Hello new to the forum and new to wanting a dozer. I've been reading and learning as much as possible but still know just enough to be dangerous. Have plenty of work for a dozer on a farm here in Iowa but do not have unlimited funds. I am looking at d5 96j, d6c. The d6 9u looks very good, wet clutch, hydro blade with tilt, decent undercarriage and direct electric start its half the money as the d5 and d6c is even higher. I will be doing very light tree work but mostly water ways, building pad, terrace repair, fence line cleaning etc. Thanks in advance for the help. Dave
Dont be afraid of that 9U. It will perform as well as the D5 but may prove more robust. Parts are still readily available.
D6 9u Thanks Tom for the response. Haven't checked back for a few days as did not seem anyone wanted to respond. Are you experienced with the 9U? I have been told from a friend that it is a lot of work to operate these old dozers. This concerns me as I do have a bad right arm, I can still do most things but I do need to consider this as a potential problem. Were the early ones different? I know this has hydraulic assist on the steering levers but wondering about operating procedures. I have not seen this unit in person since its 300 miles away. No reason to drive to look at it if its not something that will work. I like the price wondering about operating it. Dave
A D6C 10K is a very good dozer aswell. Later Bob
My dad and i had a D6 9u for about 20 years . It was the older model with pup start, manual shift and johnson bar clutch . I believe some later models were auto transmission and had hyd. assist steering . If it were me personally, i would hire a cat mechanic or somebody thats from the old school to go and inspect the machine. You would be wiser to spend a $1000.00 to hire someone and find out that its not worth the cash or has a serious issue rather than buying it yourself only to find out later that the dozer is junk . If it checks out ok you win both ways . Nothing wrong with a 9u if its not already shook or worn out .
I had one and I loved it. It was very easy to work on, robust, simple and reliable. The only reason I got rid of it was I got a 977H crawler loader and it does so much more that I didn't use the D6 anymore. As for running it, with your right arm you operate the blade and the gearshift, and possibly also the steering clutches, though I found that I used mostly my left hand to steer as my right hand was usually busy with the blade. Then the left hand has the clutch as well. The gearshift and blade levers are pretty light to move. The steering levers are hydraulically boosted too and move very easily. I would seriously consider a D6 9U myself if I had work for one. Good luck!
9U,D6B,D5,D6C all good machines, but they are all like us getting older. And they all need tlc. I think alot will depend on how tidy the tractor is,; and how clever you are at fixing machinery, that or you will need deep pockets if you have to pay someone to fix her everytime someting goes wrong. All 9us and D6Bs are gear drive. ps only ever came out on D5 and D6C.
Thanks for the replies. That is exactly what I was curious about is the operation of this old of machine. I believe this is a 5 speed with shuttle shift. Never been around shuttle shift so thinking the way that works is stop machine release clutch and move lever engage clutch, also this would work the same for ground speed shifts? I also assume minor steering is done with levers and brakes and levers are used for more aggressive turning. As far as working on it I will be doing that as I have been working as a mechanic all my life from gm dealerships to Local JD ag dealership to a small motorcycle shop of my own. I quit full time wrenching because of right elbow problems but still fix all my own farm equipment. Certainly will be a learning curve though. I have considered all makes such as fiat allis, case, deere and just the old allis chalmers but seems to me parts are a factor with most other than cat. Deere would be next but cost is a factor and sounds like hydro's are even more spendy than power shifts to fix.
Good to see youve got some spanner skills mate. You,ll be alright with the D6 everythings fairly simple, and youve got the basics for operating it. rest you,ll get with time and experience. Is 5F/4R. you will find 3rd will be fast enough for anything you,ll do, 1 and 2 will be your main working gears. Get some manuels for it, do all the necessary adjustments and oil changes and you,ll be fairly right. cheers merv
Well I want to thank everyone for commenting on the D6-9U but I drug my feet to long and its gone. Working out ok (maybe) as a buddy of mine is done on his land with his D6C 10K. More money but I know the dozer and even the owner before him so If he doesn't back out it should be mine. Dave
I have a D6,9U as well. an old girl but it goes well BUT the last few times I worked it seemed to get hot and the radiator got presurised and shot the water out. I have checked the engine oil and there is no sign of water so no blown head gasket I would say. The fan and fanbelt look to be both ok. What could be causing this problem I have with the old girl ? Any suggestions please
check for bubbles in the radiator if there are some in my experience its a head or head gasket. You might want to start a new post as you may get more and better responses. Dave
Yup, Usual candidates are head gasket problems, casting cracks, corrosion pin holes in a pc chamber.