Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice on swing cyl repair 555D Ford

LeakyBoot ยท 2010-10-22 08:45

Leaking around shaft so removed and took to a hyd repair shop that does this work. Told them problem and when I went to pick it up they said it didn't have any type shaft seal so just put it back together and said $25. I ask---no U cup or anything. Nothing--just a smooth bore with rod wiper on ouside of the trunion head. I said---can't be???? Come home and looked up the exploded view on web and has at least 2 rod seals in diagram. I ordered kit from New Holland and will be here late today. Is this shop goofy or what? I usually repair my stuff but thought I'd take the easy route this time. Really working out. I'm going to take it apart and look it over. Anyone have one of these apart? LB

Replies2
  1. #1LeakyBoot2010-10-22 15:28

    Update--drove the 50 mile trip, went in the back door and got my cylinder off the bench. Came home and took it apart. There are the seals just like any cylinder. What of waste of time and money. Do it yourself if all possible. LB

  2. #2willie592010-10-22 20:11

    I do declare I've never heard a shop say something as ridiculous as that! At least they only hit ya for only 25 bucks. More, and I think I would have blown a seal. :yup