Hey fellas, first post in this section. I've searched the internet and this forum, for the last few hours trying to find the info, to no avail. I'm a little embarrassed to ask this, but I'd like to be able to air up my tires or use an air tool from the on board air compressor of the Cat engine on my GMC C6500. Is it advisable to take one of the plugs out of the air tank and hook up a quick coupler or is there a better site. Is it better to adapt a glad hand? Any advice or pics would be appreciated. TIA, Duke
Anyone..................Anyone??? Bueller...................Bueller???
We do this all the time. Works great for airing up tires on the truck or any other equipment that go flat.
Ditto
It is much better to take out a plug and put a quick-connect directly into the tank. A lot of people just put a gladhand on the end of an air hose and hook it to the red hose for the trailer, but you won't get enough air to run a tool through the brake valve.
Try to use a plug in the middle of the tank. the ones at the bottom tend to puke nothing but snot.
Thanks for all the replies. This C6500 is a Western Hauler with a goose neck set up, so it doesn't have the gladhands. I'll look for a plug in the middle. Is it necessary to put a shutoff valve between the tank and the quick connect? Is there a particular line I should get, if I decide extend the quick connect from the tank to an easy access spot of the bed or in the tool box? TIA, Duke
DOT rated air brake hose. I like to use push lock type fittings available from your local parker distributor
I usually put a shut off valve at the tank as the female coupler will tend to leak a bit of air - especially once the orings get a bit of dust in them. It depends a bit on how accessible the tank is though! We often leave a male coupler in there with a pipe cap over the end to keep out as much dirt as possible. Andrew
I did this on two flatbed dumps I had. Quick connect on the air tank and ran a hose into the tool box mounted on the frame with a **** off valve in the tool box. Added a small hose reel inside the toolbox, worked great.
Duallie, I went to the Parker webpage. Is this the one you are referring to? Do you have any pics of your setup? http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.de7b26ee6a659c147cf26710237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=fcc9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN&vgnextdiv=&vgnextcatid=127887&vgnextcat=TWIST-LOCK+(SCHRADER+INTERCHANGE)&Wtky=Quick+Couplings Andrew, excellent idea on the capped male coupling. If I run this inside the tool box, do you think I will need it? CM1995 This is exactly what I would like to do. Any pics?
Another thing, before I remove the plug and let the air out of the tank, is there anything that I need to do, except make sure it is in gear and parking brake set?
Sold that truck back in '05 and don't have any pics. It was a simple install, if you use a plastic/rubber line just remember to us a grommet or protect the line from abrasion where it goes through the hole in the toolbox.
Well, I wouldn't just take the plug out of the tank. I'd use the drain on the tank to let the air out. Better than getting hit in the eye with a pipe plug! Beyond that....give 'er! Andrew
Likely wouldn't need it, but I'd still consider it. Unless the box is 100% sealed, it will get dust inside it. But then again, I run a lot of gravel roads. If you are mostly pavement, you likely wouldn't need it. Maybe position the female coupler pointing down, or at least angled so dust doesn't settle into the bottom. Andrew
Roger that! :yup
Open all the drain valves and let the air pressure down to zero, otherwise the plug will fly out of there like a bullet.
Will do Birken! As I understand it the parking brakes will stay locked until air pressure is built back up in the tank, since they are engaged by the lack of air. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, the parking brakes are spring applied and air released.
Thanks Mitch. Now if it would just quit raining, I could get out there and pull a plug and get this project done. Still wouldn't mind seeing some pics of how others have done this. Four days off and I haven't been able to even bush hog or get on my Takeuchi and take out any more sweetgums
No **** this sucks. 4 days of rain, me and the better 1/2 are going stir crazy.:dizzy I have made use of the time, estimated 3 jobs and caught up on the shows on the DVR...
Stir crazy is the word!!!!! I have 20 more acres of under growth to clean up with my Tak TL230, Blue Diamond 72" open face cutter and a 78" Root Grapple. I, also, put the rear end back in my tractor, bought a used (from my neighbor) 8' Bush Hog brand bush hog to clean up the old established pasture and black berry bushes, yet here I sit :Banghead
We have a air hose reel on the GMC,I like it. Try to mount it in a place where its not in the way of operations yet still handy to get to. Just tie in to an air tank. www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200343965_200343965
I dont want to argue, but I can run a 3/4 impact though my brake line. I would agree that a fitting plumbed in to the tank may be a better bet though.
Thanks again for the replies.I crawled up under the GMC C6500 today and it has 2 air tanks with a bunch of lines coming out, almost, every plug. Does it matter what tank I use? Also, what are those regulator looking things? Here are some pics. Driver side front with drain and a valve stem/cover and rear Passenger side front, rear with top part of elbow capped of, and drain on bottom
Good rigging!
I'd use the top one in the first picture.
put a valve on the bottom while your at it so you can drain the water off