Hi just looking for some opinions I’ve bought recently a fluke 325 clamp meter which has all functions as voltage, resistance and continuity But still in two minds weather I should of gotten a actuall multimeter instead any opinions would help greatly
Both have their purpose. The 325 is a handy tool. It does not have all the features of a Fluke 87V DVOM. But, if you really needed an 87V, you would have one by now. So, don’t worry about it and get familiar with your 325. Good purchase.
I've got a fluke 88, it's my go to every time. The only exception is volatile environment. Then it's my 28 only cuz it's IS . I have an Ideal branded clamp on ammeter similar to your fluke. Wish I had the fluke. I think you will be well served by that tool.
What industry are you in? What sort of work are you doing with the meter? Honestly most basic troubleshooting is going to come down to volts and continuity (Ohms). The 325 has that. More advanced things like mA and mVs the 325 won't do.
That Fluke 88. Wow. I’ve had many discussions with Fluke marketing and product development about that meter. They have been pushing that product to students as an automotive meter. It’s not a true Rms meter. Many automotive specs are in true RMS. Almost every OEM recommends the 87V. Except Ford, and only some divisions. Their argument is, but you are working on 12v DC, who care about RMS. No, we work on a lot of ac circuits. Ok then, drop the price a couple hundo. But, the 88 has a thermometer. We put a thermometer on it,….. sorry, not buying it. Not dissing your 88. Just a Fluke rant. lol
It's all good. I had an 86 for almost 20 years, this last leakin-ass truck soaked my meter, the company bought the 88 series V.
You will be fine with what you have and you can use it for industrial maintenance also.
Hi thanks for the reply greatly appreciated, mainly working with pavers rollers back hoes and things so mainly DC with three phase on the pavers upto 440v
Any of your machinery have CAN (or any other flavour TBH) datalinks on it.? If so you'll probably be wanting to invest in a scope sooner rather than later.
You will be fine for most tasks. I purchased a fluke 325 a couple of months ago. I don’t think ive used my DMM since. The clamp is great for a third hand to hold it. Measuring hertz is a bit funny. I had to clamp the active wire between the to ends to get an accurate reading. I also have to zero the amp meter to get accurate readings. When yiu first switch it to dc, it will have a random reading. But compareing to to my DMM the current draw is spot on. The other thing that i forget is to change to dc. Default setting is ac. (Trying to work out why there is no current) its when you need to measure Ma or F you will need you DMM. The best tool i have for electrical diagnostic is a test light with a 5watt bulb.
This…… TBH an assortment of test lamps (as a sparky once told me - “lamps glow, bulbs grow”) that can put a load of anything up to 5A on a wire are invaluable for diagnostic purposes.
I just got a small scope meter finally for under a hundred bucks. I only have tested it on 120 volt line voltage so far but it's on my truck now. It seemed like in the past they were way too expensive. My daily meter is a Fluke 115. I bought it used like 10 years ago and still going strong. I also have a Fluke 381 amp clamp. I do a lot of high current AC but it also does DC and sometimes it is handy for diagnosing starters. I also have a BK 316 clamp meter. It does very small clamp DC measurements which is very handy in lots of places. It will also do fairly large measurements as long as the jaws close which is handy for cramped spaces.
The Fluke 325 should handle most jobs you encounter. I have the Fluke 115. Does 90% of what I need. The rest is handled by my PICO 2204A scope.
Cheers everyone for the responses still in two minds weather to keep the 325 or send it back and get the 115
Honestly i would keep it. Buy a cheap multi meter to use. Save up then buy the 115.
Just a quick one can anyone clarify how low of a amperage it will detect (325) it says 40.00/400.00 but not sure if that will be upto 40.00 mA and 400.00 A
.1 amp dc is the lowest I’ve measured. I dont think it can measure Ma.
That will do me cheers
I've been using the same meter since 2000 that I got at Walmart for $10, it doesn't quite read right but it works.
I really like the 115. For a value-line option they are very solid and reliable. Just the right size. But, jeez. The price has skyrocketed. A lot of automotive and diesel college training programs recommend them as a student meter. You can often pick them up at pawn shops in any college town for good prices. The students get their financial aid, purchase their required tools, and the Fluke is the first to get hawked for liquor money.
Out of interest, measuring a key off drain today showed 0.04amp. Still happy with my 325. Thinking i should hit fluke up for commission.
turns out the clamp meter is about spot on. 255v dc at 13amp solar system.
Used my Fluke 87-5 yesterday to check my quad for parasitic load sucking down the battery. With the test lead in the 10 amp outlet it read 0.001, so hard to know if any draw. Changed the test lead to the maximum 440ma plug and suddenly there it was. 1.26ma continuous which is not much, but the battery is about 1/5 the size of my car battery. So after sitting 2 months with no charge the battery is down to 12.2 volts from 12.6 volts. Now I know what was discharging it. My fluke 23-3 multimeter would not record low enough. Sometimes an expensive meter can make the difference, but a Fluke 325 Clamp is a good unit. I have a 337 clamp since 2001 and still is good. Simon C