I’d like some wisdom on bleeding air from the fuel system on my Case 580M series 1. Mine has the single fuel filter/separator with the Federal Mogul lift pump. The only manuals I have show the fuel systems for the earlier Cummins 4-390 or the later Ipeco engines. I ran it for about 10 hours week before last, but it wouldn’t start the following week. Can’t smell any diesel coming out of the exhaust. There was a two-day cold snap (12 degrees F) before the starting problem, so I figure it could be ice or paraffin. There was a little water in the filter bowl but none I could detect in the gallon I drained from the tank, but I replaced the canister and inline filters plus the fuel line anyway. On previous fuel filter replacements, I pressured up the tank with air from my big Quincy until fuel came out of the bleed on top of the filter base. I don’t have air in the barn, and I was told I could damage the lift pump by pressuring the tank anyway. Pushing the primer button on the lift pump does nothing. Any advice?
You have a couple banjo fitings that I can see in your pictures. There may be a filter in one of them. good to have spare washers for them in case one becomes a leaker after putting back on. If your fuel is not winter brand at this time of the year, could very well be slushed up. Simon C
We've had 50 degrees plus for the last several days so ice or wax shouldn't be an issue. Normally, I pressure up the tank and crack the bleed in the banjo fitting on the filter base until fuel without air comes out. Dealer said I should be able to bleed it with the primer button but I've never had any luck with that. Maybe my pump is worn but the old girl normally starts/runs great.
The wife said try the shop vac. Worked like a charm. I think filling the tank helped too.
So did you pressurize the tank with the shop vac or what other trick did you employ. Glad you got it going. Simon C
I filled the tank first and then used a portable shop vac to pressure the tank. The shop vac hose was a close fit for the tank fill, so it was easy to "seal" with a shop rag. Just to confirm, I was using it as a blower, not a vacuum lol. The shop vac is perfect for this as the volume is high but max pressure isn't enough to hurt anything.
You are 100% correct. High flow but probably 1psi only, but that will still push fuel through or more often helps push the air out when bleeding. Simon C