Hello, new to the forum. I found this forum from this post here , and It answered some of my questions, but I was looking for advice for transferring from Heavy Duty Truck to Heavy Equipment and, more specifically, Field Service. I'm currently an Apprentice Heavy Duty Engine Technician for a company that shall not be named (may or may not paint their engines red). I'm about 2 years into my Apprenticeship. At my specific shop, we don't offer any chassis work, engine-only. They also shifted the end of the apprenticeship training program from Hydraulics and Welding to Electric Vehicles. In addition to that, the shop is extremely slow and hours are being cut for the foreseeable future and lay-offs could be a possibility for this winter. I'm not sure what to do at the moment. I'm hoping to ride it out until I get my AS degree and Trade certificates in the middle of next year, but I'm not sure if that'll be possible. If I do happen to do it, I'm trying to figure out what options I have for making the transition to Heavy Equipment and Field. What can/should I do and what should I expect? and is it worth sticking it out for the "degree" (aka fancy title that means jack) or should I move on to somewhere I can actually learn from?
Most dealerships aren't going to send you to the field with no experience. The particular area of the country you live in will make a difference in job availability. Midwest can get you Ag as well as construction equipment jobs. Most dealerships are dying for good help, so I don't think you should have a problem finding work. You've gone this far in your apprenticeship, I'd hang with it until you get your certificates. They don't make a huge difference after you've been in the industry for 10 years, but they might help you get your foot in the door.
That's kind of what I expected. I don't mind working my way to a Field position after some time in a shop, and that's probably what I'll do. Construction and Ag are probably the two biggest industries here. Since I live in the Northern part of the People's Republic of Kalifornistan, we don't get much snowfall, and most of the area I live in doesn't get any.
If you're one of the better mechanics in the shop you may have a bit more priority for them to keep you. They may want to help you get your journeyman ticket. Sometimes shops will lay off the journeymen and keep apprentices because they are paid less. I've had it happen to me. I was a 3rd year and they kept the 1st years. It really pi$$ed me off because I did way more overtime when they were busy. I did get called back but didn't volunteer for overtime just to get laid off again.
The way things have been running for years now; even if you apply for a shop spot they will try to put you in a truck ASAP, experience or not.
Well, I'm sorry for your situation. I wouldn't wish Commifornistan on anyone. Talk to locals. Find the Operating engineers local in your area. Befriend those people. Get references and referrals to join the locals apprentice program. Yes, you're starting over. Yes, it feels like a step backwards, but it's an investment in your future. My local has one of the best training programs you can imagine. You can choose which direction you want, pulling levers or pulling wrenches. Spoiler, noone in the right mind wants to wrench. It's hard on your body. Tools are expensive. The environment is against you. The parts department is against you. Management is against you. You got it coming from all sides. But... and this is key, a company gets a hold of a good tech, they're reluctant to let him go. Keep your head straight, maintain a good work ethic, you'll go far. Or just far enough. It's up to you.
Our son went from import auto mechanic, directly into working on heavy equipment at a major Cat dealer. If you have the abilities and are willing to work, you should be able to hire on at one of the major equipment dealers. In my son's case, a local dealer hired him to do oil changes and other service type work in the field on clients machinery. After a year of that he was moved into their large engine rebuild dept., then moved on to other field mechanic positions from there. Apply a lot of places and list your related experience. Work hard if hired. You can make the change you desire.
The local Operating Engineers Union near me is one of the most difficult Unions to get into in the state and maybe even the country. They get several thousand applicants a year and have a 2 year waiting period for call backs to applicants. Your spot is also subject to your test scores and they have you take the ASVAB, which is about a 2 hour long test at least. I've done it before when I first got out of high school cause I wanted to run Heavy Equipment. I scored fairly well, but I never got a call back in the 2 year timespan. Pretty sure the only way to go that route without acing the test is by knowing someone. However, the local CAT franchise for my area is a unionized workforce that is represented by that same union. It seems like that might be best route for me. CAT also offers the ThinkBig program, but I'd prefer to avoid starting over if I can help it. If things don't work out here and I get laid off, I'll definitely jump on that program. I'm pretty much familiar with all the BS we have to deal with on a daily basis. I have several classmates from different branches around the country and I've had the shittiest one out of all of them. I could go on for days about all the BS we put up with but it's pointless. I've accepted that it's part of the trade. I'm kind of an idiot, because I don't like easy work or staying inside. Lol. I appreciate the advice, thank you.
Personally, I recommend going the Cat route if you’re so inclined to work on heavy equipment. I started off at the Tech Center as a night shift mechanic at Cummins, went to Deere as an Ag field service tech, then made the jump to Cat and started at the coal mine on night shift in a field truck. 9 years of that hell and I bought my own truck and deal with a heavy highway contractor on the daily for 2 years now. Of all the industry I’ve been involved with over the last 17 years, heavy equipment has been the one that stood when others fell, you’ve got to be willing to eat off of everyone’s plate because when one market is slowing, another is ramping up or at least maintaining. When the coal market dove, I switched to trash machines in the landfills, not a job you brag to your buddies about doing but no matter the economy condition, everyone throws sh*t away on the daily. Being in an industry that serves many markets is the key to staying busy during a downturn. That’s my .02, probably only worth about that much.
The garbage never stops. Whole lotta truth in that. Have you considered the "back door?" No. Not that one... Be a backdoor bandit. Get hired in at a shop that has what you want, they can sponsor you in to the union. Once your probationary period is over and you're no longer on permit, but a card holder, you can take advantage of the apprenticeship training in addition to learning while you're earning. Approach Cat, see if they need an entry level tech, maybe a porter or work in a wash bay. Anything that gets your foot in the door.
First there has to be food, then garbage. If you were located in the Northwest there isn't a Freightliner dealer that isn't hiring or PacCar for that matter. The Big Question everyone has to ask themselves--And health matters over money because you can't buy your health--{You want to work indoors on a concrete floor with heat and cooling through the seasons-OR-work in the dirt and elements which will really work you over and in short time. * There is a reason You don't see very many old guys working remote. I worked both and can tell you I wouldn't have made it 48 plus years had I stayed working in the dirt.
I will agree truck shop, field work is hard work and it’s definitely not for everyone. But I can relate with Slowtiming and his statement of not liking to be indoors. Some guys are just field guys and that’s all there is to it. There’s fewer and fewer every day that are willing to do the work in the conditions we do it in.
Really it boils down to how long you expect to do it. But I've always been of the mind if a company can afford D11's they can afford to pay labor rates of $250 an hour to the mechanic repairing it. Same with a $300,000 and up motorhome. The guy fixing it gets the money not the other way around.
Yeah, I work on Motorhomes, Highway Trucks, and some smaller Equipment like forklifts the most often and that's part of the reason I want to go to the field and do equipment. We have a Field Technician here who's been in the Field for over 40 years and employed at this company the entire time. Two other guys pushing their late 50s that have been here for over 10 years. But Heavy Truck and Heavy Equipment are two different ball games from what I can tell. From what I've heard it really boils down how you go about doing your job. If you're jumping off of trucks, yanking batteries, and tires and what not all with your body and slinky-ing yourself into tight spaces all the time you're gonna end up in poor shape. TheSe old timers just did it the smart way and used their crane or other tooling to make it easier on their body. Like I said before we don't get much snow unless you head up into the mountains, which is a possibility but probably not that often if I'm working on Earthmoving Equipment. Summers can get pretty spicy here but we don't have to deal with humidity as much as the folks towards the east so I can kick on a small portable fan and drink water. If one day I decide it isn't for me anymore, I'll just move back to the shop. I'm 21 years old tho, so I've got plenty of time to switch back or change my mind.
Reality is unfortunately different. For the complexity of the job I had as a heavy equipment mechanic and the knowledge I used with it I ought to have been working in a brand new shop with AC and heat, had a full selection of speciality tools, and been provided with all the support I need. The level of knowledge, particularly electrical and hydraulic, I needed not to mention being able to cope with a huge variety of products was extreme. It isn’t a stretch to compare that kind of specialized knowledge and skill with that of a doctor with the caveat of course no life at risk (usually!) Instead I worked in an old shop with everything breaking, it was a pile of crap, and we had nothing hardly in the way of special tooling (and what we had was often missing or broken). And we were often treated like we were cancer by other departments.
Story of my life brother. Lol
You're only 21 so have only had a very small taste of the BS yet to come. I'd gladly take less money for better working conditions and coworkers who weren't constantly trying to show me up or stab me in the back. Two people who get along and think on the same level can accomplish more in a day than 6 grumpy bastards who think it's a competition.
Do this. Its much better than trying to get into the apprenticeship program that has a two year wait list. Get hired by the CAT man, he'll get you in the union, and once you are journeyman, you can go wherever you want, or stay right with the CAT man.
I realize that-it's just the way I feel about it. My days have ended and the type of independent shops with it. Now it's corporate and people who work there are corporate soldiers.
ive been wrenching on const eq for almost 40 years, (machinist and welder before that.) ive spent most of my years as a field mechanic at the 5 dealers ive worked at. been at my current dealer since '98. field work is a tough job, have to know something about EVERTHING the "younguns" only see it as a "free ride" (company truck, that comes home with me). i work in all weather conditions, from bl 100F to -50F, rain, snow and mud i'm 65 years old, we have 2 other field guys that are in their mid 50's. i tpyically work 5 days a week, 45 hours average.
Well I worked 7 day weeks for the last twenty years of the 49, it's the last five after 40 plus that gets you, you can't cheat arthritis.
The damn cancer and stem cell transplant I'm sure aged me at least 10 years and then arthritis on top of that. Just doing the simplest stuff will have me aching for days.
Man, I'm having a good old time with these replies. I've had the run around with people telling me to avoid the industry, how hard and ****** the work is, and what it does to your body. I've seen it firsthand. Some guys are beaten to hell and barely able to walk. Much of that depends on how you work, but every time someone brings that up, my passion for this kind of work grows. I've come from a long line of tradesmen and military veterans. Nothing would make me happier than 40 or so years from now, when I'm *hopefully* retired, to know that I worked my ass off and was a damn good Mechanic/Technician, and I worked with my hands. I know I probably won't live to an old age, and my life expectancy is much shorter, but If It means I can do something that matters to me, there's nothing anyone can say that will stop me. We have two Technicians in my shop who are about the same age as you and have been working with the same company for the last 20+ years. You and the other tradesmen like you keep me going every day. I've got my toolbox one bay over from the Tech who's been here the longest. Around 25 years of working for this company alone and two or so years from retirement. Still rides dirt bikes and sports bikes. Extremely knowledgeable and respectful guy. I know he's not too happy to see me some days, but I pick his brain every chance I get and hope that I can be as knowledgeable as he is about these machines one day.
Yeah, well that's the way it is. If every person in this country and this new generation had the forethought to think, "Hmm, this work is really difficult, and there's a lot of risks involved, I just won't do it." This country would probably shut down in the next few decades, and we wouldn't have a pot to **** in. You can complain about corporate companies all you want, but I've been voting since the day I turned 18, and It hasn't changed a thing. This is the life we live, so instead of pouting about it and continuing to suffer, I'm going to make the most of it because It beats having nothing after working your ass off for 60+ years. The majority of these politicians and business owners only care about themselves and how they profit, but if being a corporate soldier means I get a dual-funded retirement, I'm paid a livable wage during an economic recession, my safety and health are prioritized, myself and my family are provided with medical benefits, and I'm provided with opportunities to expand my education and knowledge? Yeah, I think I know which option I'm going with. It's still total BS and we shouldn't have to deal with massive corporations that practically run the country, but unfortunately that's what we've come to.
Popcorn is ready, commercials are over and it’s finally time for our feature presentation. Truck shop takes the lead role in this film. Go easy on the boy, he hasn’t been beaten down by the establishment yet.
Not quite. If he wants to try construction equipment great, if he thinks he likes working field service great, if he thinks working for corporate monopolies would fit his life style great, if he thinks he would have more opportunities for advancement great.
I came here for advice about what I could expect and what I should do. I got that. I don't understand why It's difficult to believe in doing what's best for you and your career despite differing opinions. I haven't been anywhere or know anyone who isn't "beaten down by the establishment." If it isn't the company they complain about. It's the government taking too much money from their taxes for them to afford bills, retirement, medical benefits, etc... and using that money on policies they disagree with. All these unions that most of the guys here preach about are doing the same things the corporations are. Affirmative action, equal pay, and other left-leaning policies. Those same Unions contract you to work on or run equipment at corporate-ran job sites. Like it or not, almost everyone here is a "corporate soldier."
I can tell you one thing everyone else will agree on {Truck Shop is about as contrary as they get and about as far from corp as they get}.
I respect that, and people can have their own opinions. We share a difference in opinion. I think it's a hypocritical stance, but I bear no personal judgment towards you or anyone else who thinks that. Come to think of it.. how much of everything we have in our lives was supplied by a "corporate soldier"? Let's see... Where did you buy your car/Who manufactured it? Where do you fuel it up? Who supplies the fuel for the place you fuel up at? Where do you buy groceries? Who supplies those groceries? Who delivers those groceries? Who makes your favorite beer? Who made the equipment you work on every day? Who makes the tools you use to work on the equipment? Who makes your favorite coffee? Who makes the device you use to be on this forum? Who supplies you with the internet to use on this device? Who made the toilets you use every day? Who made your fridge? We do have a corporate economy, so It makes some sense.. but I might as well sell everything I own, live in a grass hut, and make flip-flops out of leaves because I wouldn't want to feed into the corporate establishment. Would I? Like I said before, It is what it is. I won't gripe about it and let it hinder my ability to succeed and get the things I want. To each their own.
The best thing us old guys can give you is the voice of experience. Don't take it lightly. You will live longer and healthier because of us. There are so many safer and easier ways to do things because of us. Be glad we're here to tell you how to save your body so you're not going to be hobbling around having trouble doing simple things like getting in a car or even getting out of a chair. There are a lot of people that sure wish they could go back and change things they did so they're not hunched over walking with a cane and taking pills like candy for the pain. I've worked with guys that want to work all the overtime they can so they can retire early. The problem is their bodies are so beat up at 55 they can't do the things they had planned to do in their 30's. My case is different because I got a cancer diagnosis out of the blue but if I would have spent 40 years doing heavy fabrication and contorting my body I'd probably be in a wheelchair today. You're still about as green as it gets. You can do the heavy hard work now but sometimes all it takes is trying to be in a hurry and twisting around to pick up that heavy part instead of grabbing a crane or getting a helper and you've got back problems for a lifetime that only get worse. You always need to think before doing and that comes from experience. You're young but don't think you're invincible it will get you in the end.
As a youngin I had so many dreams of the different jobs or careers I could have. What I discovered is when you work for someone else's business you have no choice what you get to do or how you do it. And the job or specific type of work you enjoyed, once your locked into that work at someones business you start hating what you love or loved. I have done many different sorts of jobs my whole life, yeah lived the rough heavy equipment field repair as well as operating. What I learned is find the easiest on the body type work there is that pays good. Turning a wrench for 40 years, or electrician pulling and fighting wires, will all make you miserable in your 70's. All I can say is I'm glad I don't wake up knowing I have to rush out and drop a belly pan, or remove a track frame. If it was a home project that is a different deal, I'd have a month or more to do it. Some of us old wrench twisters can at times barely hold on to one now at times. It is no fun working in any shop, if you work with goofs, been there done that. Some times a person can run into a jealousy thing where someone sets you up some how, have had that happen a few times. No guarantee all the other employees are your friends. I have only worked in 2 shops where everyone was very cool, and they were not mechanic jobs. Mechanic shops have the huge jealousy thing going on, they are afraid your going to take their jobs I guess, or the easy job they want.
I’d say in the end, if you keep your current level of determination and drive, you’ll do fine no matter what you decide to do. The longer you hang around here, the more you will learn and find out that there aren’t many keyboard warriors here. These guys have done the work and have the receipts to prove it. Take what each and everyone of them say and apply the piece of it that works for your life. I haven’t heard you mention a single thing about social media or video games so you’re already miles ahead of most in your generation. At the end of the day I think we’re all appreciative of another young able bodied person is willing to pick up the torch and keep on, so few are these days. Keep us posted on your journey and the very best of luck to you.
Lets see you started this thread asking for advise-your only what 21, two years in. Everyone on here is giving you their side/opinion of the business the job as it is. You write, talk as though you've lived a life time. * Asking for advise---I'm not going to tell you or anyone what they want to hear. But one thing I was able to do was get the reaction out of you I wanted. * I think it's a hypocritical stance, but I bear no personal judgement----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That's a contradiction of the worst kind.
Man I can sure relate to that one. Ugh..
The most important piece of advice I give our new guys is to have an exit plan when the body starts to break down. Some of the guys working into their 50s and 60s as mechanics are in OK shape but many wish they could just go ahead and die. Unfortunately many have worked themselves into a coffin corner of high pay they can’t give up for a different route and/or can’t adapt to something else