Picked up my new trailer last weekend. Big Tex 14GN 20+5. Has LED lighting, dual landing gear, pop up center on the beaver, optional dark red paint, breakaway system with battery charger, lockable chain storage. Parked the 98 ontop for fun. Last pic turned out rather dark for some reason.
Nice lookin trailer. :thumbsup Whats the specs on it?
Haa! Chevy owners! Show proof you have to haul em back to the yard and still deny it.:wink2 Nice looking trailer though.:thumbsup
excellent, dual landing gear is a good thing. thansk
Thanks for the comments. Trailer is rated for 14K lbs - it's weight of approx 4800lbs.. Have a look here for all the specs. http://www.bigtextrailers.com/pdf/14gn.pdf Dual landing gear was 1 of the items it HAD to have. Feel a little safer leaving a load on it with 2 versus 1 which would make it tippy if the load was heavier on one side.
good thinking. thansk
I am new to pulling this size trailer, I have an F250, V-10, crewcab, short bed and am looking at towing a 6600# mini excavator and a 8000# tractorw/bushog. Can't make up my mind whether a tilt or unit similar to yours is the way to go. I would only being pulling one machine at a time. My dilema is putting an excavator on a deckover, but I need 90" width to load my tractor. My vechicle has both gn and tag along hitches. any suggestions? Thank you.
Nice trailer. I recognize you from over at plowsite
Ithink the trailer would look better if all that white stuff wasn't in the picture
Considering the 8000# tractor and safety. I would only go with a GN. At 8000#+trailer weight you're probably going to need a CDL to be legal. Walking the the mini ex up ramps on to a deckover might be a little intimidating the first few times, I think once you got used to it you'll wonder why you even worried about it.
Why cdl? Appreciate your response, but not sure why I need CDL. Say trailer and cargo = 13,000 lbs and truck is 6,500. Total GCVW < 20,000lbs. GVWR rating for truck& trailer 25,500# Truck trailering rating = 14,500 Truck GCWR rating = 21,500 Neighbor on next farm has deckover gooseneck and I'm going to ask him if I can "practice" loading excavator before I shell out $$$. Working on some of these hillsides, I've come to respect working safely on slopes.
This may help "virtual" practice for loading:
Squizzy, Well after watching that I must say I shouldn't be such a "fraidy kat". I'm sure it's like most things in life --- anticipation is worse than the reality. Thanks for the link.
If I remember my weights right. You legaly need a CDL if your total GVWR is over 26,000# or your trailer being towed has a GVWR over 10,000#. You'd be fine on the total weight, but the heavy trailer is whats gonna get you. Double check with someone to see if I'm right or wrong.
When do I need a North Carolina CDL instead of my regular North Carolina Drivers License? A North Carolina CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . . 1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs. 2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. 3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation. 4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding. I think 2 above is the applicable provision.
Hey 06Bowtie, havent i seen you over at Diesel Place???
I'm betting you have :drinkup http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&f=194 Been there since just before getting my truck. If it wasn't for that site I'd be prob having more money in my pocket!!!
Dozerboy is from over there too, that site has caused me to spend funds in excess too . With out the truck i couldnt work, i am thinking of buying a second D-max when the funds allow.
Yeah I noticed dozerboy when I first came over here. It's interesting how you find people from other sites all over the place. Only thing better than having 1 d-max is 2!! Maybe in the future I will as well.
i'll add to this i got a dmax too and am over on dieselplace also
I used to worry about pulling my 12,000 lb GVW tilt-bed with my 2500 HD pickup because of the rule stated above (trailer over 10,000 GVW). Then I found a WSDOT website with this helpful form/questionnaire. http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlvehicles.html Brad
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Islandeddie! :drinkup