Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice needed on buying a skid steer at auction

jfp2673 ยท 2013-09-07 13:02

Does anyone have any advice on buying a 2 year old skid steer at an auction house? I have been looking at a few machines that have between 3 and 4 hundred hours on them. Is that a low enough hours on them to not have any problems? Does anyone have any experience with purchasing from Mcgrew equipment auction in PA? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2013-09-07 13:59

    In my opinion, if it's at an auction 0.0 hours is not too low to have serious problems. It's one thing to check out an old and tired machine and buy it cheap knowing that it's a crapshoot, but paying high dollar for something at an auction makes me extremely nervous. You better know what you're looking at or have a mechanic you trust right there.

  2. #2jfp26732013-09-07 14:02

    Thanks for the advice, the machine I am considering is a cat 246c with 368 hours. New prices on that machine are around 50 grand. Their price is 30 grand. Its so much money take a gamble on, I guess I am just hoping with that few hours on it that I wont end up putting a high dollar repair in it.

  3. #3jordann2013-09-07 18:53

    you should be fine any major problems on a new machine like that would have most likley being fixed under warrenty

  4. #4jordann2013-09-07 18:55

    thats what auctions are all about in australia a brand new 12 tonner is about $170 000 in the auctions you can pick them up brand new for about $80 000 - $90 000 its just insane money saving!!