Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

980g service codes

precision dirt · 2023-04-23 18:31

CAT 980G loader serial # 9CM00025 that is flashing a transmission light on dash and giving me service codes of 177.08 638.05 671.01 352.00 353.13 490.05 Machine fluids are full and operates and functions as it should I just have the transmission alarm. I changed and inspected transmission filter just to be safe but suspect I could have a bad sensor on filter housing or connection problem since alarm started after the machine had been parked for a rainy week. Can anyone help with the codes just so I have another starting point.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2023-04-23 19:39

    Does the SERV CODE icon stay lit up after the panel has completed the self-test.? If yes then you need to find out which of that list of Codes is Active. If you don't have a Click Box use the work-around shown in Posts 50/51 on Page 3 of this thread to get the Monitor into Service Mode (Mode 3). The famous Cat "Click Box" It is a regular event on HEF for someone to post a question regarding Cat machine electronics, Diagnostic Codes, etc. For a large number of the questions posted the answer(s) revolve around the famous Cat “Click Box”, otherwise known as the 4C-8195 Control Service Tool. This tool usually hooks... HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2precision dirt2023-04-24 09:37

    Good information Nige. Thanks. Code 177.08 is active and the rest are logged codes. I have also been informed that codes that have SERV CODE lit while displaying code are active, if SERV CODE is not lit it’s a logged code. Any truth to this?

  3. #3Nige2023-04-24 09:55

    That is correct. I’ll take a look for a troubleshooting procedure for the 177.08. EDIT: 177.08 is a signal voltage issue to the transmission temp sensor. See attached.

  4. #4precision dirt2023-05-01 12:41

    Thanks Nige. I have checked wiring and connections with no luck so decided to replace sensor. Cat sent me a three wire part # 131-0427 sensor when machine has a 2 wire. Is there another sender I’m missing somewhere?

  5. #5Nige2023-05-01 13:09

    Did you follow the procedure posted above step by step.? Done correctly it should have indicated where the problem lies. The transmission temperature sensor on your machine is definitely 3-wire. What are the numbers and colours on the machine side of the 2-wire component you found - 417 Grey & 201 Black.? If they are you're likely on the secondary steering pressure switch, so whatever tests you did would not have been any use. Is there a 3E-6450 Part Number somewhere on the body.? Below is the location of the transmission temp sensor. I suggest that you find it and repeat the tests I linked above. My suspicion based on a 177-8 Diagnostic Code is that you are going to find a wiring fault rather than a sensor problem..

  6. #6Nige2023-05-01 13:25

    Here's a better illustration. Ref #20. This is a view of the LH side of the machine.

  7. #7precision dirt2023-05-08 20:52

    Thanks for all your help Nige. Sorry I haven’t replied sooner. I found sensor in location you provided. I was looking in another location due to some bad info from an ex cat service guy. Found pigtail coming out of sensor with wire coating coming apart. Wires were bare all the way down into sensor so had to replace anyway. Once again thanks for your good information.

  8. #8Nige2023-05-08 21:06

    No worries. Glad you got it fixed.

  9. #9hunterdog9672023-07-12 08:13

    Don't have a click box and don't understand work around in post 50/51 on page 3 . Can you post information.

  10. #10Nige2023-07-12 08:25

    All the information that you need is in posts 50-52. I don't see how much more clearly I can explain it. As suggested in the first line of Post #50, did you read the whole thread starting from Page 1 and especially Post #16, and maybe Post #17 as well, on Page 1 where the theory of how a Click Box works is explained.? That post is probably key to understanding how it works. In its simplest form all you are attempting to do is to briefly connect one, the other, or in some cases both, of two wires (290 & 291) from the CMS Panel to machine frame ground.