Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

A64 project

B&B ยท 2026-07-25 19:45

I recently got a Ford A64 wheel loader and am in the process of bringing it back to be a reliable functioning machine. It's had the engine swapped out for a 12v cummins and the driveline seems strong but the center pins are pretty worn and the rear axle pivots are very worn. It was in use daily until about a year before I got it and only sat due to not being needed for the time.

Replies3
  1. #1B&B2026-07-25 19:49

    First off was getting some bad leaks fixed so I could park it and not worry about leaving stains everywhere, I found the axle disconnect shaft worn and the seal leaking pretty badly, one of the brake lines in the rear had been cut and just folded over and was weeping, the hydraulic filter housing was leaking, and there was a slow accumulation in the loader control valve area. I repaired the brake line, had a new axle disconnect pin made and installed that with a new seal, currently waiting to fix the linkage for it as it was severely worn, was able to clean and check the valve body and I believe it was only a loose fitting, and replaced the hydraulic filter and found a new o ring for the housing and it appears to have stopped the major leaks for now.

  2. #2B&B2026-07-25 19:52

    Also on the to do list is rewire the machine, right now only the temp gauge works and it starts by turning the key on and jumping the starter. Once thats done its time to jack up the rear and start getting the axle pivots figured out, the rear plate and bearing is about to fall out and the front isnt far behind

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-07-25 23:02

    Looks like a nice engine swap job.