Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

a qball rant.

qball · 2009-07-08 22:01

i don't know what has me more wound up today,dumb truck drivers or landscapers. they have both been a p.i.t.a. since i got in the trades 16 years ago, but today they both conspired to drive me to insanity today. drivers, dump where i say. simple. easy. not five feet up, not over. RIGHT WHERE I POINT AND RIGHT WHEN I BEEP.end of story! and LANDSCAPERS!it is only dirt. relax! it will buff out. every landscaper i have ever dealt with has been a frustrated operator wanna-be, just because all you can run is a bobcat and a skip, don't hate me for having big boy equipment. end of rant.

Replies103
  1. #1willie592009-07-08 22:08

    Could always ask them to put ya back on the little roller Q!

  2. #2qball2009-07-08 22:20

    now that was funny!:drinkup:drinkup:drinkup

  3. #3willie592009-07-08 22:30

    Another species that will drive ya crazy...carpenters that have never worked around a crane! (not to be confused with those that have). I pulled up on a site one day in a TMS100 Grove hydro crane to set trusses. The carpenter forman walked up to me and asked (with a serious look on his face) "Is that all the boom you have?" I knew, right then, it was going to be one of those days. :Banghead

  4. #4qball2009-07-08 22:31

    speechless.lol

  5. #5wormkiller2009-07-08 22:38

    Ha ha! At least yer not around houses or tryin to carry grade on contract time. I bet you got a 963 because you gotta pick up the piles that were dumped in the wrong place. It'll get worse before it gets better, trust me. :drinkup

  6. #6td25c2009-07-08 22:42

    qball,I have found that a hand shovel and wheelbarrow are great stress relievers and depending on the location they may be cosidered big boy equipment.If you run them long enough ,you will forget about the landscapers and have piece once again.Hope this helps Q.

  7. #7qball2009-07-08 22:48

    worm, when i worked for you, i never let the drivers get to me. even when they came after me with a hammer. these guys that i work for now have the worst, i mean absolutely worst drivers i have ever dealt with. i am getting worked up just thinking about tomorrow.:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

  8. #8CascadeScaper2009-07-08 22:49

    When I start to get irritated with truck drivers I just sit back, relax, and remember that I am currently on a payroll. Try it, you'll like it! But I hear you, sometimes truck drivers really drive me up the wall. Gig I'm on now they're all pretty good as long as you brief them in the morning as they come through the first round.

  9. #9D5G2009-07-08 22:51

    ohh boy, sounds like q had a funnn day. I see you haved doned tomorrow 'open season'...good luck, I hear they run fast!

  10. #10CascadeScaper2009-07-08 23:07

    Truck drivers run? Maybe their mouths, that's about it! Okay, I'll pipe down now. :drinkup

  11. #11oversize2009-07-09 06:12

    I hope your talking about dump truck drivers, Because us float drivers can have a rant about you guys, :yup

  12. #12landrvrnut222009-07-09 10:35

    Just pound a stake in the ground, wrap it with ribbon, where you want them to dump. It's gauranteed they will either run over it, or bury it dead center in the pile.

  13. #13tonka2009-07-09 11:17

    If a truck driver doesn't do what i tell him, oh well he's not comming back to my yard. There's atleast 20 more drivers out there who will do what i want when i want!

  14. #14DPete2009-07-09 15:17

    Had 35 bellydumps loading off of 2 windrows I dozed up with 2 loaders one on each windrow. They would stack up behind one of the windrows waiting to load and the other loader would be sitting there waiting. I got off the dozer to have a spirited discussion with one of the drivers about the loader sitting there waiting for a truck and he was sitting there reading a book! I say " I think it would be a good idea if you head for that other loader" guy says " OK no problem":Banghead:Banghead Da blind leading the da blind

  15. #15qball2009-07-09 17:20

    and the office called me and asked me to try and be nicer to the nitwits. tomorrow, i am loading, not spreading payback via skybomb!

  16. #16D1552009-07-09 17:55

    Truck drivers are a herd animal. If one does it, you can damn sure bet the next one will too.

  17. #17Copenhagen2009-07-09 18:15

    Jeez thats horrible! Dirt never bothered me but I had one guy skybomb me with concrete. After a spirited discussion, he was very gentle when he loaded my truck.

  18. #18John C.2009-07-09 20:36

    A forman on a local dirt job got a call about a dump truck up the road about a mile with a problem. He got in the pickup, drove up there and found the dumper on its side. After making sure the driver was OK they both went to call a wrecker to get it turned back on its feet. When they got back to the truck they found 12 more loads of dirt dumped behind the truck. Herd Animal

  19. #19Finish Blademan2009-07-09 22:10

    They`ll run it over.....:Banghead I had my surveyor on a site today working.Before he even left,4 , 3 foot offset curbstakes had been plowed and one of the hubs for elevation he set was squished and messed up. I pulled up on site and seen him coming full bore for my truck.... He is about 5 foot 2 and I call him "smurf" because of his size. He was fuming po`d mad when I rolled the window down.... I made one phone call and said" 125 dollars an hour minimum,tell the next one that hits one,you, his boss will be paying the bill to reset em". My oh my could I tell ya truck driver stories....... and folks wonder why I want to go have a cold beer on Friday nights after a week of importing 10,000 plus tons onto my sites....:bash:Banghead:drinkup

  20. #20Turbo218352009-07-10 19:31

    Why dont have time for Qball rants. Serious Forum is SERIOUS

  21. #21AtlasRob2009-07-11 15:39

    I think that the problems faced by truck drivers when arriving on site are serious. They might have been here before but last time tipped over there, now the machine is over here,... ...... dam who put that peg there it wasnt there last time, :beatsme dont matter its only wood, them steel ones some sites have started using will damage a tyre if you dont catch em just right Now who is going to tell the poor confused truck driver where to tip :beatsme Then you get the machine operators angle on it,.......... enter Qball

  22. #22D5G2009-07-11 17:11

    I also have been blown away by the stupidity of some truck drivers. Yesterday I was at a pipe job, load of stone shows up, yelling at the truck driver to drop the load in the same spot he dumped the last one, (which was no more than 30 minutes previous) easy right? NOPE! He put it EVERYWHERE but the spot wanted. I asked him if next time I should install a grade stake with appropriate markings for him to dump over, I got the funniest look...... By the time he got done, it looked like he tailgated about 50' of road. :Banghead The other funny thing is, it was a private hauler, which USUALLY are famous for dumping loads anywhere they wanted, just to get rid of them...this guys was quite the opposite, it took him 45 mins to drop 12 ton of stone. :bash I hope they get another driver next week... ointhead

  23. #23qball2009-07-11 17:30

    the company drivers think they are God's gift. i have seen better driving outta highschool girls. and i am the jerk for getting excited and yelling because they won't follow my orders. arrgh!

  24. #24willie592009-07-11 21:25

    Looks like Rob has ya pegged there Q. :falldownlaugh:beerchug

  25. #25alco2009-07-11 22:58

    I feel your pain! The only real difference is when they dump to me, it's usually 400 plus tons at a time. I mean, really, you only have to be smarter than the truck. Brian

  26. #26telescooper2009-07-12 07:49

    Hi everyone my name is Telescooper and I used to to be a------ truck driver. I think all equipment operators should have to be a truck driver. Operating a commercial truck or ADT can be very stressful. I think, drivers like to distribute the stress amongst the job. They are stressed, so they want you to be also. I have often wondered why when they leave the job loaded at 5 min intervals, how they all manage to arrive back at once ( herd). I have arrived at the conclusion to that one day, they are having a meeting on how to agitate the excavator, mill, paver operator. I have found that drivers can think independently sometimes, when they see a driver doing what he is supposed to be doing ( future equipment operator) they will think independently and dump or wait someplace else. I have also found be nice they leave the job, this does have some benefits. When they are gone they are out of your hair, when they stop they can bring back cold soda pops, sandwiches. The people that I find more annoying then drivers sometimes are foremen. You know the foremen that have never done anything or couldn't if they tried. The one that received the white gift of knowledge because he was an @$$ $*<"!*& weasel. Last but not least the foreman that only comes around when management is there and then starts barking out commands like he has been there all day and knows what is going on. Just my little rant Telescooper

  27. #27tonka2009-07-12 12:03

    telescooper, whats being a truck driver got to do with anything? if a operator tells you to dump some place, dump there! Yes i have my CDL and was a truck driver too, i always did what the operator asked me to do because he was loading me and i wanted to get paid and get loads to! I still have my CDL and could go back trucking at anytime but operating is my 1st love! tonka rant over, carry on!

  28. #28telescooper2009-07-12 13:18

    Tonka I think we all should be drivers at some time, because you will get a different perspective on things. I also think it will make you a better operator because you know what there job is. I have a CDL and have been around heavy trucks since I was a kid and driving heavy trucks for over 25 yrs. You know what they should be doing, because you did it. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with it, just my opinion. Maybe thats why get agitated with them, they should know, and probably do know, but would sooner agitate an operator. Just my 2 cents worth. Telescooper

  29. #29ronnie2009-07-12 14:04

    i think all dump truck drivers should have to set on a dozer and let me the FORMAN/finish operator(not because i kiss azz but because i did my time and know what i'm doin)dump for them because i've drove dump trucks also and you can understand more about whats goin on if you spent time pushin the mess down than makin it not all drivers a idiots

  30. #30AtlasRob2009-07-12 14:24

    Education / experience is the answer to the problem. I worked for a growing muckshift outfit a good few years back. The biggest problem we had ( as a company ) was there were only a couple of experienced ADT operators. When you had 6 trucks on site and only 1 of them experienced the other 5 dragged the 1 good one down to their level, .........dont give a toss :Banghead Now, if you have 5 experienced and 1 newby, the newby at least has a chance of learning what he should be doing. He'll probably get blaggarded to hell and back in the mean time but isnt that part of the education Then you have the problem of road truck drivers ...................herd animal :deadhorse

  31. #31telescooper2009-07-12 15:19

    Ronnie You are right not all drivers are idiots, and not all foreman are *** ******* weasels. Telscooper

  32. #32qball2009-07-12 18:40

    wow! i have had the weekend to relax and now i face the thought of dealing with these clowns again tomorrow. not all drivers are bad. lindahl brothers has over 100 pete semi's on the road, and when and where the operator points is where the truck goes. no drama. i was spoiled working there. but, i will win. i have trained drivers before. operators>drivers. but landscapers are going to be a whiny p.i.t.a. for ever.

  33. #33stock2009-07-12 18:46

    I'll second that . Stock

  34. #34td25c2009-07-12 19:02

    Take it easy Q and watch your blood pressure tomorrow.I am going to be making grade and setting forms for 5' wide sidewalks this week and I may need a good roller man to compact the stone.I have pretty good luck with most truck drivers.And when pouring concrete give the driver a kined word and a cold can of soda pop and he will put that crete rite where it needs to go making my job alot easyer.

  35. #35Bully2009-07-12 19:04

    I feel your pain Q. I had to load mill trucks with high sides (EUC R 60's) out of a stockpile. They were training new drivers.:Banghead So was I. MuuuHAHHHAHAAHAHAHAAA!!!!! On a serious note, sometimes when gettin loaded from a stockpile, the loaderman will wait with his bucket in the air where he wants you to be loaded. That has always worked for me on both sides of the pile. Some drivers get it, some don't right away,and some never will. Some operators expect you to read their minds though. I had that problem with a brother, who wanted to stay pushed into the pile, then would bitch when you lined up in the wrong area. Not totally wrong, but wrong for him. Told him I left my crystal ball at the house. But if he wanted to load me and dig in particular spot, I'd be right under his raised, full bucket.

  36. #36qball2009-07-12 19:47

    25c, i would love to run roller for you. are you buying lunch? bully, all i ask when loading is to pull under the bucket and stay in the cab.

  37. #37Bully2009-07-12 20:01

    Had a contract driver get out of his truck and stand on the running board. My buddy was loading him, well really just waiting to load him. Made him wait 20 minutes before the driver started waving and swearing at him to load him up. Big mistake. The driver was getting electric furnace slag. Real dusty, and mostly lime and hobs. He got just what he asked for. Dude and his truck looked like a powdered donut. He promptly returned to his cab after the first bucket. :drinkup

  38. #38liebherr11602009-07-12 22:24

    I can run crane ,drive a truck ,Yup some driver's are just so far out there ...part i hate the most are drivers who leave both window's up when backing into a job ...I had an a apprentice like that ..I put the windows down and pulled the fuse. DRIVER'S yer deaf with the windows up ..Second if i say i want another 3 feet i get another 3 feet ...not "You'll take it from where i put it ".. response is usally .."take yer truck and yer load back to where you got it' , or .."im by the hour buddy not the mile" and go grab a coffee.. M' kay.. Now the second .. and in case no one has been paying attention ..they are the most important trade on the job ,they cant stop or move ...they cant go around another piece of equipment or take the opposite route around .. they always get in the way and have no regard that there are 500 more men trying to get a job done ... and thats Bricklayer's .. now there's a headache and fight the minute you decide where the crane ,excavator , light socket or pipe run is gonna go... Its block boys it wont go bad... the mortar comes in sacks and its made everyday .. This has been a most uplifting thread ...Qball ..I feel yer pain and I'll ship you some Advil..or a pint of Pilsner Urquell.

  39. #39willie592009-07-12 22:29

    If I come up with a rant...will you ship me some Scotch? :drinkup

  40. #40liebherr11602009-07-12 22:32

    GEEZ Man!!! ... im just the operator ..not the owner :beatsme

  41. #41willie592009-07-12 22:34

    Arrgggghhhh! :Banghead

  42. #42qball2009-07-12 22:42

    if you are backing up and on the phone, i am gonna go ape-poop! and, i would prefer some nice tres pistoles. that is sum gooood canadian brew.

  43. #43special tool2009-07-13 06:48

    This is a good thread - just wish you had put the words "truck driver" in the title....be a lot more fireworks that way. Oh yeah - have fun today, Qball.:tong

  44. #44tonka2009-07-13 10:24

    So your saying you want some Foster's?

  45. #45liebherr11602009-07-13 11:14

    When i want a headache ,severe hangover and a loose bowel movement ..I'll drink Canadian made beer ... Think its made from moldy yeast and cattle manure..

  46. #46Steve Frazier2009-07-13 11:59

    Uh oh.....:shf

  47. #47stock2009-07-13 16:08

    Something wrong with you taste buds ATCOEQUIP, SCOTCH baaah

  48. #48qball2009-07-13 17:09

    honest, steve, i had no idea! i guess we are a little passionate about disliking dump drivers and beer.

  49. #49Bladerunner980g2009-07-13 17:35

    I hear ya I hear you guys about bad truck drivers, I drive tri axle most of the time some time i will do alittle operating but it seems like no one cares anymore especaily drivers i do my best for my company and for operators if they want the load right there then dang it its going to be there. I have lots of respect for operators and hoping to get more seat time in equipment. I am not going to lie i have hit a grade stake or two when i frist started out now if i am not sure i get out and look but some of the drivers i have seen are in absoulte insult to the business and should not be driving still they are still in business for example: i was hauling clean fill to a houseing project from a sand pit the trip was about 15miles well the guy in front of me forgets to lock his gate i get on the radio to notify driver of the tailgate being open his response was and i qoate" Its not going anywhere" and sure enough i followed half of his load back to the site, and this was a sandy graval fill so it was everywhere you could tell when he shifted a gear thats how bad it was. And i still see the idiot around. I sure hope he got the bill for the sweeper crew to come out.

  50. #50OCR2009-07-13 18:19

    Well, stock... that should start the rant... :lmao OCR...

  51. #51stock2009-07-13 18:56

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV6wAJVCVus this is what happens if you drink that vile liquid

  52. #52Finish Blademan2009-07-13 18:57

    I have a class a cdl I`ve hauled many a load of rock,fines,etc when I was absolutely pressed to get material because I was down a driver that day.I`ve hauled machinery of every kind as well.. Some drivers are good,but in about every 20 I see dump a load ,maybe 2 are alright.The rest are stake killing,no backing,need to go back to truck driving school for another 10 years..BAD

  53. #53alco2009-07-13 19:24

    You know, before I even clicked on the link, that was the video that popped into my mind. Brian

  54. #54willie592009-07-13 20:42

    :lmao :laugh :falldownlaugh Dang...never said I was going to drink it all in one sittin'! Man, that was funny...that's as good as some of the Monty Python stuff! Hey, at least, I ain't a dumptruck driver or landscaper. :bouncegri

  55. #55qball2009-07-13 20:49

    oh, i am sure they aren't ALL bad.:tong there are a couple good landscapers, i'm sure.:Banghead:Banghead

  56. #56telescooper2009-07-13 20:51

    Hi all Any dump truck drivers out there, are you drivers afraid to jump in and defend yourselves . Remember without trucks America stops:usa Telescooper

  57. #57stock2009-07-14 01:22

    Two things if we plied the truck drivers with vile liquid they may become more compliant ,and When a rather famous slates man was accused of being drunk by a female he replied "My dear I maybe drunk now but in the morning I will be sober but you will still be ugly" I would have to agree with everything said in the posts very few trades give as much grief as the truck driver and landscapers and them scapers can make some mess. Stock

  58. #58Finish Blademan2009-07-14 06:25

    The funniest thing I ever seen on a jobsite.I had a loader operator that was just flat awesome with a 938 Cat.Could build pads as good as some boxblade and blade operators I have seen. He was notoriously hard on drivers.I think he had some sort of complex with them as his radio would go constantly with his yells of STOP!!!PULL UP! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?? TURN YOUR RADIO DOWN SO YOU CAN HEAR MY HORN!!!!ETC, ETC.. Well this one day he was clearing a site for a house pad and loading trees and brush on trucks. I pull up and see this big ring of orange marking paint about 75 feet from where he was loading a truck. Inside it stands this driver... I get out and walk up to the loader to talk to him. I asked him,"Whats with the ring and the stake killer standing in it?' He says,"I am tired of these guys standing on their steps, walking around me while I`m loading,so I made a ring for em.That is the only place they can be if they are outside of the truck".. I busted out laughing when he said,"Its like I`m workin with my kids ,so I made em a room and send em to it".... The driver is standing over there looking up into space .I left and asked the owner where he was. I told him,go over to Mikey`s job ,you gotta see this.. By the end of the day,every operator had heard of his way to "herd cats and keep em from getting runover"..The funniest thing I ever seen.. BTW,drivers hated Mike but he was a foreman so they had to suck it up. The good drivers he was good to,but the bad ones trembled on the radio when they got on his job.....

  59. #59BlackbeardMX2009-07-14 10:14

    Any of ya'll ever deal with log truck drivers? You have to herd them the same way. You have to lay logs on either side of the road so they don't drive into the ditch. Kind of like the orange circle. They have to have lines to follow.

  60. #60qball2009-07-14 17:24

    i had a dump driver that would leave before he was full, so i pushed a big boulder in front of his truck before i started loading black dirt. sure enough, at 3 buckets, not 4 and a horn, he took off and whacked the rock. he came unglued and i laughed at him, which only made him more upset. he called the owner of the company i worked for, as the driver was an owner-operator, to whine and the owner asked, did qball tell you to leave? um, no. well then, what is the problem? bwaaaahaaahaaaa. he came after me with a hammer a few weeks later, but it was worth it.

  61. #61special tool2009-07-14 17:30

    Did you really do that? Well you are a troublemaker for sure...

  62. #62qball2009-07-14 17:40

    i did and have done worse. operators>drivers. if they do as they are told, no problem. no listen, big problem.

  63. #63dozerdave2009-07-14 22:13

    On a dam job I was loading 120 ton Dart bellydumps with an 18 yd. Dart loader loading impervious material for the core. One of the teamsters would always pull in, give me a big smile and pour a cup of coffee and hold it up to tease me because I never had any spare time to drink coffee. At lunch time I told the cat skinner to go up on top of the cut and push over some wet clay. When that driver came in I had the wet clay packed in my bucket, pulled up to the truck, hit the brakes and dumped the 18 yds. all in one lump. Funniest thing you ever saw, him and the hot coffee bouncing around in the cab. I only had 1 driver ever try me on and he didn't get the job done. I was loading 10 wheelers with a 988 loading shot rock feeding a crusher. A rock about the size of your fist went off the corner of my bucket, hit his cab protector and on to his hood. He came out of his cab and starter for the loader. I stopped and stood at the top of the ladder and told him when your head gets above the tank I am going to wear out this pair of White's on your XXXX face. That changed his mind. The truck broker was driving his truck in the string and when he came in I told him what happened, he reached behind his seat and handed me a cat bar and said you know what to do with this. Yep. He told all the drivers that night to stay in their trucks or get run off.

  64. #64D5G2009-07-14 23:35

    I dunno, most I see are just wannabe operators....:Banghead And the rental companies aren't usually too fond of them either, machine leaves nice clean, dent free...comes back looking like it came back from a steel recycler.

  65. #65CascadeScaper2009-07-15 00:03

    My trucks were enjoyable today. Lined them out in the morning, no issues. I think if operators would lose the attitude you can get along with most truck drivers. I will agree that some are out to get us, that doesn't sit with me very well, but if everyone shows up in the morning without an attitude one way or another, the day goes much smoother.

  66. #66qball2009-07-15 17:01

    I HAD AN IDIOT PULL UP BEHIND THE 980 ON THE RAMP TO THE CRUSHER! HE WANTED TO ASK A QUESTION!! IN A LANGUAGE I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH!!! i wish i could ban drivers like a mod bans a teenager

  67. #67special tool2009-07-15 18:51

    Dude - now you're just being picky.... Don't you have mirrors and 14 foreign-language dictionaries in the cab?? You gotta be prepared - no sympathy for you today...

  68. #68Turbo218352009-07-15 20:04

    Not an issue of being prepared or not, that area around the crusher is off limits to trucks for a reason. You have enough to deal with when charging a crusher, no need for added traffic in the area. Got my own driver story today. On site setting up to pour curbs tomorrow, by myself, but thats another story. Delivery driver from a depot of homes pulled on site. I told him not to turn around, i would back him out on the road. He had no weight left over his drives, and the stone material on site is a little on the boney side. Sure enough, spins the tires. He figures if he jams the lockers, he can go. Nope, buries all four tires. So I knew what was coming, already had a cable out of the truck and was on my way over with the backhoe. Told him this was going to cost him, he was more than happy to pay. I let him hook the cable, and was pulling the truck before he got back in the cab. Much easier that way, it takes the idiot out of the equation

  69. #69D5G2009-07-15 20:13

    We had a real clusterscrew on the pipe job today, two trucks from the same company on site at the same time, one getting loaded, one dropping off 304's. They about hit each other 10 different times, the site supt was having a fit (which seems to be a daily basis) it makes things interesting. And then last load of 304's comes in, laborer directing the truck driver, we were close to power lines,( I don't blame the driver for being careful, but jeez!) which the laborer was watching for him. That wasn't good enough, he'd raise the bed 3 inches, get out and look and go 3 more. Needless to say, laborer wasn't happy and he tied the laborer up for a half hour just for one load of stone......ahh....it s a wonder anything gets done on this job.

  70. #70JDOFMEMI2009-07-15 20:16

    Q-ball I love the one about the rock in front of the truck. I have chased trucks accross the site with a full bucket when they left early. One guy got away, so I stopped the next truck and explained to him that the next truck to leave without a full load and ALL of them were getting replaced. That motivated them. Many years ago, while running a 980C loading belly dumps, the ones with 2 short trailers, I had one driver out of 17 that would pull under the bucket, then as I was about to dump, he would pull up another 1/2 trailer length. Other times, he would pull under then stop 1/2 length too soon. After about 4 or 5 times of trying to explain it to him, I quit being nice. I seen him coming so I got a huge load of nice wet material I had saved for him, and i waited back a good ways untill he decided where to stop, then THREW the whole load into his lead trailer. It rocked him so hard his truck came off the ground. The next driver would not pull up for me, but got out and came to see what happened. I explained to him why I did it, and told him I would load him as nicely as I had been all day. When the newly educated driver came back, he was able to park directly under my bucket, and so could all the rest of them. On another job, another operator was spreading fill with a 988 loader in a narrow spot on a levee. There was a spotter who would send the trucks up one at a time, as there was only room for one on the fill, and each load needed spread before there was room to dump another. One truck drove past the spotter, up the ramp, and got creamed by the 988 wide open in second reverse. It destroyed the truck. I wish I could find the pictures. It broke the frame in 3 places, and even broke the engine block. As proof God sometimes watches out for idiots, the driver was uninjured. A good truck spread makes an operators day nice. Too bad there are not more of them around. We do get some good ones though.

  71. #71td25c2009-07-15 22:43

    qball,I have alot of experience helping truck drivers with the wrecker.Truck drivers deal with job site issues as well as equipment operators and they get to fight the traffic on the busy highways,so my hat is off to all the truck drivers for a job well done.Now for a good truck driver story.My buddy called me and said his truck engine had a miss in it and it would only miss when they were driving the truck.It was a fertilizer truck and I told him to bring it by the shop and I would take a look at it.Well,I checked all the fuel lines & fittings for leaks,Then I went to check the drop tube in the fuel tank and I noticed that there was only about 6 inches of fuel in the tank and it was the long style bullet tank so when they were on a hill or if they hit the brakes the fuel went to the front of the tank and the injector pump got a gulp of air making it miss.So I put some fuel in the tank to fix problem and called my buddy and reminded him to put fuel in the truck to keep it from having an engine miss.Dang! truckdrivers,we cant live with them and we cant live whithout them.Thats a true story Q.

  72. #72willie592009-07-15 22:51

    25c...that is pretty bad when you have to remind the truck driver to put fuel in it! That's funny.

  73. #73OCR2009-07-16 01:55

    I walk in every body's shoes... guess that's why my feet hurt... lol Haul Road: ​ Spot truck: ​ Load: ​ OCR

  74. #74OCR2009-07-16 02:25

    Then, I have to dump... by myself: And then spread. But it is kinda fun... for a while... OCR...

  75. #75Bully2009-07-16 06:08

    I saw something yesterday that blew my mind. 8 yes eight, count them, 18 wheel drivers made a pile of refuse right in the middle of our plant. Wouldn't be so bad if they had got that stuff close to the 5 STORY HIGH pile of refuse. Or dumped it across the face of the pile. This stuff bisects the crushing plant in a straight line, and chokes off access to the K-1 and K-2 stackers. It is already a tight squeeze over there. Heres the best part..... They even had a spotter.

  76. #76willie592009-07-16 20:11

    Looks like ya got it under control OCR...nice work!

  77. #77Turbo218352009-07-16 21:12

    Dont knock the landscapers, they do important things like plant trees, and hydro seed fire hydrants. Not only do they make our finish grades look more better, but they also dump their mulch, black dirt, and trees right in the middle of where we need to work. They can move mountains with their little dump trucks, skid steers, and tractors. Not to mention, place big rocks, and run underground piping "sprinkler systems" They are great with their pipe work, you should see them put in their pipe in a fine graded parking lot that is ready for hot rock. They leave it looking exactly they way it looked when they showed up

  78. #78willie592009-07-16 21:17

    :lmao:falldownlaugh:laugh

  79. #79JDOFMEMI2009-07-17 00:31

    :falldownlaugh I fell out of my chair at this part. :Banghead

  80. #80OCR2009-07-17 01:46

    Well, thank you ATCOEQUIP, always nice to get a compliment from a frie....... ... hey!... wait a minute here, you working that scotch angle on me too?? OCR...

  81. #81Finish Blademan2009-07-17 18:40

    Bwahhahahahahahah that is priceless.. Anyone ever want to see water run backwards of its intended flow? or a lake in a flowerbed??? Just hand a landscaper a grade rod and watch them work their magic. Or a planter that doesnt grow flowers but sure makes a purty place for rats to live in all that mulch? The same folks who forgot to put sleeves in who dig a trench through your base when you are not there and ready to prime it ,after you leave they remember the pipe dig a trench then backfill it with topsoil:Banghead... Yes they are a special breed unto themselves and who cant love their skidsteers turning perpetual circles on base you have bluetopped and are awaiting paving.They are a special species of operator unknownst to those of us normal species of knuckle dragging peons who they leave their little piles of purty foo foo rocks and sandy loam upon our finished products. It is always a treat to be called at 5:00 pm by a prime truck driver saying ,"I cant prime cause you left these piles on the parking lot". As your blood pressure reaches 180 over 140, remember,they are your friends who finish out a site,sometimes earlier than you hoped for:beatsme. Hand a landscaper a grade rod and a set of keys to a machine.... about like telling a truck driver to perform brain surgery....

  82. #82JDOFMEMI2009-07-17 19:12

    Blademan That was priceless. I will still be laughing about that one next week. You also have to love when they trench behind the curb and let their spoils run out on the freshly rolled base coat of AC while you are waiting to put the cap on it.......

  83. #83qball2009-07-17 19:28

    and i thought i was the only person who got worked up over little things like that.

  84. #84Finish Blademan2009-07-17 20:21

    Yep,you are right.. My laborers just love using their shovels to clean up topsoil off of curbs they have edged already. They all run up to my truck when its a 103 degrees and tell me,"Would you thank the dirt dobbers for allowing us to shovel their mess off of the curbs again as the sweat rolls down the crack of my back". I always stop to tell them,"I`m sure the flower children with their rakes and skidsteers were glad to give you the opportunity to clean the curb again". I have often wondered why I seen my laborers running across a parking lot swinging shovels at a landscapers looking like they were running the 440 meter dash across a jobsite. I`m sure it was only to say,"Thanks for all you do for us dirt guys",

  85. #85stock2009-07-18 05:54

    Amen to that brother!!

  86. #86ronnie2009-07-19 09:51

    oh no its not only you for me it's truck drivers,landscapers,plumbers,THE POWER COMPANY who never compacts a ditch back in a parking lot just roll it with the tire or will leave a pole in your way until you get mad and leave it on a ant hill all by it's self then want to come move it (do you rekon you can fix us a road up to that pole ) when they had flat ground to work off of a week ago or the yhave a truck that lifts 60 to 80'and the ystill want a road your better off to just dig the damn thing up and listen to them ask you was that pole in your way:beatsme i need to shutup before i get :ban

  87. #87jmac2009-07-19 16:39

    stupid can happen to anyone I am an owner operator and have loaded trucks and driven trucks. I can tell you that I have been on jobs being loaded by another company and was charging by the hour for my truck that the operators can be just as frustrating as the truck divers. The operator should do a few things if he wants the truck drivers to make his life easier. Hold a full bucket in the air were he wants the truck to back in, beep once when he wants you to stop, beep twice when he wants you to leave, place the material in the box, not drop, and keep area level were the truck has to back in. Many times none of these little things that the operators can do happen. A story from about a month ago that will amaze you how stupid this operator was. It was the last load of the day after 10 hours of non stop driving, very hot out and no AC so a long day to say the least. The operator gets out of his excavator and walks up to my truck and says "ok all done for the day" he signs my ticket and walks away. I put the truck in first gear and take off, my truck stops dead, front wheels come off the ground, my head hits the windshield, and my ears are ringing from the impact and noise. Can anyone tell me what this wonderful "operator" did? He forgot to take his bucket out of my truck! It just about ripped my tailgate off, bent the crap out of it! Stupid comes in all sizes, this guy was the owners son. The kid says “ It wasn’t on purpose” ya think! After further inspection I notice that on my blind side of the truck he dropped more material on the truck than in the truck. I was sure to tell the owner of the excavator about the incident, he happens to be a very good friend, this winter they will be fixing my tailgate.

  88. #88D5G2009-07-20 00:57

    I will tell you right now, no good operator that knows what they are doing leaves the bucket in the bed, EVER. Not that it can't happen, because it did. That kid shouldn't have left the bucket in the truck, I will give you that. The other thing that gets me is WHEN the operator has a full bucket over the area where he wants the truck, and the driver can position his truck ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE but where he is supposed to. I agree stupid comes in all forms, and 90%+ could be avoided in most cases if people just payed attention.

  89. #89jmac2009-07-20 20:04

    I believe that a lot more guys are high from pot during work than you think, some of these guys just can't be that brain dead.

  90. #90D5G2009-07-21 00:18

    maybe high; maybe distracted and want to be somewhere else, still isn't a valid excuse to me.

  91. #91liebherr11602009-07-22 17:56

    I love landscaper's ..they tell you to be somewhere in the winter months and then go snowplowing forgetting your there ...gettin paid I am ... What gets my blood going though is "why do they put the material 10 feet clear of the crane when i gotta bail it out 100":beatsme why do they tell you to sit your truck mount where the Gradall is after they get it unstuck?:beatsme Why do they insist on wanting to use a 3/8 choker on a 5 ton slab?:Banghead Why do they always want the crane on the softest ,newest, muddiest part of a site that's mostly virgin ? Why do they always tell me which way they want a rock to point ? Why do I always have to teach the same guys the same handsignals?:deadhorse Why are their eyes always red .. Why do they sweat so profusely when there's ..Hey a 90 ton crane sitting here! Why are they always late ...and the hair messed up ..and the hands are dirty ..its not even 7 in the morning yet .. Crane goes up and down !!.....Tugger goes side to side!!.. No its not illegal to sit the crane here ..but i am required to be able to get the outrigger's on something other than i dunno AIR Its "ONLY" lightning !!!! ...:Banghead I don't need to put a few more parts of line in to get it out further!!!:badidea Why do they put the load where the crane is going to sit? answer usually "because that's where we thought you would put the crane .." You started at 8 ..Its 2 o'clock ..they said the crane carries a 4 hour minimum why are we being billed 6 hours :Banghead You gotta put counter weight on ?...Again? ..Didn't ya see what was going on last time?..:Banghead No wonder we drink..:drinkup

  92. #92aongheas.macask2009-07-22 19:06

    Field Mechanics Gripes (tongue in cheek) This is some of the things I have encountered during forty years of field service from mechanic to manager, hope I dont upset anyone as I love all thing concerned in earthmoving,operators, machines, owners, site bosses etc etc. You arrive on site and as your getting out of your vehicle and before you even look at the machine the foreman asks how long is this going to take. You ask the operator what the problem is and he says "its hard to explain but it doesnt feel right!!!. You get told to be on site for 0600hrs cos its its got a really serious problem then get told you will have to wait untill lunchtime as the machine cant be stopped. You always get asked by the operator two questions, how much does this machine cost and how much does this machine weigh. Someone on the site has always operated the very first model that was made or delivered from the factory When you need assistance you always get the labourer guy who cant operate machines. When there are two identical machines on site one always pushes better,has a better sounding engine, has more power, is faster, quieter, better on fuel Air con never works properly faults which get reported at 2000hrs have been there since the machine was new, they were definately reported by somebody with no name to someone else with no name Field mechanics have keys which can open locks for add ons from third parties or can recognise them from thousands lying in a site office drawer Laptops can rectify any problem on any machine operators always want hyd pressures checked especially if they have been on bigger machine Warning lights and buzzers are a major distraction when operating a machine nobody understands the symbols anyway and the operators manual is usually in the car,office or at home Loading shovels should always have the biggest bucket fitted regardless of material

  93. #93qball2009-07-22 22:39

    wow, even the street sweeper guy was brain dead today. how do you high-center a sweeper! i need to drink!

  94. #94RonG2009-07-23 05:05

    Did you ever meet anybody who hasn't run a D8? I swear over the years every guy that you ever talk to,no matter what he does for a living now says "I used to run a dozer when I was young" and they all say it was a D8.Ron G

  95. #95aongheas.macask2009-07-23 16:59

    Hey Ron thats very true,wonder who ran the small ones?. Also when the news comes on telly to show a big demolition job or major disaster they always say the "bulldozers" have moved in, then immediately show an excavator, loading shovel or crane

  96. #96liebherr11602009-07-23 21:16

    I over heard some Boiler Maker's that had just arrived outta Fort Mac (oil sands) ...they were commenting on how much smaller the Cat D12's were in Ontario...Off course they were looking at D9's

  97. #97qball2009-07-26 14:11

    the guy on the hoe is trying to kill me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pHJXgub2I4

  98. #98CascadeScaper2009-07-26 14:42

    Nobody to talk to?! Get yourself a CB so you can chat with the truck drivers. haha. The wheel dozer I run off and on at work has a CB in it so for kicks I turn it on every once in a while to listen in on the BS that comes out of their mouths. Pretty hilarious, I don't think they have any idea that somebody else might have a CB and could be listening in on what they're saying. You gotta love 980's though, wheel dozer I run is an 824C, so basically the same thing with a blade attached to the front.

  99. #99qball2009-07-28 20:15

    today was hell got gang-banged with trucks. hauling grindings to a huge golf course to make trails. the company drivers are worse than the non-english speaking brokers. this guy killed his truck on the only way in or out, so i had to push him to my personal service truck. his battery box broke breaking his ground. i welded it up. problem solved. or so i thought. company suck-a@@ driver called it in. i got a call from the office warning me not to double dip.:Banghead :Banghead:bash ointhead i was speechless. screw it. i am gonna exact revenge on him tomorrow. he will haul on site for 10 hrs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1SboYP07Q

  100. #100td25c2009-07-28 20:41

    The important thing qball is that you got the truck fixed & back on the road.And You got to run a miller welder today as well.Why would your office give you a warning for speeding up progress?You made the rite call Q.Good job.One question,what is double dipping on the job?

  101. #101qball2009-07-28 20:46

    these idiots thought i was running a mobile repair shop. they thought i was charging. not one dime.

  102. #102Finish Blademan2009-07-28 21:00

    ahh qball, ya gotta love truck drivers that tear up stuff and the pansies that sit in the office all day and complain about how long it takes to get a parking lot ready to pave..but the only time they ever seen it was on a set of prints in the office....and the ones that gotta have someone to mess with.ie- you for fixing the dumb***es truck for him so he could keep production going...

  103. #103Steve Frazier2009-07-28 21:13

    Sorry guys, but plotting revenge against coworkers is crossing the line on these forums. Thread closed