Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mechanic tack welding (stick) in a hard blind or contorted position

fixou812 ยท 2015-02-13 09:37

This is a style (trick) I've seldom seen used. For instance one eighth inch seventy eighteen. You hold the rod "by the flux" ... like a pencil... half way down the rod. You should be able to burn the rod down a couple inch before your fingers Get too hot and have to stop. You will not get shocked unless your gloves are wet or damp.

Replies6
  1. #1fixou8122015-02-13 11:14

    Ps; don't hook up the ground clamp until I tell you to.... don't wanna burn my

  2. #2Scrub Puller2015-02-13 11:25

    Yair . . . fixou812 Yes mate, and every couple of inches you will have to adjust the bends in the stick to get in there . . . and probably reposition the mirror . . . the joys of pipe repair at an ammonia plant. (big grin) Cheers.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-02-13 20:19

    And don't forget to wear your suffocating leather hood with the small welding lens in it and crush your head into where you can see the mirror.

  4. #4fixou8122015-02-15 18:01

    Them's scary iron! I prefer burning glasses with a welding lens. I found this on YouTube thought it might get someone out of a bind sometime. YouTube ; Welding with jumper cables and a pair of batteries

  5. #5fixou8122015-02-15 18:05

    I'll bet you've been inside the pipe too Scrub! It's all good until you get stuck!

  6. #6Scrub Puller2015-02-15 22:30

    Yair . . . fixou812 Not so much mate. I have this thing called claustrophobia and boat fuel tanks are about as much as I can manage. Welding or grouting inside pipes is quite beyond me. Cheers.