Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice buying 12 ton tag

Duke · 2007-03-03 16:20

Can't afford and airbrake trailer and it would probably be more than I need since I'll only use it 15-20 times/year for short hauls between jobsites. I'm using it for a backhoe and a high reach. So I'm looking for an electric brake, 12 ton tag, tandem axle that has good value for the buck. :usa

Replies33
  1. #1Ford LT-90002007-03-03 19:55

    I would prolly try find a used tag trailer first you definatly want air brakes on the trailer especially with a single axle dump truck. Many contractors in my area are the same the trailer gets 4 times a month. Good Luck and hows the business going I haven't seen you on the net since the TDS site. How is the 7spd working in the truck was it a good swap ?

  2. #2Duke2007-03-03 21:21

    Fine thanks! how's it going for you? The truck is working/running great. The reason I don't want air is the expense. I don't have gladhands run to the rear and an airbraked trailer costs like $2,000 more. I just don't have the need for the world's best trailer, so I'm trying to find a good electric brake trailer for ocassional use. I guess if i found a good used air-brake trailer, i might consider it.

  3. #3jimmyjack2007-03-03 21:32

    if u find a good price on a air brake trailer ,u can just drain the air out of the trailers air tank and it will free wheel, ive done that before when i drove a truck without air to the back. i was used when all the other trucks were busy it worked not that safe but it worked :beatsme :my2c

  4. #4Ford LT-90002007-03-03 22:31

    If the truck isn't plumbed for a trailer that can be expensive. I can see why you want to find a electric braked trailer. I'am doing fine :yup Here is a 12 ton with electric brakes http://econolinetrailers.com/TrailerSpecSheet.asp?TrailerID=13

  5. #5Duke2007-03-03 22:56

    That's the only one I've looked at so far. :usa

  6. #6Ford LT-90002007-03-03 23:35

    I see they show a sale price on the fixed deck beaver tail trailer and it seems like a good deal. For the amount of use you say your going to put on a trailer the tilt deck or the beaver tail trailer would do you fine.

  7. #7JBL2007-03-03 23:36

    Here is a 15 ton. http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/cata...595c56f9e0cb1384a72ef3ad98538fee1aac5d7772df3

  8. #8Duke2007-03-04 08:32

    Thanks. That's nice, but probably too much for my budget.

  9. #9jmac2007-03-04 10:14

    Duke, I have the exact trailer you are looking for 1 year old 12 ton backhoe Pro by Econoline. I need a 20 ton. I am looking to get around 4k for mine.

  10. #10Duke2007-03-04 10:19

    Is it the tilt deck, or the ramp style trailer? Anything you don't like about it?

  11. #11jmac2007-03-04 13:44

    The ramp style. Nothing that I can think of. I can't use it to haul my 33k lb excavator so I need a 20 ton with air. I have used it to haul 20k machines and it does fine.

  12. #12Duke2007-03-04 14:54

    Check your PM's.

  13. #13CM19952007-03-04 15:15

    :my2c Hello everybody. Econoline in my opinion is not a good trailer. These trailers are made here in AL and I have a couple guys that work for me that worked at this plant. They use mobile home axles, wheels and tires on the smaller trailers. The neck and hitch of their trailers are cut and welded instead of formed from one piece. Overall the quality of materials reflects in the sales price. Their motto is quantity not quality - just get the trailers built and out the door. On the other hand, I have a Betterbuilt 25 ton tag that is a very well built trailer. They are also built in AL. My personal favorite is Trail King. They are pricey but I think they are the best. I have a 12k TK tag that is 10 years old and is still pulling nicely without a lot of maintenance. Sorry to get off topic. Check around on the prices to run air to the rear of the truck. I am currently looking for a used single axle to mount a flat bed dump and one used dealer I went to said they can run air and glad hands to the rear of the truck for $300.

  14. #14Duke2007-03-04 15:22

    Don't get me wrong, if I could find a nice used 12 or 15 ton airbraked trailer I would run air to the rear and buy it. Problem is, most trailers start to look beat after only 3 years if left outside. It's hard to find a good quality used trailer that doesn't need paint or repairs that make it cost more than a newer cheaper one. I wish I had more money to spend on one.....maybe used w/ air IS the way to go...... :beatsme

  15. #15jmac2007-03-04 16:16

    I would agree that Econoline is not the best trailer made, but at 6k brand new how bad can it be. I have had mine for one year and almost looks like it did the day I bought it. I have used it to haul 18k dozer and it has done fine. I have borrowed my friend’s Eager Beaver 40k and I can't tell any difference in the two as far as stability or braking with an 18k dozer on it. I would say that the trailer is worth $6k any day taking into consideration that others are at the same gvwr go $10k. I would think that the Econoline would last 10 to 15 years anyways. I guess it would depend on how long you want it to last. I have found out that as soon as I bought mine I needed a bigger trailer because I bought a bigger excavator. So after I buy a 40k tag this summer I will need a lowboy the next year. Another thing that I consider when buying a trailer is the trailer takes the most abuse of anything you use. No mater who makes it the paint will be all scratched and trailer will have rust on almost the day you drive it home from the dealer.

  16. #16CM19952007-03-04 16:32

    Well - you get what you pay for.

  17. #17thejdman042007-03-04 16:49

    I wouldnt drrive around w/no trailer brakes to many iditos on the road. If you have good trailer brakes eletric is fine, until the plug at the end of the truck get s a bit of corosion or one of the pins doesnt make contact. Im not a big fan of electric brakes, or hyd brakes, imo air should be used on everything including cars. I dont like ramp trailers AT ALL. The company I work for has some roll backs (like car wreckers), and you dont realize, how strong the parking brake isnt until you try holding it on a10% grade. Or when the wood deck is oil saturated, it rains, the water pushes the oil to the surface, now you have an oil slick. Ive had it where park pins brake when youg et off the machine and are chaining it down, as the machine rolls away. Tilt decks no matter what brand stink imo.

  18. #18thejdman042007-03-04 16:51

    Most used trailers I have ever seen are most of what new ones are.

  19. #19Countryboy2007-03-04 20:21

    Just get you a can of spray paint and touch up where needed. When I first bought my trailer it was a big deal for me when I got the "First Scratch". I repainted the whole side that day. After a couple more scratches though, painting half the trailer gets old quick. If you get some good paint, like Krylon, then it will last longer between touchups as far as fading goes.

  20. #20jmac2007-03-04 21:09

    Agree 100%, but when I need to purchase allot of other stuff and I have to consider every 1$ I spend; I wonder how bad do I need the best trailer. A trailer is not the most profitable piece of equipment you own. An extra $10k spent on something else makes more sense to me. Air brakes are great for loads over 25k lbs but if you are using a dump with a Jake like I do then electric is fine. My dump hauls 40k lbs in the dump box everyday with no extra braking but its own so electric trailer brakes (if they work) are fine for a 25k lb load or less with a 55k lb gvwr truck. Now if I want to haul a 35k to 40k lb trailer than I want air brakes for sure.

  21. #21Duke2007-03-04 21:41

    I'm actually thinking i might be better off with a 15 tonner. If I go 12 tons, that's 24,000 GVWR. The trailer itself weighs 6,000lbs. That leaves me with 18,000lbs max payload. I think the high reach weighs around 17-18,000lbs. Don't know what a CAT 416 4x4, cab EX-hoe weighs....must be close to 17,000-18,000lbs. Maybe a 15 ton would be better....... I gotta get my 9 ton sold first.

  22. #22Ford LT-90002007-03-04 21:50

    You have to keep in mind you don't want to overload your single axle you get too much weight hanging behind the rear axle it will push the truck around and seesaw on the rear axle. Single axles don't pull heavy tags very well unless you get a triaxle tag so the weight is on the trailer axles than on the tounge of the trailer.

  23. #23Duke2007-03-05 07:47

    Yes, I know. I don't see as many tri-axles around as I used to, but my single axle is real heavy (16,000 lbs) so I'm not too worried.

  24. #24cleanip2007-12-03 11:16

    12 ton trailer hi jmac do you still have that 12 ton trailer ,just bought a 19 K mini excavator ?

  25. #25Countryboy2007-12-03 18:46

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums cleanip! :drinkup

  26. #26jmac2007-12-08 17:49

    cleanip, still have it, still use it every day and still need a 20 ton tag.

  27. #27Nac2007-12-09 16:06

    Jmac there is a 2002 20 ton trailking tag for sale here in Norther NJ I think the guy wants 10,000 of BO I looked at it but think the 19' deck is to short for me.

  28. #28jmac2007-12-09 22:20

    Thanks NAC, if it was September or March I would look at it but all I am doing now is snow plowing so I would hate to spend the money this time of the year. If he still has it in Feb pm me his number. Won't be moving my 150 much, if at all, for a few months.

  29. #29danjohnson42007-12-17 18:01

    Winston Trailers I've had great luck with Winston Trailers. Very reasonable price and great reliability. It is tough to find both of those qualities in a trailer. If interested contact me @ [email protected] . I never had any luck with the Econoline trailers. I would shy away from them. They may be cheap but that is exactly what you get. I've always felt that a good trailer was a cheap insurance policy as I had one come apart going down the road with my very expensive equipment on it! Dan

  30. #30Countryboy2007-12-17 21:49

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums danjohnson4! :drinkup

  31. #31dragman11112008-03-26 00:04

    From my experience air is the only way to go.electric brakes will only work for a year or two.

  32. #32Countryboy2008-03-26 00:36

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums dragman1111! :drinkup

  33. #33kcarroll2008-08-13 09:08

    Call our guys at Kaufman Trailers 336-790-6880. We offer factory direct pricing, so we're kind of like a wal-mart of trailers. Here is our website. www.kaufmantrailers.com . We are introducing live online chat with a pre-sales specialist on the site as well. Good luck friend.