Good morning "All" , I'll be 81 years old in 5 days and I have an HD11 I've owned for about 20 years that needs some work on it . Needs a left side steering clutch ( aftermarket still available) ( If I want to turn left I back up ) which I've been using for years . Got a hydraulic leak out of the hydraulic tank .( Just been adding fluid for a few years) . Has a enclosed cab with a heater and two good batteries . I run it a couple of time's a year on snow removal and very light work . I've got extra pads and rails for it . It needs a new home . Get in touch if your interested at my [email protected] address . I am getting a bit long in the tooth for it any more . Thanks for reading this . James E. "Mac" McGrail located in Virginia mountains about 70 miles west of Washington , D.C. .
Post some pics. and put it on the for sale/wanted forum on here. Good to hear you're still running equipment into your 80's.
It would be nice to see a couple of pics of the old girl. On another note I worked with a man many years ago when Great Northern Paper Co. was still operating in Maine, I delivered pulpwood and he was a weight master at the time, anyway...I'm 67 now and halfazzed retired, I do earthwork in the summer and tend fires in the winter and plow a few driveways. I ran into a person yesterday that invited me to that persons birthday party.....he is turning 100 in March! I asked how the guy was doing and he told me he was great, out grooming trails yesterday for their snowmobile club! The moral of the story is...some people age better than others.
Hi "Welder Dave" and all , Thanks for the reply of yesterday . I would put pictures and an ad on the forum you mentioned ( for sale/wanted forum ) here but I really barely new how to even post a reply to your post . I'm almost completely illiterate when it comes to using a computer . I live back in the mountains by myself and I lost my "Lady" Dec. 28 , 2021 in a car accident and she did the computer stuff . Don't really want to make a lot of money off of the ACHD 11 and would really just like somebody that could afford to bring it up to good usable standards . I never could afford to do that . I think the steering clutch parts are about $7,000.00 and the hydraulic leak is really probably just a matter of physically taking the cab off and getting to the bottom of the fuel tank for a repair . My finances aren't great and physically the job is probably beyond my capabilities . I can do the smaller things that it needs to keep using it for really big snow removal ( fortunately not often --- 31" though and it was a walk in the park with that machine when my old 1997 GMC 4 w23heel drive couldn't touch it ) and light rock removal and the like . I keep the fuel topped up to keep condensation down and "Stable" in it and all the fluids up and as clean as I'm able but that's about all I can handle t6hese days . It needs one pad ( I have a whole extra track ) but haven't tried that yet . If you know how to forward this to the sales forum please do so . It's serial number is ----- B2675 and it's engine serial number is ------ 95042 if that helps . I would appreciate any help I get on here with selling it to a good home . My "E" mail is [email protected] if anybody is interested . My name is Mac McGrail and I am located in the first small valley on the back of the front range of the "Blue Ridge Mountains" about 70 miles west of Washington D.C. in a place called Huntly , Virginia . Thank you .
I'm about the same with computers as you, however someone here may be able to help with the posting and pics. I do wish I wasn't 700 miles away as I would like to come and have a look at the tractor, but the cost of traveling alone prevents me from doing that. I always had a soft spot for the AC dozers, if I see it I would probably have to have it...hahaha, and it would cost more than it's worth just to get it moved with today's prices. Anyway, I hope you can make a deal with someone and get a fair price for it. Good luck and God bless.
Good morning Mcrafty1 and All , My old body is telling me I should have taken better care of myself back a half a century ago when those "Old Foggys" on the jobs told me that running around in my blue genes and light jackets in 15 degree weather would make me pay eventually . Well they are laughing at me and my aches and arthritic pains and bad knee and shoulder now up there . I can still cut my way out of back here with a chain saw and push the dead fall out of the way with my old pickup but that's getting to be the most for me . Should have listened . Good to here there are some guys that are ageing better than I am but I'm not giving up yet . I wouldn't know how to live anywhere else and this mountain wooded place has been my home for over half a century . My very best to everybody out there that can still "cut it" !! Mac McGrail
Thank you Mcrafty1 Hang in there !! Mac McGrail
I dream about getting to be in my 80's...hahaha. Like you, if I'd have thought I was going to live as long as I have I'd have taken a lot better care of myself so that probably won't happen. You sound like grit and determination has brought you to this day. Sorry to hear about the loss of you lady, that has to be a hard thing for anyone. I've been with the same woman for 48 years, we married young and stood by our commitment and I wouldn't change a thing, she's in better shape than I by a long shot and I would be totally lost without her. Again, I wish you the very best and hope you can continue to live where you want to be. I wish you all the best.
I got a former farmer client who turned 102 last December, who is still going well - and my nephews neighbour is 103, and he built himself a decent home extension when he was 99! Another business associate only just retired from his engineering/machining business around 2-1/2 yrs ago, and he was 86! His engineering and machining, was still impeccable, and his large workshop with about a dozen machines, was a site to see! He's still in fine shape at 89. This was his auction in July 2020, everything in there brought top dollar! - https://auctions.com.au/auctions/20...-pty-ltd-workshop-closure-online-auction.html I cut my teeth on a cable blade A-C HD11 when I was 16! The darn thing nearly broke the brother and I for a couple of years - and the only time we made any money, was when we sold it, and bought a new Cat D6C! New A-C undercarriage has been unobtainable for years, so the numbers are steadily dwindling. I hope you find a buyer for her, Mac - and I'm sorry to hear you lost your partner to a car crash - nothing worse than getting older and losing your strength, and not having a helper.
This story is a favourite of mine. The Commer “knocker” motor would be worthy of a thread of its own.
Then there's this old good barstard.
You gotta laugh at the old fella with the timber mill - capable of building or fixing anything around - but he still hasn't got around to fixing that gate on the house yard, that he uses every day! LOL I can recall a story from quite a few years back, they interviewed this old fella who was America's oldest long-distance trucker - he was 94! I can't find the story now. I don't know long he kept at it for, but he was in good physical shape, he only looked about 70. The main problem with seriously advanced age is your legs give out on you, you need to sit down a lot more!
Hi Mac ! I'm really sorry to read about the tragic death of your "Lady" Do you know anyone that could help you post some photos of your dozer ? I remember you quite well. We exchanged information a couple of years ago. You have another username The Redoubt1942 ! You are 10 days older than me. One of my daughters gave me a new electric chainsaw for Christmas last year and I am still able to use it. Darn thing is amazing.