Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580e no fuel from injector pump

motochris · 2025-12-22 13:31

My 580e sat for a year and now is not getting fuel out of the injector pump. Its acting like the fuel shutoff is on or stuck. I put a brand new Delphi 7185-900W shutoff solenoid, no change. I hear it clicking when the key is turned on and have verified 12v. The pic shows where I'm getting fuel and where I'm not. Circle is getting fuel, X is not. I tried pressuring the tank, still nothing out of the injector pump. There's also a manual shutoff lever on top of the injection pump. Im pretty sure it have it in the "run" location (top of lever towards radiator), but have tried it in both settings and still no fuel. What's next?

Replies13
  1. #1alrman2025-12-22 17:11

    Have you tried giving it a sniff of ether?

  2. #2motochris2025-12-22 18:24

    Yea... it'll start but won't continue running.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-12-22 20:03

    Have u lifted the top cover and tried to free the metering valve.?? Look for videos on u tube.. BEFORE u attempt..

  4. #4motochris2025-12-22 21:01

    Nope, but I'll do that this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. Do you know what pump model i should search on YouTube?

  5. #5motochris2025-12-22 21:24

    Any clue on what model pump this is?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2025-12-23 08:11

    Top line is the mdl #.. Search DPA stuck MV..or DPA leaking throttle shaft..

  7. #7motochris2025-12-30 11:05

    Yea, the metering valve was definitely stuck. Metering valve was stuck in the "off' position, cutting off fuel to the injectors. If you decide to clean up something like this, maybe watch a couple YouTube videos first. Main things to note... there's a spring (seen in pic) that attaches to the the throttle and to the plate on the left. There are numerous holes it could go into, you have to take note where it was when you remove it. Also, there are three bolts that hold the metering valve assembly in the have locking tabs that need to be opened up before trying to remove the bolts. Everything cleaned up, new o-rings on the throttle and fuel cut-off shafts, new top gasket. I found it easier to connect the throttleshaft spring to the throttle shaft, THEN put the throttleshaft into the top cap due to the loader arms being in my way to get in there easily.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2025-12-30 11:38

    Nice write-up.. The 10k dollar question.. did it start.?? If not, the transfer pump piston is stuck and/or the pumping plungers in the head are stuck. BTW.. that “goo” on all the parts is old bio-fuel.. U have to get it out of the system.. meaning all lines and fuel tank and filters.. Good luck

  9. #9motochris2025-12-30 12:02

    Yes and no. It starts but seems to run out of fuel within 5-30 seconds. I haven't looked further into that yet. Last time I pulled the fuel outlet from the fuel tank to replace the lift pump, the fuel flow was very low. I blew air up the line and it got better but not what I thought it would be. Im going to try that again to see if I may have a blockage from the tank to the lift pump.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2025-12-30 12:51

    That sounds like a blockage in the fuel inlet side.. All those metal inlet lines are probably reduced inside by the bio goo.. I would also take the banjo bolts connecting the lines to the head out and clean them.. IDK what ur using to clean your parts but it looks to be doing a good job.. Personally I use Brake Clean in a spray can.. THATS the only thing I found that works..

  11. #11motochris2025-12-30 13:31

    Looks like it was the return line. Pulled it off the cap and blew it out and its currently running, hopefully it will continue. I'll still likely do as you said and work towards cleaning everything out. Its pretty nasty.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2025-12-30 13:35

    I actually had written it sounds like EITHER the inlet OR a return blockage and erased the “return” part.. just because I’d never had that happen to me before.. lol Glad u found it..

  13. #13motochris2025-12-30 21:29

    Still running!, actually cleared some brush and such on my property to verify all is working. Man... I'm pretty happy that the return line issue seems to be the end of it. All together... the tractor wouldn't start after sitting for a year or so...was running when parked. I put some ether into it and it started, so I knew it was a fuel supply issue. Started at the beginning and pulled the fuel line from the fuel tank to verify I had fuel from the tank... it barely dribbled out. I blew out the supply line with air pressure and got a decent amount of flow, next I pulled the fuel line out of the lift pump and was getting nothing out of the lift pump, so I replaced that. Once replaced I had fuel all the way into the injector pump but nothing out. Ordered a legit Delphi fuel solenoid, as the Chinese one that was there has never shut off.. so I always had to shut it down with the manual fuel shutoff. That didn't change anything, so I opened up the top of the injector pump to see if the metering valve was stuck, and it was. Cleaned all that up and got everything working smoothly. Put it back together and it STARTED! YAY, except it would only run for 5-30 seconds. Gave up for a day... went back and decided to try clearing out the return line with air pressure and a needle file... and it worked. Its currently running fine, though I keep waiting for something else to happen. Hopefully this helps the next person ... thanks for your guidance Mike!