I am installing alot of new hydraulic hoses on my old 580CK, and was wondering if it makes sense to try to prime the lines and cylinders as I am putting new hoses on? Over a gallon of fluid drained out of this cylinder when I removed the old hoses. Another gallon on the other side. Since I have removed the metal lines going up to the top of these cylinders, it would be fairly easy to fill them back up with fluid before closing up the lines. Is this a wise thing to do, or is it best just to put the hoses on and leave everything empty and allow the tractor pump to run the fluid to them?
I wouldn't bother, they should self purge the air as you begin to work them a bit. Only thing to watch is the cylinders will be very jumpy for a bit until the air works it's way out. And keep an eye on the hyd tank as you will obviously be losing a lot of oil the first couple minutes.
Actuate the functions slowly , real slow , to ease the air out. Fill the reservoir with oil and work them again. The oil will foam up some and look like it has water in it.
lantraxo and dickjr......thanks for your advice.....I will do as you say. Good time to drain the entire hydraulic system and put a new filter on first.
that oil your draining out don't look very healthy, might want to consider a change.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the hydraulic sump on the CK the transmission housing? If so, be sure sure the boots on the on the transmission shift levers are in good shape, deteriorated (or missing) shift lever boots are a prime place for water to enter the sump.
stumpjumper......yep, gonna drain and add new.....on my list.
willie.....The hydraulic fluid is acutually contained in the two side loader frames...in this pic you can see the filler cap on the left, and a vent cap on the right. The 4spd tranny gets the same 90 weight as the rear end differential, and the Hi/Lo Range box in front of the tranny gets hydraulic fluid (seperate from the loader)