Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding 3rd/Aux valve to Cat 950F

Kmans · 2021-03-31 00:26

Hello everyone, new to posting to the forum but have been a long time lurker. Anyways, we are looking at adding on a third/auxiliary valve onto a 1994 Cat 950F. To get to the point, my questions about doing this are: 1. Is there a kit available to purchase for it, or would I have to go through parts to buy the items I would need?; and if so, what would I need to purchase? 2. Will there be any heavy lifting involved that will require a lifting device? I hope to have another person helping me but depending on when I get to it I may be by myself. 3. Is there any info on the SIS about installing the valve? I have been looking around but haven't seem to have found anything with much usefulness, although I'm sure there is I'm just not looking in the right place. Thank you guys for your help! To add some info about the machine if you are searching and looking, it is a 1994 model series 2 machine, Product ID# 8TK01217.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2021-03-31 12:14

    I don't have answers to all your questions yet but here is some information to be going on with. 1. There is no kit available under a single Part Number. Even if there was it is highly unliukely it would be available for a 30-year-old machine and even if it was available the price would probably make you want to sit down in a hurry. Breakers are probably going to be the best place to find majority of the parts. 2. The 3-section main control valve in total weighs 95kg, the existing 2-section valve weighs 59kg. So even if it's possible to convert one to the other without removing the valve you should still plan on having to lift a max of around 35kg into what's probably a quite awkward spot. I wouldn't fancy attempting it on my own. 3. No information available that I can see regarding doing the conversion. It'll be all down to comparing the Parts list for one arrangement vs the Parts List for the other and working out how everything fits together. That is do-able, it'll just take me a bit of time to round up all the information. Attached is an instruction for a 3rd valve installation on a 950G just to give you an idea of how much work is involved. However remember that the G model hydraulic system is significantly different from your F-model machine so it should only be used as a general indication.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2021-03-31 14:25

    4E8598 is what it looks like you need don't look like you can add a valve to the 2 control one

  3. #3Nige2021-03-31 14:41

    I have a list from TMI of what’s needed to convert the 4E-6819 2-section valve to the 4E-8598 3-section. I’ll have to take a closer look at it. At first sight I thought it was possible to add the 3rd section to an existing valve but I would stand corrected on that.

  4. #4Dave Neubert2021-03-31 14:54

    I looked again and it does seem like you can add a valve it shows the aux valve listed separate 4t2745 and it looks like it is split on the 3 section valve

  5. #5Nige2021-03-31 15:01

    The other things I came across (without digging too much into the details) were:- 1. Pilot control & lines. No idea if a section can be added to the pilot valve or if a whole new valve is required. 2. Accessory hard lines down the inside of the lift arm and the hoses to connect them to the control valve. As an aside I hope the brackets to support the hard lines are already installed on the lift arm, because finding the Part Numbers for the welded bosses might be a a bit of a challenge.....

  6. #6Nige2021-03-31 16:20

    Here are the Parts Listings for the two main control valves.

  7. #7Kmans2021-04-01 00:04

    Thanks for the info guys! It does appear that the 3rd valve should bolt onto the existing main control valve with some longer bolts and a couple extra seals? I'll have to go look and see about the mounting brackets on the loader arms, I believe they might be already installed but I could be wrong. I priced out the valve (4T-2745) and I can still get it, but it will cost $4500. I've also been searching around if there was possibly any wreckers that have a machine that has the Aux. valve but no luck so far. If I can scramble up the parts then I will have to make sure someone else is around to give me a hand, otherwise I'm sure I'll regret it. I'm also curious as to what I would have to purchase in order to connect the valve into the cab? I'd assume that it would be a similar setup as to how the other valves are? I'll have to do more digging on what hoses will be required to plumb the valve in, but I would also be taking a shot in the dark on how the hoses need to be routed.

  8. #8Nige2021-04-01 11:45

    For the 3rd valve you could look on Machinery Trader. I got no hits on 4T-2745 but there were a number of both 4E-8598 & 6E-3737 listed. It might be more economic for you to buy a complete used 3-section control valve and then sell your existing 2-section valve to recover some of the cost. The 3rd function hydraulics is part of the 9U-4773 Hydraulic Arrangement. it appears as though you have access to SIS so try this: - Instead of your complete Serial Number just put in 8TK which is your S/N prefix. Search for 9U-4773. you should come up with the list below. All the groups are hyperlinked so you can see what each one consists of.

  9. #9Nige2021-04-01 12:15

    So here's a summary of what you will need apart from the main control valve changes that have already been outlined: - 1. Pilot control valve goes from a 2-section 6E-5019 (part of 9U-0510 Pilot controls) to a 3-section 6E-5020 (part of 9U-1434 pilot controls). Basically add a section to the existing valve. 2. Add 3rd function pilot lines 9U-3360. See attachment. 3. Add Front Hyd lines 8R-3547. See attachment.

  10. #10Kmans2021-04-03 11:43

    Thanks for the info Nige! I think that should about cover everything I should need.

  11. #11Nige2021-04-03 13:26

    No worries. If you need anything else feel free to ask. By the time you add up the cost of all the parts (even using 2nd hand or rebuilds) it's not going to be cheap.