Since the little rollback is going to be in the shop for a while until i get the ECU back (I've pretty muched narrowed it down i think ) i figured it would be a good time to add another axle.... heres my idea. the truck is equipped with juice brakes and a good hydraulic system and i am a touch over axle weights with the little 933C on it, (only about 1500lbs over) I have been looking for a hydraulic lift axle but cant seem to find one so i'll probably end up building or adapting something but i hate to waste a $2k steerable air pusher just to chop it up and use hydraulics to apply it etc. I am thinking of just building a hinge bolted to the frame sides and apply weight with hydraulics, i know it wont take up the suspension travel without accumulators and etc. but how about if I use a 10k torsion axle with electric brakes and use a plain old trailer brake controller ? anybody see any reason it wont work? the truck is only a 32k gvw truck im not sure if the DOT would give me problems or not ?? my main concern is to keep it out under CDL for my class E drivers but would doing this throw it into a CDL required truck bracket ? I dont see it being a big deal on the fabrication nor the CDL thing but spring is rapidly approaching and we still have a lot of stuff to run through the shop so if i can get it done in a week i will do it otherwise i'll scrap the idea and put it on the "maybe someday" list I have seen a lot of 3-4 car hauler rollbacks sporting a little pusher axle most are FL70 or FL80's and more than likely have wet brakes as well but i cant seem to locate one anywhere local does anybody know of one setting around? I dont mind paying a little shipping if it'll save me some fab time.. pj
you would have one hell of a time getting it DOT approved
how would it be any different than adding one to a dump truck ? we do it to class 8 trucks all the time pj
If i was going to do it i would get a pickups 3/4 rear axle and use the hubs to make a axle. I would take the 300.00 that i saved on a axle and by some air bags and a 12v aircompresser then you would have something. Trailer axles are to mickey mouse.
Around MD a lift axle is not good unless it is cetified and pressure set according to scales and axle rating and the pressure controls must be outside of the cab. If you are not carrying the certificate you weight ticket is figured on the original axles. Any thing over 25999 gvw puts us over and requires a cdl. Good luck getting DOT to certify a home made axle I am sure it would work but not mean much if you are over loaded and in a accident. What type of certification do you need on dump trucks with lift axles?
no cert as far as i know on lift axles on dumps, up until a couple of years ago (could still be there, look for a red western star) Heil had one of my trucks in their literature and one of their installers are the ones that built the truck..... it was a used steerable and im sure it wasnt certified ..... i have no idea what you even mean by certified, I wont put anything other than a DOT axle under it if thats what you mean ? I am thinking like a 10K Dexter oilbath axle like under a 20k tagalong or a gooseneck ? am I all messed up on my thinking ? pj
There are 2 locations in the state that are able to set the air pressure and check the weight the axle is carying and certify it and if you don't have the copy with you the axle does not count. Our tri axle dumps can carry 70000# and the lift has to carry 13200# a tandem can carry 55000 so if your axle is not certified your weight ticket starts at 55000#. I had to get my Peterbilt that came from the factory with the lift axle certified.
What state? Ive been full DOT'd multiple times on the side of the road in a quad and have never heard of this. PJ Ive got an air compressor off a 3126 if you need air. Lol. Too bad I sold the ECM. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Maryland if they can figure out how to get some $ they will. Some times you get stopped they never ask for it next time it is the first thing they want.
Merryland from here http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-098.pdf
How 'bout here? http://springvalleymfg.com/products/light_trailors/tr80.php But, it says "trailer"?
I might have to do something like that where does it attach, at the accessory drive ?? and Yeah too bad you sold the ECM damnit! lol That's what i'm after, would have to have air, also need something with a driveshaft loop or maybe the 4" drop will be enough I will have to measure 06PETE. I thought Missouri was a DOT bitch i can imagine MD if that's the case lol. we get hassled by the DOT all the time and have never had them complain about the certified axles, on a spring truck it would be tough to certify exaclty what they are carrying i dont even see how it could be done without a loadgauge as air PSI gauges are only accurate to a point. With all of that being said I will call monday and ask but i am not too awful concerned to be honest. MO is such a PITA that I have had haulers bring my loads as close as state lines and I have to bring them the rest of the way in because they are scared to death of missouri DOT pj
I always thought that MO was about the easyest as far as DOT. If you want to go to a bad place go to IOWA with a truck with Mo plates. My dad buys rebuilders up in Des moines. Every time i go there i fill like a illegal alien in a stolen vehical. They dont like Mo trucks.I have saw grain haulers in Mo with car spindles pushers under there trailer.
Ya it goes on accessory drive. I'm guessing you have power steering pump there now which would bolt to the back of the compressor. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
That merryland rule says for 70,000lbs GVWR. The OP isn't in merryland, nor has anything that heavy. Not even relevant... At all!
It is relevant in two ways. A) to allow others to see how Maryland regulates triaxles & 2) to show that states can require an axle, like the OP desires, to be engineered and/ or certified by a licensed manufacturer.