Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

AC question

cuttin edge · 2024-07-09 21:00

Our 740 Volvo grader. It has the coldest air conditioning of anything I have ever sat in, car, truck, machine, house..... It has started squealing the belt. The belt is not lose, and at an idle, it will run all day. But at working RPM, it will suddenly start squealing. Turn the switch off and it stops. Flip it back on without decelerating, and it works fine for a few, and starts again. When it happens, the pump pully locks up, and the belt slips around the fuel pump from where it is driven. I stopped running it today ( the AC ) as I didn't want to cause any damage in case something lets go.

Replies13
  1. #1reganj2024-07-09 21:14

    What are the low and high pressures with AC off, on at idle, on at RPM??

  2. #2Birken Vogt2024-07-09 21:24

    I had a Ford truck that was doing the same thing, it was the compressor starting to lock up. I suppose it could be the discharge pressure extremely high, maybe. Condenser clogged up?

  3. #3chidog2024-07-09 22:24

    You need to check the pressures. Has it ever had major work done to it?

  4. #4cuttin edge2024-07-10 21:23

    It's a 2011. Around 5200 hours on it. Never been touched or charged. They will have an AC guy look at it some evening. We don't do any of our own AC work. I just like to pick the collective knowledge of the group. People don't realize how much information can be gathered on this site when you know what to ask, and I always appreciate any shared knowledge.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-07-11 00:27

    All of the above. Also have had the desiccant bag come apart and block the tx valve before. Could also be worn belts or tensioner failure. 5000 hrs seams to be around the failure point for a lot of components.

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-07-11 02:25

    I'm sure glad the AC in my F150 was working good today. I was running a tractor with a cab but no AC today. I had the doors flipped open but I think the glass still increases the heat and the drivetrain certainly gets hot. 36.2C tying a record. I had to stop after about 3 1/2 hours because I think I was close to heat stroke. My eyes were stinging from sweat. I had lots of Gatoraide but the AC in the truck was sure nice. I picked up a Slurppy on the way home too. I'm taking a break tomorrow. I was out yesterday too and both days on the weekend. I'm already really fatigued from the cancer treatments but working in this heat is beyond brutal. I'll probably need a week or two to recover.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2024-07-11 09:25

    Dave, don’t kill yourself, we need the entertainment, Vtech hasn’t been coming through lately. lol

  8. #8Zewnten2024-07-13 09:19

    Id guess over charged. Either with refrigerant, someone topped it off, or too much oil with the right weight of refrigerant.

  9. #9funwithfuel2024-07-13 11:24

    Check the condenser, clean it and verify that there's good air flow when the belt squeals. Look at the belt itself, probably glazed over real good. Replace the belt if it feels slick or has cracks. Be realistic with belt tension. I don't know why, people feel if tight is good , banjo tight is better.

  10. #10mg23612024-07-14 06:06

    He'll be back soon. He is on a time out.

  11. #11Mike L2024-07-14 11:22

    Was his vacation related to a picture that didn’t stick around very long?

  12. #12enginerd2024-07-14 23:50

    Y’all have air conditioning? Lol

  13. #13mg23612024-07-15 05:08

    Yep