Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3C wont start.. how does the fuel system work?

boomvan ยท 2012-11-03 18:55

Hello, I can't get my D3C to start today. Ran fine last week. Batteries are good, fuel tank is full, but no smoke out the exhaust. is there a run/shutoff solenoid somewhere that could cause it not to run? If not, how does the key switch control the engine? Its a 3204 engine. All my other equipment has an electric or manual shut off solenoid or valve or switch on the injection pump but I can't find one on this engine. Thanks for any help! Dean

Replies11
  1. #1D5GDevo2012-11-03 19:59

    I had a 1994 D4C series III and I believe it had a fuel shut off solenoid on the injection pump, had a single wire going to it. I had trouble with mine plugging up the line between the tank and the sediment bowl under the tank with rust, drained and cleaned the tank out cured my problem.. Hope this helped.

  2. #2kbeen2012-11-03 20:13

    hello boomvan the D3C with the 3204 engine does not show to use a fuel shutoff solenoid. the throttle lever when moved past low idle will break over a detent and that is fuel shut-off position in the fuel pump. if you have no black smoke at all you could have a stuck rack in the fuel pump which is what move the plungers and barrels and lets fuel into the pumps to inject into the cylinders. there is a small plate on the side of the pump you can take of and see the rack bar. crank engine over and see if the rack bar is moving horizontally. you can even move it with a screw driver if needed. if that all appears ok then i would check for fuel pressure coming from the little fuel transfer pump that is mounted on the side of the fuel injection pump. godd luck.

  3. #3OzDozer2012-11-04 08:24

    The 3204 in the D3C uses a sleeve metering fuel system, which is a totally different injection pump arrangement to the old-style Cat scroll fuel system that kbeen described. His advice/description doesn't apply to your injection pump. If you have a key switch on your tractor, that shuts the engine off, it is controlling an electric solenoid that is shutting off the fuel. You just need to trace the wiring back from the switch until you find the solenoid.

  4. #4PAcattech2012-11-04 09:45

    Sorry Oz Kbeen is right on 3204 in his d3c does not use sleve metering it uses the high pressure scroll system And there is a cover that you can take off the side of fuel injection where you can see the fuel rack. it has for bolts in it 7/16 heads. you can work it with a screw driver and see if it starts. but I would check your fuel supply to pump first . Maybe crack your fuel lines loose on pump t p see if its pumpig at all.

  5. #5Bob/Ont2012-11-04 10:22

    Take off the fuel return line,small one on top rear of pump and crank it over. Fuel should flow out, this line is to bleed air out of the pump. If you get a good flow then check fuel pressure at the 3/4" hex plug on top of pump. Should get 30 to 50 psi. They will run with 2 to 3 psi if the transfer pump check valves are bad. That said, if you have fuel, check pressure and then check that the fuel return line is clear back to the tank. If the return line is clogged the pump can get full of air and need lots of bleeding. Later Bob

  6. #6Old Magnet2012-11-04 10:25

    Better get the actual s/n before you all dig in........

  7. #7boomvan2012-11-04 18:08

    Wow, thank you everyone for all the responses! Turns out it was the fuel lift pump. Replaced the pump and cranked on it for a while and it started. I had a mechanic friend come over to help me work on it and understand this machine. I haven't had to do any work to it before. From what I understood from my buddy, the key only provides power to the starter, and the lights/horn/backup alarm, etc. There is no electric run solenoid. The engine is only turned off by the governor/speed hand lever. After reading the comments, I looked at the injection pump closer and it does have a few different covers/plates on them. There is one on the side near the injector fuel lines with 4 bolts, and there is a cover on the left end, towards rear of the engine, that has a 4 bolts holding it on. We didn't mess with those covers though. Again thanks for all the help!

  8. #8OzDozer2012-11-04 19:37

    O.K., good to hear you got it fixed. As OM says, a S/N is important, and at least a S/N prefix, so we know what we're talking about. The D3C was built from 1987 and was still being built in the late 1990's. According to my S/N index book, there were at least 18 different models of D3C, with 18 different S/N prefixes. I was under the impression that some D3C's had Scroll fuel systems, and some had sleeve metering fuel systems, but I didn't check every model setup last night - because it was late, it was raining heavily, and all my fiche manuals and fiche reader are in the garage out back. When you stated "key switch", it led me to understand you had a key-activated shutoff. The different fuel setups can vary enormously over a wide range of models over a long period of time.

  9. #9Bob/Ont2012-11-04 19:56

    Oz the 3204's in the D3's and other small Japanees machines originally had the Old Scroll/Compact system when they came out in the 70's while the sleeve metering were common. I have never seen a sleeve metering pump on a 3204 around here they switched straight over to the New Scroll and direct injection. Later Bob

  10. #10OzDozer2012-11-04 21:17

    O.K., Bob - thanks for the heads-up. I dunno how you remember all this stuff, I have trouble remembering where I put my car, nowadays!

  11. #11Bob/Ont2012-11-04 21:31

    Got that one covered Oz, my car doesn't run. You know Oz Never say Always, Never say Never. When we went from PC to DI we went from Sleeve Metering to New Scroll on the 3304/6 and 3406 engines. Then one day I noticed a D5 with a 3306 DI with Sleeve Metering Later Bob