Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A new Iveco 4×4…

SeaMac ยท 2012-06-18 20:07

It is rumored since the purchase of Chrysler/Jeep by Fiat that Fiat owned Iveco trucks might be making their way back to the States. In the mid and late 80's Iveco was a popular truck in my area. Here's what they have to offer now, I hope they do come back. I have family and friends some in the industry in Italy and they tell me Iveco trucks are indestructable. Iveco Eurocargo 4x4 Iveco Trakker

Replies21
  1. #1buckfever2012-06-18 20:38

    That would make one hell of a service truck.

  2. #2jdm2012-06-18 20:41

    You have a wreck and you will be the first one there.

  3. #3SeaMac2012-06-18 20:41

    Yeah it would, or fuel/lube truck, water truck, truck to take the L'il Woman to dinner, truck to take the boat to the ramp. Yeah, it's a nice truck, they all are!

  4. #4SeaMac2012-06-18 20:44

    Ahh c'mon now, just because it's a cabover design doesn't mean it's not safe. Honestly, I'd feel safer in an accident driving an Iveco than some or our so-called safe class 6,7 and 8 trucks. European's put a greater emphasis on safety than we do.

  5. #5tireman2012-06-18 21:54

    What's the story with three of the four new trucks coming with tube type tires?:idontgetit And they're radials, so they'll run even hotter.Who'd want a new truck with those?:crazy

  6. #6SeaMac2012-06-18 22:02

    Huh? Sorry tireman, but I have absolutely no idea what you are referring too. I am by no means an expert when it comes to tires and if you mean "these" trucks it's only a rumor that they're coming. It does freak me out a little that you can actually see a tube inside the tire.

  7. #7tireman2012-06-18 22:12

    Can't see inside the tire,although I can see the valve stems of inner tubes on the drive wheels of the single steer axle tractor(third one down). You can tell by the wheels.Flat rim-base is tube-type multi-piece.See the hump in the wheels of the drive tires on the bottom truck?That's called the "drop center". It's the dead give-away that they are tubeless.

  8. #8SeaMac2012-06-18 22:18

    Well I'll be, I think I just learned something about rims and tires. Actually the rim with the "drop center" would've been the one I thought had a tube in it. Not yet an expert but damn if I ain't a little smarter. Thanks tireman and I am less freaked out now... :notworthy

  9. #9Scrub Puller2012-06-19 03:12

    Yair . . . tireman. Excuse me for showing my age and ignorance but wouldn't tube type tyres be better in the rough stuff when it's 52C in the water-bag and you're fixing them yourself? Cheers.

  10. #10tireman2012-06-19 06:49

    Well, I suppose if you wanna fight the tube being vulcanized to the inside of the tire, you'll be in for one hell of a workout.Tubeless tires are MUCH easier to service/change than tube-type.On outside duals(or even steers on aluminum wheel) the tire can be easily changed with the wheel still on the truck.

  11. #11Scrub Puller2012-06-19 12:21

    Yair . . . tireman. Gotcha mate. I have had nothing to do with the new technology but have heard tubless can be a PITA without lots of fast air for seating. Cheers.

  12. #12tireman2012-06-19 17:05

    They can be.Depends on the casing brand.Some brands-Michelin, Bridgestone,BFG to name a few- will take air every time-new or used.Some(namely the old Goodyear 100 and 200 series) will NEVER take air-new or used- without a blast or packing the beads with soap.If you're gonna be servicing your own tires you need to be properly equipped.A bucket of Murphy's and you are good to go,although it never hurts to have a blast tank.The key is to have more air entering the assembly than leaking out.In other words, valve core out and a wide open connection from your air line to the valve,namely a nipple that connects to your female quick-connect and screws onto the threads of the valve.DISCLAIMER-these should only be used to seat the beads and be removed in favor of a clip on air chuck to inflate the tire to proper PSI.

  13. #13tireman2012-06-19 17:08

    That all mainly applies to 22.5 and 24.5 tubeless truck tires.As for my past experience, every 19.5 tire(which is what appears to me to be on the above Iveco) I ever saw took air without issue.

  14. #14d4c24a2012-06-20 15:31

    iveco i would certainly not have one by choice ,bit are always falling off in the cab , electrical gremlins , porous liners , diff casing has cracked its around 4-5 years old

  15. #15SeaMac2012-06-20 15:51

    Really? Well there's nothing better than testimony from someone who actually owns or operates one. That's too bad, they look like they're very capable trucks. Your candor and honesty is much appreciated.

  16. #16td25c2012-06-20 21:38

    The Iveco's are interesting trucks SeaMac. www.iveco.com I dont see any dealers in the United States or Canada on the website. Our local Ford Dealer is looking at some options on class 8 trucks,They lost Sterling and cant get a Mack or Peterbuilt dealership. The Iveco's look like they are built tough .If Iveco would back up there parts & repairs supply for the trucks I could see them comming to North America.

  17. #17SeaMac2012-06-20 21:40

    Iveco used to be in the US back in the late 80's and early 90's. Since Fiat now owns Chrysler/Jeep and Iveco it is rumored they will be coming back to the states. There is another European truck manufacturer that has already made its debut here in the states but mostly with Federal Forest Fire Fighting units and that is Tatra , they too make some very rugged trucks.

  18. #18hotgemini2012-07-29 22:54

    Alright, so not a lot of love for the cab-over. How about for a bonneted truck from Iveco? Iveco Powerstar 7800 - front Iveco Powerstar 7800 - Front on More pictures here too http://www.flickr.com/photos/atkinson3800/6859070710/in/set-72157625935380204 600hp ISX 14000lb or 16500lb front end 52000lb rear end 18 speed eaton (RTLO 22918B) 309000lb GCM 475 gallon fuel capacity. Thoughts?

  19. #19nickbowers2012-07-30 05:01

    wouldnt want to go near one with a 100 foot pole, everything breaks, in the cab it looks like its done a million kms when they have only done 3-400,000 although in saying that we have one that my old man is the only one that drives it and its still in perfect condition and in the last 10 years its only ever had a turbo replaced. You buy an isuzu and it can get trashed to hell and back but it will always clean up alright and nothing major breaks

  20. #20hotgemini2012-08-01 16:23

    Um, the truck I posted was only released at the Melbourne truck show, I think you might be confusing it with the rest of iveco's range.

  21. #21nickbowers2012-08-02 04:31

    I was talking about ivecos in general in reply to the OP. That new Iveco will be no different to any of the previous models, it is the same as buying a freightliner