So I couldnt get the blade to move and when i checked the hydraulic tank it was low so i added hydraulic to it and tried again. the blade still wouldnt move. i shut down the dozer and checked the hydraulic again and it was low. i looked everywhere and found a massive leak directly under the dozer. i know its a hydraulic line but my question is if needed how do i raise the cab so i can get to the rest of the hydraulic lines.... any information will help. thanks in advance.
Have you check to see if there is an operators manual in the machine? Often they are located in a pouch on the back of the seat.
When my company bought this dozer it didn’t have any kind of manuals in it unfortunately
You don’t raise the cab on a d6n. You can pull the floor plates and covers inside the cab as needed or pull a stump pan. Cab is one unit and is usually left on for leak repairs. Sounds like you may have a main pump line leak so probably start by removing the floor mat and taking the plate off under your feet.
Sweet! I will do that! Thank you so much !
Well I just spent a good amount of time looking on SIS at the operator/maintenance manual and could not see anything about raising or tilting the cab! Could it be there are floor panels under floormat that you can remove for access? Guess taking time out to accompany wife to doctor let Mobiltec come up with the answer, should have checked before writing my reply!
Not sure if the company would be interested but here is what can be had for a S/N prefix of NJN which I think might be your machine, note the bottom info about being able to download the files in place of waiting for the CD's: $49.00 for operators manual would be a bargain in my mind, parts manual for $109 also a good deal if you are going to be keeping the machine for any length of time! Heck $638 for the Service manual would probably pay for itself in one or two service calls from the dealer. And NO! I don't get a kick-back from Cat for promoting these manuals I just know how handy they are for any machine be it a D6N or a washing machine!
Unfortunately I found the problem and yes it’s the main hydraulic hose that’s leaking. I have to go underneath to get it. Is there an easy way of doing that because that pan looks heavy. It’s got 6 1 3/16th bolts on both sides to remove. Thank you everyone for your replies!
No easy way and be careful, that guard will be much heavier than you think because it will be packed full of oil-soaked dirt. It would help if the tractor was on a concrete surface or at least some sort of hard floor, and you'll need a hydraulic jack as well. See attachment.
That arrow is where it’s leaking
We can’t move it is the bad part. Once the dozer starts it just pours out All the hydraulic. This is where I believe is that best option to get to that hose..
I have used a piece of 3/4 plywood with a floor jack to support the pan. Or in a real bad spot a few heavy duty ratchet straps will hold it up until you get all bolts out.
The ratchet strap idea works really well on convex belly guards, but the one on the OP's machine is flat and is recessed up above the frame. It may require a bit of ingenuity to get the ratchet straps to hold the weight.
Ok sweet I’ll try that and post my results! Thank you all!
The belly guards weigh between 100-150 pounds each, depending on which one you remove. Budget for double that with the dirt, etc........
I've always used a 3/4 or 1 ton come along with the ratchet hook on one track that the hook on the other. I'll pull everything up tight and loosen the bolts to start with. Once loose I can reach them from under the tracks and take them out. The I lower the pan. Sometimes I would pull the pan out of the way, in swampy ground, I would just leave it there and work from on top of it. When the machine is running I would move it off and clean out the pans for going back up. Plywood will have to be pretty thick to hold up the weight on one of those pans with a floor jack.
Ya the plywood I used kinda sunk a bit but I finally got it. Thank you all for your feedback. It helped a lot today
When you get the old hose off take a look for an aluminium tag right next to one of the end fittings (if it’s still there). That tag will have the hose Part Number stamped on it.
Those stump pans are widowmakers. Do not underestimate them and stay as clear of them as you can when taking the bolts out even if you think they are securely supported.
I must admit I was also sweating a bit until you reported that you successfully managed to remove it. Be just as careful putting it back, even though it will weigh less.
Glad to hear you got the pan down and lived to tell us! I would look over everything you can see with that pan down so as to not have to do thins again soon. Also I would use some good anti-seize on the bolts holding it on as those can at times be a problem.
I like the fact that the belly pan on my 931B has only 2 bolts underneath and the other bolts are on the side. Take the 2 on the bottom out, put a jack under the pan and remove the bolts from the side through the tracks. No chance it can fall on you.
It turned out to be a pain in the neck but the job is finally finished and our dozer is up and running again! Who would’ve thought it would be so much work just to change one hose underneath the belly pan
I have looked after one of those for about 10 years now and have been there and done that a couple times. Those are excellent machines but some of those hoses are real cussfights. Good job gettin' r' done!