Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu track adjuster

cropduster69 ยท 2012-11-03 07:31

1987 Komatsu D31E track adjuster, replaced all seals inside adjuster yet it continues to leak grease out of the front of cylinder. Any ideas as to why this is still leaking? I did notice when changing the seals, the shaft of the idler yoke had a little pitting (rust) which i dressed out. It was really small amount, but still............if this is the problem, can these shafts be re chromed or simply best to buy new?

Replies11
  1. #1JeremiahSr2012-11-03 13:59

    Is that a D31E-17? What is the dash? Most of them have a pison inside the canister that has 2 bushings and a seal. This is what adjusts the idler out. Not the shaft. #4 is the piston. It is threaded for either a 8, 10 or 12 mm long bolt. You can also fill it up with grease with the yoke out of it and after it falls out dig all the grease out of canister. I think the -16, -18's are the same. DO NOT remmobe any bolts out of #1 or #15 frame/plates. This holds the spring compressed. And that 20" spring extends to about 4 foot in a split second!

  2. #2cropduster692012-11-03 15:02

    yes, is a -18 and yes, when I replaced all seals, I had the piston out also. I changed ALL SEALS/PACKINGS from front to rear. and yes, I am well aware of what adjusts out the idler shaft, duh,

  3. #3JeremiahSr2012-11-03 16:19

    well in that case you should know the chrome on the yoke shadt has nothing to do with the sealing of grease....duh....you did something wrong in there or it wouldn't be leaking....duh....shouldn't critisize someone trying to help you bro.

  4. #4Multiracer2012-11-03 17:19

    "....shouldn't critisize someone trying to help you bro. " ...... Duh !

  5. #5SeaMac2012-11-03 17:26

    No, you really shouldn't criticize those here who actually do try to help. This forum is chock full of some extremely thoughtful and knowledgeable Tech's & Mech's, some of the best I am aware of. Considering the advice they offer is free and generally spot-on albeit with some differing flavors, it's not in a members best interest to disrespect them, they are under no obligation to reply in the first place.

  6. #6cropduster692012-11-03 18:07

    what a bunch of crybabies , all of you can kiss my white rebel ass.

  7. #7SeaMac2012-11-03 18:13

    This "cry baby" along with some other's will likely be seeing "banned" under your username in the near future should you insist on acting like an ass yourself. Just a thought, or could it be that you've been inhaling too much pesticide or fertilizer while dusting ye ole crops that has since affected good manners and better judgement? BTW Duster, since you've clearly come out "my white rebel ass" as a possible bigot or racist -neither of which will be tolerated in this forum- and I'm certain that statement does NOT make the Woman who carried you for 9 months proud, might I suggest another venue for your 'tude?

  8. #8mw852012-11-03 18:28

    You might have put the piston seal on wrong. What way did you face the cup of the seal? It needs to face the grease. If it was installed wrong the grease will just bypass the seal.

  9. #9Multiracer2012-11-03 18:30

    " might I suggest another venue for your 'tude?" Thanks Sea Mac... this place truly is invaluable for the few of us not in the repair trade. Thanks HEF forum. Ron

  10. #10CM19952012-11-03 23:18

    That's not the atmosphere nor the attitude We allow on HEF. Your time here is over.

  11. #11willie592012-11-03 23:26

    :exactly I'll second that CM1995.