So ive been looking for a heavier truck to replace our f 650 dump. Found a decent truck its a 98 international m11 cummins 280 hp 120,000 miles 9 speed road ranger was a tractor conversion and no jake brake. So my question is should i hold out for an 8 LL or even 10 LL or will this be an ok trans for me. I want to put my pc 120 on a tag behind this rig. Thanks for you input.
I think this truck will do the work, the M11 (even though its not my favorite engine) has good, not great power, 9 speed is OK, Jake brake???? I guess it depends on the price If the F650 does the job, the Int should do it twice as good. Im not favorite with your area, but if youve got to pull many hills, maybe hold out for a bigger engine
I was told an 8LL is better for pulling in sites and what not. We have many hills here so my little 210 hp cat in the 650 is a dog and i cant move my pc 120 with it. The guy is asking 16,000 which in my research seems fairly cheap. How much would i be looking at to add a jake?
We really dont use jakes in our area, mostly flat. I think before I would spend $2-$3,000 (just a guess) for a jake I would try to find a truck, already equipped What model truck is this, $16,000 for 1998 Int. single axle, is high for me. I bought a 1995 Ford L9000 quad dump a few months ago, for $17,000 I think I would try to find a tandem, you have the benefit of the extra axle, if you need it I like my Ford L9000, trucks, they are tough Keep checking Craigslist, in your area
Hold out.You don't want on highway specs for a dump truck, especially the rears.You want at the very least 3.90's or 4.11's.By the way, there's no such thing as 10LL.There's the 8LL and the 15 speed, both of which use the blue splitter button.There's a lot of truth to what's been said about the old L-8000 & L-9000 Fords.
We have a L 9000 and like was said they are work horses. But they are just like work horses no frills or fancy but they get the job done. If you can wait for a tandem do it you will be much happier when the ground gets soft. And also stay away from tracktor convertions if you can, they are usealy lightly speced and have to tall of gears. As for the motor everyone wants a giant hammer under the hood but if the trucks geared right it will move you down the road just fine maybe a little slower then you want. If you plan on getting in the dirt a with this truck often low geares is a must.
Thanks for the responses guys. I like the idea of a tandem but the extra axle extra tires extra registration fees are what im afraid of. I know it would probably be useful but with all the tight lots were on i dont know if it would be a help or hinderance.