Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Additions that you like that you have done to your service truck

still learn'n ยท 2015-02-13 22:59

I was wondering what you have done as far as additions or things that you really like on your service truck that has been a real help or time saver or is just plain nice! pics would be nice! Thanks

Replies21
  1. #1nowing752015-02-14 15:17

    Built the top box for longer items and stuf I don't need daily. Built in led lights. I also have one pointed inside the bed. Can't have enough lights.

  2. #2nowing752015-02-14 15:22

    Built 2 pull out drawers. It's good space but easy to loose stuff in there so I made the drawer and they slide on some uhmw I had laying around.

  3. #3Mike L2015-02-14 16:32

    I like that idea. Might have to build one for mine. How deep did you make it?

  4. #4nowing752015-02-14 23:21

    About 4feet. One on each side. Was looking at regular drawer slides but they are big money that long. I don't get in them very often so they work out prety well.

  5. #5DARO2015-02-15 21:39

    I like that idea. I'm gonna have to build some.

  6. #6still learn'n2015-02-15 22:38

    I would like some more storage and have thot of putting some more storage on top of compartments but I would have to put it so opened into the bed cause my compartments are tall enuf that I couldn't reach them from outside! That bumper drawer is a grand idea how hard does it slide or pull out?

  7. #7willie592015-02-15 22:58

    I live in the south and only have to deal with freezing temperatures for only a few months a year, but during the more "normal" months the 30 gal pressurized water tank that I fitted to my truck is a handy addition.

  8. #8still learn'n2015-02-15 23:27

    Willie is that tank aluminum or will you just have to replace it if it rusts?

  9. #9willie592015-02-15 23:30

    It's a vertical air tank, I coated the inside of it with epoxy paint before I installed it.

  10. #10Mike L2015-02-16 06:20

    Wasn't there a thread showing how you built that willie?

  11. #11willie592015-02-16 14:35

    Post #115 >

  12. #12nowing752015-02-16 15:11

    The top one opens up from inside the bed

  13. #13nowing752015-02-16 15:14

    The box under the crane will be for my welding reel and power reel. The box ontop of the fwd most cabinet is for torch reels and argon and 75-25.

  14. #14Mike L2015-02-16 17:33

    Nowing you should make a thread on all the stuff you've built for your truck. Impressive.

  15. #15nowing752015-02-16 18:26

    Thanks. I might do that. Still have a few more items I'm going to make.

  16. #16FSERVICE2015-02-16 22:44

    I like that box under the crane, that's the most wasted space on my truck. just really haven't had time to build it, was hoping to find 1 to buy haven't been that lucky either.. what did you use for the door prop? I guess with this 10" snow on the ground this week I might have some shop time to do a project or 2

  17. #17still learn'n2015-02-16 22:50

    Nowing that is some nice boxes but my truck is sitting at its 26,000gvw :Bangheadand not sure what it would look like after I added my lube cabinet that has been in storage and tanks and all yet to! plus all the the good ideas you have done to yours. I have thot even tho I don't do as much as some of you guys on here that it would be very handy to have 2 cranes on my truck. But then would pry have to get a truck the size of Tom V's!

  18. #18still learn'n2015-02-16 23:03

    Willie im trying to figure out how you get epoxy coated inside a tank care to explain?

  19. #19willie592015-02-16 23:10

    Well, first I gave it several "washings" with Naptha. Then I plugged all the holes and poured a good amount of epoxy paint in it. Plugged the hole I poured the paint in and started rolling the tank, over and over, to coat it inside good. Then stood it up on its end, removed the bottom plug and drained the excess epoxy.

  20. #20nowing752015-02-17 12:20

    I just use a napa gas spring for the doors.

  21. #21GFIVE2015-03-08 00:49

    Nice service rig. One idea I like is a dedicated area that gets cleaned out after each repair, making room for job specific items. It seems like I am always filling every nook and cranny with stuff that it makes it hard to find a place for the new parts that I am going out to replace.