I read somewhere that the flow to the dipperstick has 3 settings, I would like to adjust it down or at least explore how it works at the different settings. I have spent hours trying to find out how to do this but no luck. Does anyone here know how to make this adjustment?
if it ANT broke don't fix it!! KISS == keep sit simple simon
Nope, there are no dipperstick speed settings. Only settings for the auxiliaries.
Oh, my mistake then. I guess the reason I even looked into this is that when going side to side its kind of jerky, even when I barely engage the side movement. Is this normal for the 710J?
Swing is different. If you have the Accu-Swing option then there should be a setting in the monitor under settings. The Accu-Swing minimizes swing "wag" when you stop swinging. It does not change the speed of the swing. If you don't know if you have the option post a serial number and I can look it up.
T0710JX169400
grease/oil all linkage joints
Jerky swing is very typical of any backhoe with wear in the pins and bushings, maybe especially JD's? The problem is the backhoe is designed for powerful digging in the boom and stick, but not sideways, so it's easy to overload the boom and stick in side force. The designers usually compensate for this by using a smaller cylinder that won't overload the design, but that makes it faster than a large cylinder like the boom. If they reduce the circuit relief pressure, then the other functions will suffer whenever swing is activated as well. Maybe the settings have a way around that dilemma. But any slop added up in all those joints will still make it jerky.
You do not have the Accu-Swing option. It can be field installed however. I see you have pilot controls for the backhoe and not wobble sticks. You might want to check pilot pressure to make sure it is not too high. If all the other B/H functions are not jerky it is most likely OK. Deere's do get a lot of complaints of swing wag, swing slop, etc. Another complaint we see with the 710's is swing speed changes speed on its own for example when feathering the swing. There is a kit for that but I do not have a part number. Otherwise it's the nature of the beast.
orifices should be an easy fix that won't affect final force, just make it feel less powerful.
I would like to add the Accu-Swing feature. I was thinking about the orfices as well, If installed on the outlet side of the cylinder it will reduce the flow yet maintain the pressure. are there factory orfices?
If you don't have a lot of experience with a backhoe, you may want to hold off on the Accu-Swing until you get more used to using the machine as is. Not saying it's not a nice feature to have but you'll still need to spend a bunch of time in the seat to learn how to operate a backhoe proficiently. Then you might find you don't really need the Accu-Swing and can save your money.