812 block different depending on the SN?

  4. #4Nige2023-10-11 04:19

    Sorry I checked the Reman marking system. The short block will not have a Serial Number or reference information apart from the 0R-4812 Part Number. Either way take a look at it, there should be two plates, one with the Part Number and the 2nd with the details of the crank bearing sizes. I was thinking of a complete engine. In the illustration below there are two Serial Numbers, one for the Reman engine and a 2nd to obtain parts and service information for that engine. No. The make-up of an 0R-4812 will always be the same.

  5. #5Nige2023-10-11 04:30

    That is correct. See attached. 1W-1439/7W-2202 head is listed as being correct for 0R-4812 short block. See the column with 0R-3751 long block shown at the top. To complicate matters the Reman for 1W-1439/7W-2202 is shown as 0R-3675 which is different to the question regarding 0R-3718/0R-3719 in your OP.

  6. #6YulMY2023-10-11 05:25

    Just double checked the reference book that I have here, can barely make out the engine SN. 70V21813-UP I think is the engine SN. But it should be 70V family. 0R3675 is replaced with 0R3719. If based on this, the correct head should be 0R3719. Just wanted to confirm if head 0R3718 is really not compatible with this short block. Although, for 0R3718, I think it can fit the 70V engine family, which is for this shortblock.

  7. #7Nige2023-10-11 05:28

    All I can tell you is that 0R-3718 and 0R-3719 use a different basic cylinder head Part Number. That in itself is enough for me to advise against trying to use the 0R-3718.

  8. #8Nige2023-10-11 05:38

    The difference could be the exhaust port style, round vs rectangular. I found this on SEBD6668 and it is linked in NPR to 0R3719 where it mentions "please refer to SEBD6668 for exhaust port type verification". "The part service 110-5096, 110-5097, and 115-2364 Cylinder Head Assemblies have round exhaust ports. EITHER round or rectangular port exhaust manifolds can be used with these round port cylinder heads. But, a round port exhaust manifold can NOT be used with a rectangular port cylinder head. NOTE: When installing a rectangular port exhaust manifold on a round port cylinder head, use the appropriate rectangular port exhaust manifold gasket. "