Hello, I am 23 (24 in July), for the past 3 years i have been working in the building trade but just on domestic work like house extensions. Mainly labouring but have completed a 2 year bricklaying NVQ and also passed my CSCS health and saflty test. I have never operated any machines, but never had the chance to because of the work i have been doing. Just 5 mins on a small bobcat one time. I know i really want to make it as a plant operator, always been interested in them ever since i was a kid (ask anyone who knows me). I know i have the drive and enthusiasm to get there. I am hoping there are a few UK plant operators on theses boards because thats where i am from but any advice is great :usa I have been looking into taking the CPCS course for the 180 machines and 360 machines above 10 tons. The cost of doing theses 2 course togeather is just over £3000 ! (£1400 +vat each) Would doing one of theses courses help me ? been ringing round local companies and no one seems interested in taking a newbie on Just looking for advice on how best to start out ? Looking to strat on a backhoe (JCB 3cx) this the best place to start then build up to the bigger tracked excavators. Thanks Ben
Hey Ben, If the course is just too expensive and out of question I will suggest this. You are going to have to start out as a laborer initially. Thats how I started and from lurking on this board for awhile it seems like many others did as well. Show up every morning early for work without a hangover and be rested and ready to go. Hook up with the equipment operators and asked lots of questions, assist in doing maintenance on the equipment if they will let you and learn everything you can about all the machinery. Your interest will get passed up the chain of command eventually. As time goes ,there will always be days that an operator will need a couple hours off here and there or they will be short an operator for a short period of time. Never pass up a chance to get in the seat. Learning to operate will come with time in the seat, but getting really good and being productive takes many hours. You need time on the ground as a laborer working around equipment just to learn what the machines are capable of and the many issues that arise in excavation work. I started at a small paving company as a laborer and within probably 4-6 months I got to run a small rubber tire loader, box-blade and bobcat skid steer for a couple hours here and there. Eventually, the boss would put me on the bobcat, rubber tire loader, and roller for full days. Just my two cents. Good Luck
Ben, Bobcatrg is on the money. There are a number of threads asking the same question on this forum. Try searching and looking through the forums, I'm sure you will find a lot of information.
Thanks for the advice lads. I think i might end up doing the CPCS course, well one of them to get me started. Only thing that worries me is doing the course passing and not getting a job because of lack of experiance Will go check out them other posts. Another question i need to ask if regarding how much you can earn operating these machines ? looking around job web sites in the UK seems between £11 to £14 per hour for the tracked 360 machines. Does that seem about right ?
Best of luck! Hi Ben, nice to hear you have real passion for the job as you are going to need it!! Seriously though i understand your plight, as I too came into Plant at the age of 21 from a standing start, but had much experience of agricultural equipment that helped. I dived straight in along with my best mate, and borrowed the money for a 10 day course at JCB on a Backhoe. Honestly I still use the checks and practices they drummed into me every day I work a machine, and it also shows in my work. I walked into Backhoe job for a Contractor after 4 weeks of looking, and told him a load of Sh#t about my previous experience. That is when the fun really starts!! You will fare better as you are used to a Site enviroment and some of the terms and practices used, I was in the Deep end!! You will need broad shoulders on your journey through to the other side, but it will reward you with much experience and many moments of laughter!
Ben, I will go along with everything else that has been posted. You are about right, on the money, less for a newbie IF you can find a seat. I will be very very suprised if you can get a start after taking the course. Dont get me wrong, the course is a must as you have no previous experience, just dont do the course thinking it will get you a job. It wont I suggest you put yourself amongst the groundworkers on site and get the general feel of their attitude. You will know what I mean when you find one that is responsive to your questions and enthusiasm and not full of ****. I think your best route is through the ground floor as previously advised. Get yourself on the ground around plant and you may get a chance to get on it. Eyes and ears open at all times its suprising what you can learn from seeing plant working ( not all good either :Banghead ) Dont think there is money as an operator, there isnt. We do it for a number of reasons and I assure you non of them are because of the earnings :Banghead All that said, I wish you the very best of luck, if you really want to operate plant you will find away. The industry here is short of good operators and they aren't born on a batter ( though some think they were ) If you dont have a CPCS card ( done the course ) you will not get on plant on a big site. You may well still get to (play) with a small operation as a labourer and I would look at getting that experience first to aid you in your journey. :drinkup
I'd go along with what Rob has said. You need to get that CPCS card but that's not going to get you a job! The best route is to get a job on a groundworks firm on the ground, but make them fully aware that you want to be a machine operator. I'm repeating Rob, but watching how machines work and how experienced operators do things is a great way to learn. Moving levers is the easy bit, it's how you work the machine that makes you a good operator. You're about right with the wages, but don't expect anywhere near that with no experience. I started out on backhoes the same as many others and a good backhoe operator is a very experienced operator. Times are changing though and as it's so expensive to get your ticket and backhoes are dying out a bit on sites, I think it'd be a good idea to go for just the 360 course. Most firms now are using smaller 360 excavators instead of backhoes on building sites. Get your 360 CPCS card and get a job on a groundworks company and take every chance you get to get on a machine. Watch the good operators and keep away from the bad ones
Try This Ben I was only being light hearted earlier Ben, but let's get a bit more serious with some real ideas for you. The reason for me saying this is that I am currently starting running up a 'Pup' of my own, in the form of my 18 year old Nephew. He has no real 'seat' time of his own apart from the usual playing on a mini digger etc. He is fairly mechanically minded and handy with the spanners though, which can be a bonus. However he has no real Site experience which you have already got. The route I have chosen for him, is to get his CSCS card for an Articulated Dump Truck first. This is purely for the reason that if you can't operate one of these fairly competently after a few days then look at another career! This will enable me to get him out on site gaining experience of the environment and watching other operators. I am really looking to get him onto a Dozer or 360 from there by the same way I learned, getting in the seat during breaks or swapping with bored operators. If you look after your truck really well and drive sensibly, ask intelegent questions about the work and genuinely seem interested then most operators will be happy to pass on their skills. As for your initial card, contact your nearest Operator Training School and tell them your plight. Most will have an arrangement with a Skills programme or College to promote new skills within your area. I have lined my Nephew up with a programme specifically for our area, and he will have all his training paid for. It is in the schools interest to find you funds and get you on a course. If you need actual numbers etc, I will be happy to do anything I can for you.
Thanks for all the advice lads its all good ! Guess i need to start ringing round local ground works firms and seeing if there taking anyone on. Already sent in a letter and app form for a local plant hire firm http://www.sinbadplant.co.uk/ explaining what i want etc just waiting to hear from them. Would be good if i could get some sort of funding to help pay for the CPCS course, £1400+vat is alot of money ! if you have any numbers or links i could try would be great. Another questions is are any of you registered self employed or all work for companies on the books ? Reason i ask, i am currently registered self employed and have been for the past 3 years, do you rekcon i should de-register ? Thanks again
Unfortunately there are not many operator training schools/centres in SA, so most training is done on the job. Most chaps here either started when they were young, ie:14 etc, or were previously employed as landscapers and gardeners, and simply got into it because their boss had the contacts and they had the enthusiasm to try operating out. So the boss takes him (or her) to the contact or machine and has them trained on the machine. The rest is history, and even several operators are illiterate or don't have a drivers licence, but what these chaps do cannot be replicated through neither art nor science. Although you say that there isn't good money in operating, it is one of the highest paying jobs on a construction site, probably just below the site agent, if not exceeding his pay. Most of our operators get into it because of the money. I am also looking to start out, but rather as a contractor/plant hirer. Any pointers? I can get an operator, and have the machine (in mind) knowledge, but i lack the capital, but not the passion.:my2c
Very good point from Eddie :thumbsup, being a one man I'm alright jack sort of bloke I completely forgot about the training programs. That is serious info and well worth further investigation. Dont rush to deregister, it will only cost you the class 2 stamp to stay self employed, and if you get the start on the books it doesnt matter, you can be both. Even if you are VAT registered DONT cancel it, you will still have to do a Quarterly return it will just be very easy Its a PITA trying to re register if things change and you want to set up on your own again.
That is the joys, pains and pleasures, not always in equal amounts or the order you want them in for living on different parts of this wonderful planet of ours. I fear our countrys are worlds apart in more ways than one. :drinkup ? Is your handle in reference to the manufacturer, or an existing occupation