Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

acme diesel generator

chrisdvorak ยท 2020-07-21 13:00

had this old generator given to me, got the engine running (seized plungers in injection pumps) but can't seem to make it generate any power. its a Chicago electric 1665 10kw alternator. when fielded the unit will make short bursts of power but when full fielded the engine stalls. I don't know if this points to a voltage regulator issue or the alternator itself. unfortunately the engine and alternator has been discontinued so original parts are impossible to find.. any input is appreciated

Replies3
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2020-07-21 22:14

    Pull the rear cover of the alternator, separate the leads and ohm them between each other and ground. It will tell you if there's a major short. Excitation voltage loading the engine down points to alternator issues, there's no reason it should "load up" from that unless it's trying to motor.

  2. #2Delmer2020-07-22 08:18

    Is it blowing some black or at least dark smoke when it stalls? you could easily have engine issues going on still, even though it runs smooth, it might not have the power, because it's not getting enough fuel.

  3. #3chrisdvorak2020-07-23 07:23

    both great points, I think my initial test to power field was done incorrectly as I powered 12vDC directly to one of the 120v outlets while running and this caused the alternator to try to motor. I pulled the end cover off yesterday and put 12vDC to the main capacitor and it started generating power (at least enough to run a drill) Ive got some capacitors on order now.