Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kenworth Fuel Caps

hvy 1ton ยท 2012-06-17 19:47

Does someone make caps for kenworth tanks that don't leak when used in a vocational/offroad application?

Replies12
  1. #1Dozerboy2012-06-17 20:17

    Not that I have seen we just didn't fill it up.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2012-06-17 23:30

    About half of ours leak and half don't. Never bothered to figure out the difference.

  3. #3Dualie2012-06-18 01:52

    Nope. getting them to seal is the luck of the draw.

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2012-06-18 01:56

    I know what you mean. Mine only catch about a thread and a half, and I always have fuel residue around the cap collecting dust.

  5. #5TCS2012-06-18 06:37

    Old cap,new gasket,double gaskets,then to a new cap,tighten the **** out of it so you need a small block of wood to knock it off and KW fuel caps still may leak.At one point I even bought each truck an oil filter wrench of the right size for the drivers to tighten the caps. Since KW went to the threaded caps from the "yes I am that old" old style expandable rubber plug fuel caps that never leaked,the threaded caps have been a problem!

  6. #6buckfever2012-06-18 19:52

    On ours the one on the pasenger side only goes on about a half a thread and doesn't leak but the driver side goes on almost two threads and leaks like a sieve. Don't understand why the went to that kind of cap. My two fords have those big ugly brass caps that don't leak a drop. Should of just kept it simple.

  7. #7Soodude2012-06-18 22:14

    I took a piece of sponge and put it under the cap. Just remove the center screw for the breather and put a washer over the center of the spongs and screw it down. Now the fuel splashes against the sponge and soaks in intead of hitting the cap and seeping out a micro gap we can never seem to find

  8. #851kw2012-06-18 22:28

    Alot of the leaks come from scratches in the filler neck from fuel nozzles.

  9. #9Dualie2012-06-19 01:51

    Oh yea i forgot that brings back a memory of carefully filling down the top of the neck on the fuel tank of my T800. seemed to help slow the leak a bit.

  10. #10hvy 1ton2012-06-30 17:56

    I guess i'll try sponges. Thanks for all the replies guys. Bossman got a kick out of the filter wrench.

  11. #11Dualie2012-07-01 19:31

    have you looked at any nicks on the neck?

  12. #12hvy 1ton2012-07-01 21:29

    The one i looked at today while fuel didn't have any on the top but on the inside. It's also non-venting.