Hello All! I am trying to figure out how to install a hydraulic thumb on my backhoe. It is a 2004 John Deere 310G with extendable stick. I have auxiliary hydraulics already plumbed on it with a switch on the dash to activate the aux function and the clamshell type foot pedal installed to run the aux attachment. I have followed the auxiliary hydraulic lines and one goes back to the tank and the other one is attached to the pump or control valve with the rest of the lines that operate the backhoe. Im not sure of the terminology ha ha its probably not a pump or control valve. The questions I have, have to do with the hydraulic side of the installation. I have found many nice Thumbs online and foot controls but very little info on how to plumb or re route the hydraulics to control the thumb. Do I need to install another foot control like the one that powers the extendable stick? Do I need to re-route the hydraulic lines? Has anyone out there installed one of these before or possibly has the same machine that I do and knows way more about how this would be done? Any assistance would be awesome and greatly appreciated! Thank you! Chris
Do you have 2 unused hydraulic lines attached to the backhoe boom/stick?
Yes i have two unused lines on the boom stick. One goes back to the tank I believe and one goes back to the control valve where the rest of the lines that control the other backhoe functions are attached
Your machine is plumbed for a hammer with one line back to tank and one supply line to the valve. You won't be able to run a thumb with this because you need flow in 2 directions through the valve to operate the thumb. You might be able to modify the lines you have but the rest of the aux system probably won't do you much good. If you know someone that works on heavy equipment or hydraulics they might be able to help. Hopefully someone on the forum has the same setup and could help more.
Look into the mechanical thumbs like the Hoe Clamp. Instead of another pedal or lever, you curl the bucket to grab something. You can get that installed for somewhere around $2K or there about. My neighbor has a 2000 310 with the extendahoe and a hydraulic thumb; he paid about $5k just for the thumb installed.
Thanks for the replies you guys! Im hoping somebody will see this that has experience modifying the lines. Or has the same set up. Im sure im not the only guy wanting to put a hydraulic thumb on his 310 ha ha. I did hear that it may be possible by re-routing the hose that goes to the tank but im not entirely sure how that would work. Anyone out there that has been able to do this? Thanks again!
It is possible to install diverter valves on the extenda hoe circuit and utilize the existing foot pedal to control the thumb. Kit here http://www.equipmentland.com/produc...aulic-for-Extendable-Thumb-AMI%2dHydDKit.html I have been on a 410g set up this way and it works very well.
Awesome! That sounds like just what I had in mind. Thank you for the information LT-x7. I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge on my post. Ill check it out.
I to have a 2007 JD 410g it has 2 lines running off the stick for aux I installed a thumb on mine but am having trouble even gettig it to work . I am pretty sure the lines on the stick will work I dont think its plumbed like yours. At least I hope not cause then my plumbing is for a jackhammer to (how can I find out ).But I flip the switch on the dash to go to aux and the foot pedal only will operate the ext-a-stik it's not controlling the aux at all no matter what position the switch is in I do t have a green light on the switch so I'm thinking there isn't any power coming through. I'm also sure on of the lines goes to the pressure side of ram and the other one goes to return on the ram I am still not sure what hose goes where on the ram . Help !! . I think my first step is to make sure I got power to the switch.. sorry I'm going off on my own problem here but I wanted to share my issue with about what ur doing as well . Anyone with ideas on my problem would be greatly appreciated thanks Mark
I would put a couple electric valves on the stick before I started rerouting/re purposing return lines with no way to control bleed pressure you will need with a thumb.
I guess I need to find out if the lines on the stick both go to the same place or one onto the valve box and one to tank ? My luck its plumbed fo a hammer . Thank you for the reply
Welcome to HEF Mark ! If you are trying to use the auxiliary lines that are on the backhoe, they are most likely for a hammer. They will not work for a hydraulic thumb. How about a serial number. With a serial number I might be able to see what options the machine came with. Most likely you will need to add a bunch of stuff to work a hydraulic thumb.
Your John Deere might be different than my 580sm. I was going to put a thumb on mine until i found out the pin that holds the bucket on also holds the thumb on. I change buckets sometimes and Im sure lining this up wouldnt be fun. Changed my mind on getting one. Would like a mini excavator with thumb but their crazy expensive i found out ,but still looking.
There are many hydraulic thumbs available that will fit you 580. They are welded to the boom. Plumbing is a quite chore to install for one.
They have pin on ones i see but you cant weld to my boom.
Yes, I forgot you have one of Case's infamous (Do Not Weld) ductile iron booms.
Hello mh2361 thank you for the welcome and writing back. Here is the serial #off the tractor. TO410GX956987 I'm thinking ur right about the lines after reading up on theses posts. I guess I can just try and make it a manual thumb with a bracket instead of the ram . What a waste of money though should have research more before I bought this. Hopefully not a complete waste. I'm sending you a couple pics so u can see what I'm doing. Thank u very much for the help Mark
I guess it all depends on how much more you want to spend? and exactly how you want it to operate? Myself I would get a couple double acting electric valves with pressure reliefs... these will be probably around 2-4 hundred plus you'll need some short lines and fittings add in another hundred or so then you'll have to run wires and put a rocker switch(or two separate switches) wherever you want it. Since you already have the pressure feed line out there for the hammer/plate and it's return you won't need to mess with any of the hoes valving. There are a few other cheaper things you could do with just a crossover relief the thumb would clamp like you have it now just flip hammer switch and it extends but then the thumb would use the bucket pushing on it to retract... if you know what I mean.
Hello thank you Ronsii for the reply very interesting info for sure ! I have invested about 950.00 or so so far so it wouldn't hurt to put a bit more into it with switches .electric valves or crossover well I'm new to anything tractor and understand what ur saying but dont have the foggiest idea how to ever start or where to by switch or crossover . Can u direct me to tutorial or vids or instructions on how to do this ? So sorry for all the questions but like I say I'm new to all this thought it would be a pretty simple task ! thank you Mark
I would find someone more knowledgeable on hydraulics than me for the specific valves, it won't need big valves because of the use and size of your thumb cylinder.. this should keep things maybe cheaper than my guess but like most things I tend to underestimate costs
Chris, this is a good write up of how to install the hydraulics. It's a little tractor, but still the same result. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/125912-custom-hydraulic-backhoe-thumb.html Joe H
Your machine by the pictures is plumbed for a hammer (one way flow). It most likely was installed by a dealer since it is not on the original build sheet. I would follow the advice of some the other posters since Deere parts to complete the install would be quite expensive.
Hey mg2361 thanks for checking that for me ! I do know a guy here that's quite knowledgeable on this kinda stuff I will ask him if its something he might know about . Looked on line for the additional parts prob spend 500.00 more but maybe not that much. Would I need 2 electric switch valves or just 1 ? Thank u everyone for the info Mark
All I can tell you is for the Deere setup it would be a control valve section, foot pedal and linkage and lines that will run out to the thumb. Very expensive. Deere does not offer electric solenoids for that machine. To go that route you would be designing your own system.
Mg. Thank you very much for all ur time and info. This is a live and learn situation for me I should have done my research before all the investment . I think I'm just gona turn it into a manual thumb and rack it up as a learning lesson. Thanks again for everyone's input. Great place to find out info!!
It's been great reading all this info. My 310 has this valve for hammer and I was hoping to use it, guess not? Damn. 2 spare lines on boom, one goes here. Other back into system. I may go manual for now. I did like idea of using hammer switch on dash to close thumb, and bucket to retract. But how does it hold pressure to grasp something then release pressure? Would there be a second switch/valve? Thanks for all the info I found here, thanks for getting it going Mark
Yep, you'd have to plumb in at least one more valve that's why I would go with the electric solenoids for the valving and you can feed them with the hammer circuit...easiest to install without changing anything much in the machine - just add a couple switches